The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 19.03.12
I go and get a teaā€¦

3 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: What cards work for conversion to microcard implant?

Thatā€™s pretty much my thing here too - it just feels strange. The things @RyuuzakiJulio says are, from an intellectual point of view, totally valid - but on an emotional level, I just canā€™t fully agree.

That example is just perfect for my feeling - it is, technically, correct. But it feels wrong on many levels - the fact that the man is the husband of the angry wife he cheated on is his problem as well, because the marriage seemed to include some kind of exclusivity considering sex, and he agreed on that and kinda broke that agreement.

Partly, yes - I can decide if I want to get mad about something or not, to a degree. But some deeds, words, actions are clearly able to seriously hurt someone, and I think it is in our responsibility to try to avoid that, if possible. Taking extreme examples again (and because the topic was already touched) - I wouldnā€™t find it appropriate to walk into a meeting of holocaust survivors while showing a swastika tattoo on my skin, even if I decided to get it done because itā€™s a symbol of luck in Asia.
It would obviously be offensive.
Other example - Iā€™ve got two ravens on my back, and that might be offensive to people with massive fear of birds. But that is pretty rare, and I canā€™t know that in advance, so I wonā€™t cover my tat everywhere I go.
Third example - some people are offended by a lot of things, and might as well be offended by my sheer existance. Okay, at that point, itā€™s definitely no longer my problem, sorry. :wink:

I think if we know something will seriously affect someone else (and no, I have no idea where to draw that line), we are responsible for how we behave. Not saying you are not allowed to go into the holocaust-survivor-meeting with a swastika tattoo, but you should be pretty aware of the consequences and not hide behind ā€œthat wasnā€™t the meaning I intended it to be, so itā€™s your own fault if youā€™re angry nowā€ :wink:

Same here :wink:

2 Likes

I love your examples, do touch on that ā€œfeelingsā€ part.
Of course, we are emotional creatures.

The husband example wasnā€™t a robot.
He as an adult surely knew the probable consequences of having outside marriage unprotected physical relations with no other than ā€œthe maidā€. A moment of weakness or whatever he decides to feel about it.

The point of the story was to show that no matter of other peopleā€™s actions, we are still individuals that will have to confront the events caused by another person.

The maid will have to decide if she wants to keep the kid or not.
The husband will have to decide if he wants to take care of his new child or run away or whatever, if he wants to appeal to continue the marriage under whatever basis he can come up in his head.
The wife will have to decide if she wants to continue the relationship, end it, take revenge, shoot them both.

IDK, pretty much (Insert here possible reactions for each individual)

Swastica on an holocaust survivors meeting.
You own your actions, and you could probably slide in.
But again, you canā€™t control how they will react.
Perhaps your idea of having the swastica tattoo is a way to make people always remember the ā€œhorrors of historyā€ and you advocate for never forgetting the suffering that this holocaust survivors endured. So you use a controversial imagery as a public way to attract attention so you can deliver your message.
Perhaps they come and hug you in gratitude for permanently carrying with you memories of their pain at the cost of being accused and abused wherever you show yourself with that symbolism in order to make the world always remember what happened to them.

Or you could trigger a more unstable person to commit a serious crime against you for carrying that imageryā€¦

Full circle back, and we are back on the type of person that would react negatively to the actions of other un-related people just because they liked a tattoo.

Btw an asian 卍 and 卐 characters of swastica is not angled like the nazzi one.

1 Like
Caution! You are one click away to be triggered!

Have you ever repeated a word until it lost its meaning? (semantic satination)
vs
Keep a symbol as taboo, therefore preserving itā€™s power to shock.
giphy (3)giphy (2)
I donā€™t blame the German approach at all! They were collectively treated guilty and they collectively had to come up with a response. Well done on that. imho.

On the other hand I wish to see a political artist who would dare to spam a country with swastikas to reclaim it from the NSDAP once ā€˜nā€™ for all.
Ai Weiwei filled Tate Modern to the ankle with sunflower seeds. That was just as political as the theoretical example I mentioned above.

ohh, and more South Park reference, for good measure:

But it takes 22.3 years. Because of emotionsā€¦

tenor (1)

2 Likes

@amal

So those new pcb antennas

Iā€™m assuming they are fairly rigid now with no flex?
This is a good thing for durability right?

Does this change suitable locations much?

