The flexMN batch is now open!

@amal How confident would you say you are that the lack of potting with the LED nails in the flexNExT was the cause for some of them failing? I’m just trying to gauge what the longevity for them looks like. Is there any major risk of them burning out or dying in the flexMN?

i’m getting the chips ordered today… shipping to me may take some time considering customs etc… hard to give ETA for this first batch, but for the 2nd batch I should have a better understanding. I may combine batches just because of shipping delays to be honest… but we’ll see how it sorts itself out. i am going to put a bit of an investment into the first chip purchase round and hopefully it pays off in batch 2, just so we’re not constantly behind on delivery.

very confident. unfortunately i have much less confidence that the resin potting will solve the issue. i hope it will, but no idea… we’re in uncharted territory still.

as for burning out… no chance… i have had the same nrfc nail stuck to the bottom of my acr122u for months now… just being lit 100% duty cycle. no issues.

The best closest example of performance expectations would be the flexMT and so far I don’t think I know of any LEDs that have failed in the flexMT, only the flexNExT… but that might not be accurate. I do know that if any have failed in a flexMT, the count is so low I can’t even remember if it has happened or not… so that must be good right?

2 Likes

:arrow_double_up: This post up there :arrow_double_up:

That is confirmation that Amal is an optimist

4 Likes

i kinda have to be to want to run a devil chip business :wink:

4 Likes

You called :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Is there any way to reenforce some of the connections with solder? Also, have you or anyone else performed stress tests on the nails to see if there’s is a common point of failure or anything?

The LEDs are the least of my problem, i love them with all my heart.

1 Like

There may be, but then the labor becomes increasingly tedious. I think maybe another approach might be to sort out a flex pcb antenna that incorporates chips and LEDs and passives all on the board along with the antenna. Then I could extract the chip and solder it to the board… but that’s also a lot of a different kind of labor … up front labor … may still be worth it though… just many projects on the table at the moment.

Also putting LEDs in on the same inductor does impact performance of both LEDs and chip… so the end result might not be all that awesome… unless maybe two separate inductors were integrated into the board… so many things to explore… this is how “little ideas” turn into big jobs.

Simple enough question, figured I’d start a new topic
Since I haven’t seen this discussed specifically

Can / will there be a x series offering of the magic ntag?

I would be interested in this or even a flex wedge more than the flex disc shapes

I believe that the flexMN is already being offered in wedge form, it just wasn’t advertised as much.

Just looking at it from the perspective that flex’s have a lot more difficulty finding an installer, vs a simple x series injector

I think @amal said the chip in the FlexMN wasn’t available in the form factor required for x series. I’ll look for that response and reply if I find it.

Found it! Here: SURVEY Multi-purpose xSeries implant!

1 Like

not likely … the chips are only available in COB format (chip on board) and I do not have access to the bare silicon die required to make x-series… grey market and all that… i don’t even have direct access to the COB chip maker… it’s one of those “i got a guy who knows a guy who’s got a guy” kind of situations.

once we get the chips in and can study them i think we can explore a narrow flex form factor… maybe. depends on the chip capacitance and our antenna design possibilities.

Any update on when a possible disbatch date for these cool chips would be? I saw that there was another batch online for this round, so I’m not sure if we’re waiting on more people to order before production, or if it’s already started.

I’d completely understand if we’re waiting on more people, I’m just quite exited in getting it installed as I’ve been able to find someone willing to do it and was hoping to get it in before mid February.

I’m still waiting for the chips themselves to come in… dealing with grey market chinese vendors is proving to be just as irritating as ever.

Well that’s just how it appears to work isn’t it… just got the magic ntag chips! Going to do some testing later tonight.

4 Likes

That is good news. Not that I’m in a hurry or anything, but… I admit I’m impatient to have a working long-range implant in my arm again :wink:

3 Likes

Now that my flexMN has come in, I’ve been playing around with it a bit. I remember there being some discussion about the storage onboard, but I don’t remember the exact details about it, and when I emulate an NTAG 216, it shows up as only having 41 bytes of storage space when I read it with TagInfo and NFC Tools.

Is the chip itself just for emulation with no real NDEF capabilities? I feel like I’m probably just messing something up, but I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole if I’m starting at an incorrect assumption.

1 Like

I assume you got yours already because you ordered it sans blinkies, is that correct?

Re storage space, it should have the actual storage capacity of a NTAG216. At least that’s my understanding.

That is correct

That was my understanding too. So I’m guessing I did something wrong setting it up :sweat_smile: