Sailors with implants?

I live not too far away from DT headquarters, up in Vancouver, BC; I am also an avid sailor. I’m wondering if there is anyone with a NExT or similar implant installed between their index and thumb and if it ever gets in the way while trimming the sails?

3 Likes

hah that’s so specific… but a good question. We have people who grapple, rock climb, shoot firearms, practice martial arts, etc. etc. etc. and I think the only thing that might cause a serious problem for implants would be;

1. not allowing 30 days for full healing before engaging in activities which would put pressure on or cause tension at the implant site.

2. engage in activities after healing which would cause immense tension on the implant… imagine trying to push your hand into a very tight pocket of some jeans, or push it through or pull it out of a can of Pringles potato chips where the surface skin of the hand is pushed or pulled with great tension… if the implant is caught between you and that external surface, it could physically push the chip out of its collagen encapsulation cocoon.

2 Likes

:laughing:unnamed

4 Likes

Thanks for this…Now I just have to wait for my last race of the year so I can implant this and let it heal for a few weeks before my first race in January.

1 Like

I do know of one Sailor who has implants
so to answer your question
No they don’t appear to get in the way;
In saying that, weirdly, I think they are in his forearms…

popeye

2 Likes

As some one who is into rock climbing after letting it fully heal I never even notice it while climbing or belaying. its not exactly sailing but it uses rope and lots or hand exercise.

5 Likes