Also for no reason whatsoever,

Iā€™m curious how radio opaque those are compared to the flex wedge, they look gorgeous and it would be nifty if they showed up nicely on X-ray

oh they are still quite flexible ā€¦ but moving the chip to the center means the edges are now like wingsā€¦ they can flap up and down but overall the center ā€œbodyā€ will be rigid. the important thing for robustness is not the rigidity but the type of connection the chip will have to the antennaā€¦ it will not be a 0.1mm wire welded to a tiny trace on the MOB package, but a nice fat wide solder pad with lead free solderā€¦ and the metal ā€œwingsā€ on the MOB package itself are also designed to move and flex a bit tooā€¦ so short of a burst of several massive impacts, I donā€™t think itā€™s going to break connection.

not really

probably not all that different actuallyā€¦ itā€™s kapton with some solder mask on top. more so than the biopoly alone of course, but probably not much difference to be honest.

Never said about getting a degree, just about feeling it and actually knowing what it means and how significant it is for another culture.

So what are your thoughts on someone walking down the street with a Golliwog tattoo? (honest question)

Or a depiction of mohammed?

If you feel belonging, that is all that mattersā€¦

I think this is a whole mile apart from my original point.

This is a good example of something which has been ā€œdeculturalizedā€.

No matter was the original meaning in Japan, now that emoji is part of a wider culture where it has a completely different meaning.

Another great example of that is the Swastika.

It had a very positive meaning. Had been present in multiple cultures, in multiple religions, always as a completely positive symbol with a beautiful meaning!

Then the Nazi party decided to take that as their iconā€¦ and now you canā€™t even talk about it without being judgedā€¦

I agree completely here!
I never said people should not be able to do things.

Take a look at my example: ā€œBlackfaceā€. not even many years ago, so many (not all, ofc) people were doing that while actually believing they were being ā€œin support of the african-american communityā€ā€¦ while they were actually just being offensive, without even realising.

Just like a random dude with a Maori tattooā€¦ he thinks he is being rad and that the Maori will love him for thatā€¦ but they will actually feel disrespected.

etc, etcā€¦

If you think you are annoying me, quite the contrary!!

I do enjoy a good debate with clever people with diverging opinions from mine!
Itā€™s a great way to grow!! :grin:

2 Likes

So hereā€™s the questionā€¦

Whereā€™s the line when traditional styles start to blend together

Or how much ā€œinfluenceā€ are you allowed to draw from a traditional style, that you may not belong to

Itā€™s an interesting philosophical debate

Well, then how about:
source (3)
The maoi, who claims moral high-ground,
is just as wrong as one who culturally mis-appropriate!
images (8)

Either ALL plays by the rules,
or might as well grap a stick and let the strongest win?

ĀÆ7(Āŗ_o)/ĀÆ

Story of my day

Today I went to the shop, and the security guy aĢ¶sĢ¶kĢ¶eĢ¶dĢ¶ Ģ¶mĢ¶eĢ¶ Ģ¶tĢ¶oĢ¶ Ģ¶tĢ¶aĢ¶kĢ¶eĢ¶ Ģ¶oĢ¶fĢ¶fĢ¶ fucking told me off for wearing my hoodies.
I was like

Bro! :point_right: :mask: :point_left:
And he pointed at the security camerasā€¦ plus waved another employee over to back him upā€¦
-$Åŗā‚¬āˆ†$ā‚¬āˆ‚@ęĀ©???
Anyways I pulled off my hood and was looking at some dead animals, but my moral compass didnā€™t stop swinging.
Aaaand then I was another guy in the shop in hoodies.:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:
I need to mention I was stopped str8 upon entrance!!! So Iā€™m pointing at the guy in the middle of the shop,
:point_right: :point_right: :point_right: :point_right: :point_right:18eb529ae00f4b7f5924b3b6e928878c
I was like: WTF?? Why is that cool?
The guy took it off, and the employee who was waved over tried to get into a debate with meā€¦
I asked him if BURKA was ok?
So he said of course, there is nothing wrong with it.

(imagine the swearword Iā€™m thinking nowā€¦)

No, boy, no!
2f82204842b28bce9349ee412e1cb0c1
You donā€™t justify this! That is discrimination based on religion, that is!

On that note, today I learned that Maori-styles tatoos designed for non-Maori wearers are called kirituhi, and are designed specifically so anyone can have them, thus sharing the Maori customs with others. The traditional ones specifically made for Maori are called ta mokoā€¦ fascinating stuff!

2 Likes

Any! You can argue that anything(!) that is cultural is also appropriated.
However, you can debate the context.

