The anti🚫-derailment🚃 & thread🧵 hijacking🔫 thread🧵 ⁉

Well I did see this the other day

signal-2021-09-16-230148

I think the Dutch may have nicer words :wink:

Yeah, especially Mo-Do had some great lyrics…^^ Although they’re from Italy, I think :wink:
But if you understand a little bit of German, I can really recommend R.M. Rilke - he’s my favourite german poet :slight_smile:

Dutch and German are very similar, in a way, but especially these words always create some problems…^^

Dutch is German without the insane grammar.

3 Likes

Krank house?
House of Kranks
Crazy House.

Hospital and Spital are also valid German words. However…

:finland: Sairaala :finland:

Of course :slight_smile:

I would mention the (Scots) Gaelic word for Hospital is Ospadal, but frankly I suspect that that is a loan word from English. Doctor is Dotair while Healer is Slànachadh which also suggests Doctor is a loan word.

Teacher is Tidseir while Professor is Ollaimh.

I am not an etymologist though (or an entomologist come to that) so I have no sources to back up these observations.

1 Like

Krankenhaus roughly translates to House of the sick. Which is almost as beautiful as Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän

Shop coming along nicely. This poor old girl hasn’t seen the light of day for a few years now.

Swedish made steel by NOHAB @ 99lbs.
There is no metric equivalency for such manly steel.

1 Like

Probably not, but did you get a free handbag when you got that tinker hammer? :hammer:

You mean my Ridgid #303 2-1/2 lb anvil ringer? :grin:
Nope, but I did feel my beard instantly fill in when I picked it up.

1 Like

So it is a 45kg anvil and a 1,136g hammer.

:rofl:

And I am pretty sure that the Swedes use Metric.

I thought it was a Toffee Hammer.

1 Like

Sure nowadays,
Not so much in the early 1920’s (when this one was made), I’d presume.

Here’s a fun one, the earlier anvils had their weights marked in the English Hundred Weight system. It had three numbers. My anvil would then be 0-3-15

Just for curiosity sake

2 Likes

Didn’t I read recently that due to brexit the uk is going to become more standard weights and measures friendly? Lol

Yeah, the brits will soon be unable to buy gasoline in gallons again.

Random thought,

I think I want to be cremated with my implants,
Not just, not removed, but actively insist they are not removed

But fully sure why, but I think I’m amused by the concept of my ashes consisting of a smidgeon of tech

3 Likes

Chances are it will be refused. They won’t risk it damaging something what you could ask is that all implants are placed in your urn with your ashes.

signal-2021-09-28-122800