Something Dangerous this way comes

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 18.42.05
excited

7 Likes

Wow, that was quick! Package reached here (southern Europe) in under a week, giving me a couple of days to set up and learn to drive the Proxmark before this weekend’s xMagic install.
The excitement mounts!

1 Like

do you need a hand?

https://forum.dangerousthings.com/t/handy-dandy-tips-and-tricks/13041/14?u=pilgrimsmaster

Probably! I’ll start with the excellent links you’ve posted and let you know if I get stuck. Thank you! :rat:

2 Likes

Woah!! Completely out of my depth. Let’s start with an easy question: What’s the difference between the two ports?

1 Like

B is power only for using it with a battery pack in standalone mode

You want A for plugging it into a computer

4 Likes

Thank you Aoxy!
OK next noob question: The PM3 from DT has Iceman Firmware preloaded but all the other things I am being asked to do are to get my computer ( :green_apple:) ready to talk to the Proxmark, correct?

• Install XCode Command Line Tools
  • Install homebrew
  • Install quartz
  • brew tap RfidResearchGroup/proxmark3
  • Install Proxmark3
  • Upgrade HomeBrew tap formula
  • Flash the BOOTROM & FULLIMAGE
  • Run the client

Did I miss out any steps? Are there things on the list that I don’t need to do because they’re already pre-installed?
All the words above are in English, right? Until today if I had to make a sentence from these words I could say “He drank too much of his home-brew and ended up flashing the neighbours. Police were called and he ended up tapping out in a cell.”

What language are you people using?!

1 Like

I’ve got as far as the fourth step:

This stage finished with this series of messages:

What should I do next?

I’d try running the “brew link --overwrite --dry-run python@3.11” and see what information that yields

Though it also looks like that error may not be critical, as the rest of the install continued to succeed, so you may be able to just continue

1 Like

That produced this:

I would leave it be for now, the link it wants is already there, with any luck the existing one will be compatible

This is just restating the issue it raised at the start, right?

But you reckon I probably don’t want to remove it?

That’s correct, I would leave it as-is for now, and see if it causes any errors later on

I got PM3 up and running but I see two potential obstacles:

1. Underneath the “PM3” ASCI logo I see this:

1. When I do the next stage ( Verify sim module firmware version) it throws up this error:

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 01.55.02

“device / fw mismatch” should be resolved by running the pm3-flash-all script, it just means your PM3 isn’t running the same version as your client.

You’ll also want to be sure you have selected the correct target “PM3Generic” instead of RDV4 in Makefile.platform

I’m not sure about the smart car module part, but there’s a chance the above will solve it too

The client and fw look like the same version but the target might be wrong… meaning did you update your makefile to ensure the hardware version is correct? Iceman defaults to the rdv4 hardware. You have to update your makefile then recompile then flash

1 Like

:point_up_2:
@LabRat I hear you reapeating yourself

Which I found pretty funny :rofl:
Hopefully this helps

I Ass-U-Me Mac and PC are similar enough for this to work for you

notepad Makefile.platform

Change this ( just move the # )
PLATFORM=PM3RDV4
#PLATFORM=PM3GENERIC

to this
#PLATFORM=PM3RDV4
PLATFORM=PM3GENERIC

File - Save - Close

2 Likes

Amal, waddya take me for?! Of course I updated my makefile!! I did it right after flashing the mainframe predongle and rebooting client-side segments of the baud debugging clock. You should see the updump throughput speeds I’m getting out of the master afterburner chip!
And all this before breakfast.

Seriously though, let me see if I have understood Pilgrimsmaster’s guidelines:
While Mac does have an app called Notes which acts as a notepad, it doesn’t create separate documents so I imagine I have to create a file called Makefile.platform in mac’s onboard texeditor - TextEdit. This file need only contain the following information:

#PLATFORM=PM3RDV4
PLATFORM=PM3GENERIC

Then I go into Mac’s Terminal and recompile the flash which is the item in the “Mac OS X - Homebrew automatic installation” instructions called:

• Flash the BOOTROM & FULLIMAGE

Correct?

1 Like

Thread disclaimer: I know that there will be some of you that are used to compiling code that will find these highly simplified explanations painfully basic and eye rolley but I think that there are many chiplings like me who outgrow the phone-programmed NTAGs and want to progress to the next level but who are blocked at the first “flash your P-dongle and tweak your loading buffer” and get no further.
If this market is to expand into general use by a far wider public (something which I think has to happen if we want the kind of level of mainstream trust that will for example persuade banks that subdermal chip payments are a viable commercial venture and keep Amal and the gang developing new products for us as a consequence) we have to make the Proxmark level chip programming stage as accessible as possible.

3 Likes

There is already an existing file called “Makefile.platform.sample”, copy this file to one called “Makefile.platform” and then move the pound sign as described there

And then I would recompile the whole thing and progress from there, starting at the “make clean && make -j” step, I believe

2 Likes