Teenager getting NeXT implant, self install

I’m a teenager and I’m considering self installing a NExT. I really can’t find anywhere close to me that would do it. I’m worried about infection risk and the possibility of the chip staying in the injector.

1 Like

Go with a professional. Especially if it’s your first. I decided not to, and my first install did not go well and I wasted the cost of an xSIID. Have you checked the partner map yet at https://dangerousthings.com/partners ?

3 Likes

We here would always recommend a professional
However

What flavour teenager?
There’s a legal difference in most countries between a 13yo and a 19yo

is that because they can’t do it legally?
They can’t or won’t do subdermal implants?
Is that because of your age?

What city do you live in? People here maybe able to direct you or possibly even help you?

Do you have any medically trained family / friends? Doctor/nurse/ medic / veterinarian

THESE may also help

read https://dangerousthings.com/wp-content/uploads/Introduction-to-Implantable-Transponders-for-Professionals.pdf ?

read https://dangerousthings.com/wp-content/uploads/Professional-Guide-to-2x12mm-transponder-installation.pdf ?

Watch Installation procedure Guide 1

Watch Installation Procedure Guide 2

Watch Needle insertion angle

How to approach a professional DT Info

3 Likes

I did check, and there are not any near my location, nor are there any piercing shops whatsoever.

Adding to all the good questions Pilgrim already asked - do you have any experience with piercings, bodymods, first aid, anatomy, medical stuff, anything like that?
I am generally not a friend of self-installs, but I think it’s a difference if someone is totally new to this all, or if someone has at least some experience in any of the above fields. For example, infection risk can be minimized if you take a lot of care about cross-contamination and the like, and general risk can be reduced if you know your anatomy well enough.

2 Likes

A Professional in this instance can also be a nurse or PT therapist who specializes in recovering use of the hands. Both should know enough about keeping wound areas clean and basic anatomy of the skin, muscle, etc layers that they can do a sterile install without much trouble. You can ask friends and family about these professionals as well.

1 Like

adopt a sick animal and make friends with your vet. win win

I installed a vivokey spark 2 in my left hand myself using a pair of forcepts to hold the skin. But the NeXT I have in my right hand I had my friend do since it was in my dominant hand (she works in an animal hospital and does anesthetic for animal surgery among other things). She said it was a lot lot chipping a dog :rofl:

Anyway I am not a teenager but I was fine doing a self install however I also had prior experience and supplies for keeping a sterile area from culturing mushrooms.

2 Likes

I ended up doing all 3 of my implants myself. I don’t have anyone in my area that can do these, or any other implant due to some ridiculous laws. I got a friend to try to “help” me install my xSIID, didn’t work out, so I just ended up doing that one myself too. That said, I don’t want to scare you, however installing any implant in your hand is pretty dangerous if you’re not sure what you’re doing. It’s not just about bleeding or infection, there are a lot of structures (like nerves) that can easily get damaged in the process. I trust myself and know my body. You might be able to find some biohackers in your area that aren’t exactly licensed (lol) but willing to help, worth a shot.

I laughed, but that genuinly a good idea :rofl:

edit: the being friends with a vet, not getting a pet just to achieve that. Remember pets are forever! :heart:

I did my first install myself. Though I’ve had piercings and had first aid gear at my house already.

Though there is always the option of something going wrong.

*cough cough: https://forum.dangerousthings.com/t/failure-is-always-and-option *

2 Likes