Small Tampermonkey script to truly ignore users

No worries, I don’t block people who disagree with me.

Prove: You’re still talking with me :stuck_out_tongue:

I could not block you even if someone paid me to.

kisses

(I love those stickers, simply because they are incredibly inappropriate for anyone who knows me :smile:)

isnt that why you ignore people? lol

Nope. I have other criteria. Opposing opinions isn’t one of them.

Clever little script @anon3825968
Questions:
What happens if the person(s) you block are quoted by somebody else in the thread?

Have you got it running on both your computer and phone?
I know there is a tampermonkey app for android, but not sure about iOS

I still use @leumas95 Tampermonkey script for Amals Avatar change (can be modded for anybodys) Also clever and I love it

1 Like

It just hides mentions of hidden posts in threads opened by someone other than the hidden poster. It doesn’t hide quotes (but Discourse does hide the content) and it doesn’t hide the original post if they opened the thread (Discourse takes care of that too). I only tried it in a desktop browser. Firefox to be precise. It’s just a quick-and-dirty thing I made for myself to increase S/N really.

I don’t use my phone for anything other than placing phone calls, unless I have to. It may or may not work in a mobile browser, I wouldn’t know. Sorry. Probably doesn’t - mobile browsers aren’t terribly good at being compatible with their desktop brethren.

Ah, cool. Makes sense, thanks for the reply.

I’m pretty sure we all know why you made it I think I know why you made it.
I love the fact you have the ability to see a “problem” and make something to fix it, and most of all, to share it, So thanks for that. :+1:

1 Like

Here’s an updated version that also hides in-reply quotes from ignored users, as well as any likes they might have given, so you can truly expunge them from your forum viewing experience and reclaim more wasted display real-estate :slight_smile:

// ==UserScript==
// @name     Really ignore ignored users on DT
// @include  https://*.dangerousthings.com/*
// @require  http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.0/jquery.min.js
// @require  https://gist.github.com/raw/2625891/waitForKeyElements.js
// @version  1
// @grant    None
// @run-at   document-start
// ==/UserScript==

console.log("DT forum ignored users killer started")

waitForKeyElements("div", zapIgnoredUsers1);
waitForKeyElements("aside", zapIgnoredUsers2);

function zapIgnoredUsers1(jNode) {
  if ((jNode.attr("class") == "gap" && jNode.text().match(/view [0-9]+ hidden repl[y|ies]/)) || jNode.attr("class") == "unknown") {
      jNode.attr("class", "hidden");
    console.log("killed " + jNode.text());
  }
}

function zapIgnoredUsers2(jNode) {
  if (jNode.attr("class").match(/ignored-user/)) {
      jNode.attr("class", "hidden");
    console.log("killed " + jNode.text());
  }
}

That seems like a lot of work for something that can be accomplished with a scroll wheel, but, to each their own.

The real added value of course is that those people are fully disappeared. Out of screen and out of mind. It’s like they never existed. Discourse won’t let you ignore that you ignored someone. This script completes the job.

Also, I’m known to do whatever it takes to solve whatever pointless problem I latch onto :slight_smile:

If you fully and completely banish someone from your life you can’t see what they’re saying about you in the interstitial space they now inhabit :joy: it might seem like your exerting your power over them but you’re giving them power over you

1 Like

I’ve only had to use the block feature of a forum once (no, not this forum). And it was because a particular user was trying to infuriate me… He finally got banned as the admin got fed up with his insults.

I’ve taken a more proactive approach to filtering content on the internet over the years.

The problem with the internet is, everybody has a voice even if you don’t like them. In real life, you can tell people you don’t want to talk to off, and if they insist on buzzing around you, you can kick their ass until they stop. On the internet, you have to suffer the fools unless THEY decide to shut their trap.

That ain’t right, I don’t see why I should. So on occasion, I silence them to surround myself only with decent individuals. Life is more pleasant that way.

Anyhow, like I said, it’s an option. Everybody’s free not to use it.

i know im on this blocklist but its hilarious that “blocking everyone who doesnt share your exact opinion” if the definition of an echo chamber

3 Likes

jesus man, for your own sake I hope you arent going around beating the shit out of people you disagree with

Of course not. I’m a peace-loving and peaceful individual :wink:

I was just saying, in real life, people usually take the hint that you don’t want to listen to them because ultimately physical interaction can happen. And you can leave the place with your friends and go someplace else too. Not so on the the intarweb. Hence this script.

Anyway, the script is there for those who’d like to use it.

I know I’m on this blocklist but it’s hilarious that “blocking everyone who doesn’t share your exact opinion” is the definition of an echo chamber
Actually a paraphrase as I fixed the punctuation and typos. This was said by “an angry ball of something”

While that is the definition, I don’t think that @anon3825968 is blocking people just because they disagree with him. As far as I know I am not blocked and I know we don’t agree on everything.

However, he is blocking some people. I know in real life there are some people that just rub me up the wrong way. While I will argue with them on the technical merits of some things I frequently avoid doing so because it will become personal and neither of us will achieve anything useful. I try and avoid meeting with them entirely.

1 Like

Same here - no need to agree on everything just to get along well.
But people who just stir up shit for the sake of it… well, I usually avoid such people as well :wink:

2 Likes