1 Like

Also, most cultural things are just other cultural things blended together; I am not quite sure about the whole cultural appropriation thing

For example, most traditions in my country are just modified pan-slavic tradition which in turn are just modified tradition of the tribes that preceded that etc etc ad nauseum, with some germanic and romance and balkan things sprinkled in. Do you think cultures will ever become homogenous, or will there remain pockets that stay the same?

ā€¢I need to look up that maoi stuff, that is well-interesting.

ā€¢Seems like we are mocking @Eyeux, however itā€™s the opposite.
I have spoken to plenty of guys from NZ admitting to hate seeing their traditional patterns on westerners.

Sure, arguable. It depends how you define culture and how you blend it with ā€˜memeā€™, that is appropriation by definitionā€¦sort of.

McLuhan - Global Village?
=) Atillaā€™s vision is rather dystopic, he thinks cultural tension is going to fuel WWIII.

I thibk that every culture is composed of a series of cultural apropriations with some light modifications, so it is in my opinion a little hypocrytical to claim cultural apropriation. Its 1 am i am sorry if i am not making sense

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with appropriation.
I do it daily =)
Also it is proven to be good way to learn.
Some might call it standing on the shoulder of giants.
Even copying can be ok.

From dialectical to emperical waysā€¦

I repeat myself now: all about the context.

Thus I use the word: ā€œmis-appropriationā€ and so you should.

And I tell you why: I hate the fact that callout culture hijacks the dictionary.
New words get a layer of :poop: meanin, thatā€™s ranked up by google in an instant.
Grooming used to be a pleasure activity, to bond withā€¦
Gaslighter was a thing I kept as treasure in my kitchen at work.
Being awake used to refer to brains that present Ɵwavesā€¦ the list goes on perhapsā€¦

I am intensely tired and should probably sleep, but there is work to do and this conversation is just too interesting. :sweat_smile: The stress in the last few weeks has been off the charts

4 Likes

NOTE, iā€™m still not sure how to hide (blurout) images or blocks of text on this platform.

If someone decides to find my post offensive. Iā€™ll happily take it down. Its never at all my intention to offend absolutely no one. I love you all!

Oh my! Me too, I love to explore other minds and challenge mine to see if I can understand beyond my cultural blockage, perhaps I am way too much detached from a single mindsetā€¦

Is a tad long, and you donā€™t have to waste your time reading all this, but iā€™ll leave it here as I do enjoy talking to someone. This covid has kept me all year without meeting people, I take all the talk I can lol, here we goā€¦

I donā€™t completely dismiss what you are trying to say.

I was born in a super small town on the country side of Mexico.
Grew up hating gay people, we would yell offensive crap to anyone who was even just a little feminine looking or not the ā€œmachoā€ image we were all supposed to be, thinking that a girl who had sex with someone before me was worthless of my respect, etc, etc, etc, all the macho thing, never seen an Asian or Black person in my life. Rarely any blondie in town.

The first time I actually meet a black person was a church minister that was traveling trough our town. He shake my hand and to be 100% legit honest I felt somewhat disgusted, not even kidding, I literally gagged a little, like 4 real. He was very tall and his hands where so big and his skin very thick, his voice tone, the facial hair, damn even his body odor was a whole different thing, not that he smelled bad, but not pleasant either, my body reacted so strange automatically and my first thought was, I donā€™t know what happened here but I need to go wash my hand. He saw my freaking shock reaction obviously. But then he look at me with the most kind eyes ever, and touch my shoulder and asked me with his deep voice while smiling, ā€œhow are you brother?ā€ DAMN FML, I felt like a complete damn ass completely ashamed of my own damn reaction. He was working with a group of people in building schools for poor people. And holly F, poor ā€œhardworkingā€ mexicans couldnā€™t keep up with him. I saw a straight up leader, someone with passion and compassion for people that wasnā€™t even of his own ā€œkindā€, hardworking as hell, kind, warm hearted, gentile and loving. Then I heard other guys making jokes and talking behind his back about how black people this and that, and I couldnā€™t feel more disgusted to be part of that ā€œcultureā€.

Then moved to Texas, the fake cowboy crap, horses, big trucks, all the fat people and the hardcore ā€œkarensā€ everywhere. Moved to California to become a photographer, buahahaha one of my best friends there was a designer who was gay!!! he took me to damn pride event in SF and saw friken body builder dudes who could squeeze me with their pinky finger holding hands walking completely naked (except shoes) on the street, I thought to myself, (hahaha go ahead and try to yell something offensive to those two??? hell no, I wanna live). The designer was a super funny dude, and patient to explain me all my ā€œdoubtsā€ about ā€œhis kindā€. He loved to have fun of me and to freak me out every time he could with his shocking comments. We worked in many amazing projects together and love him like my own family.

And now in Japanā€¦ canā€™t even start to tell you how many ā€œculture shocksā€ iā€™ve had. And absolutely, to become ā€œsomewhatā€ accepted, I had to drop many ways of thinking that I had when I was in mexico, or america, and I had to learn to understand their culture (in each place I go). And pretty much forget about my own concepts of what I think is right or wrong, learn to see people for what they feel their are, and not for what I think they should be.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

You asked me what do I think about a person with a ā€œGolliwogā€ tattoo, well, first of all, thank you for the link cuz Iā€™m almost 40 and I just learned that that old cartoonish image of a black person is called that. What do I think? Nothing really. Iā€™m not offended or really cared for what that image means to some people. I get it if someone wants to see it offensive, but to me, I donā€™t mind, I can just step aside and let the one who wants to have that tattoo have it and the one who wants to get offended be offended. Depiction of mohammed? the boxer? the god? oh no, thats mohamma?, the guy who was in jail or something? idk. Probably would think is a relative or a singer they like? I think the peopleā€™s actions matter more than what they wear on their bodies or whats painted on their skins.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

I mentioned on a post up there, the Asian Swastika (卍 and 卐) are not angled like the Nazi one, but I get your point, when I came to Japan and saw a map where it showed temples depicted as Swastikas I was shocked until someone told me, lol noooo nazis tilt theirs 45 degrees.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

Poop image is not ā€œde-culturizedā€ in Japan at all. Itā€™s still called Unchi, and is a cute word for kids, the character or references to it, still keep appearing with the same meaning as they did before the emoji was invented even up to this day in anime, movies, tv drama and games.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

I donā€™t know what means by ā€œsupport of african-american communityā€ by using an image of a cartoonish exaggerated black peopleā€™s features.

There was a pokemon Jinx that when it appeared in Japan had the exact same features.
To bring the franchise to America they decided that this pokemon ā€œcouldā€ be considered racist and they decided to change the color to purple.

More even, a lot of Japanese anime depicts black people like this.
Just look at the work of Akira Toriyama, even in Dragon Ball with the character Mr Popo (bottom middle) who is basically a ā€œservantā€ of a ā€œgodā€ like figure dressed up like a ā€œgenieā€ which was a slave.

Is he ā€œracistā€? In the meaning that he believes that the ā€œblackā€ race is inferior and the ā€¦ what? yellow race is superior and all that crap? I donā€™t think so. Can some people be offended? Probably yeah.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

I think that before accusing someone of what we perceive their intentions are, we should really learn what they are coming from. Someone with a Nazi swastica, I would be more insterested in knowing why he has some symbol that many could consider offensive? If his answer is Hail Hittler then ok, he is a fanatic, perhaps dangerous? or just a fool who wants attention.
Same with the ā€œblackfaceā€?

All asians look alike, fuck, some of them even think so themselves. All mexicans wear sombrero, all Japanese know karate, all people with a certain tattoo means this or thatā€¦ is all pre-judging and Iā€™m not in favor of that.

If their intentions are really to harm or offend, then thats another story.

My ex is Vietnamese and her father who barely knew english used to call me ā€œburritoā€.
I felt kinda offended, or like I should be offended, but many days he would bring me something from the store, or cook something special for me, or chill and drink a beer and offer me one. He meant absolutely no harm, at the contrary he was always supper supportive and I learned to push away my own mental blockage of what I think calling me ā€œburritoā€ supposed to mean.

In spanish a ā€œburroā€ is a donkey and is usually referred as an idiot, burrito is like saying ā€œlittle idiotā€, so you can imagine how ā€œoffensiveā€ that was supposed to feel every time that he calls me ā€œhey burrito, you, beer, with me?ā€, u know what, F my real name, lets enjoy a friendly company I decided, and it was fun and very enjoyable our time together.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

So after all those experiences, I canā€™t judge someone just for having a nazi symbol or exaggerated featured black face tattoo, much less for having some design he liked from somewhere else.

I was accepted and loved even with my ā€œoffensiveā€ behavior countless times. I learned to stop being so ā€œdelicateā€ with how I perceive other people.

2 Likes

you got optionsā€¦

1 Like