Titan biomagnet and hard drives

Hi i couldn’t find any info online. I work with a lot of hard drives and flash storage devices… Is this going to be an issue?

Absolutely zero risk from an implant with flash storage.

Very, very unlikely. The casing on most hard drives are quite thick and provide great shielding. They’re also very resilient in general, the head magnets found inside the drive itself are far more powerful than the Titan (especially once implanted into flesh). Unless you’re doing hardcore data recovery and actually working with bare platters, I wouldn’t worry about it.

The only storage type I’d be worried about with a magnet implant is floppy disks, especially 5 1/4 inch floppies. Those could potentially be wiped, especially if they were last written to a long time ago. Besides floppies, you should be fine.

Great. Thanks for the info.
I completely forgot about the head magnets and yeah, my concerns now seem invalid completely… Haha.

2 Likes

Like this one? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I may merge these threads…or not…

Damn…
Now I’m worried about my retro-gaming-room…
Still have a bunch of these lying around here, though most of the more important stuff is on modern 3 1/2 inch disks :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

“modern” right :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Those modern 5 1/4” floppies hold a lot more data than the 8" ones I have.

Microsoft Basic for CP/M on 8" floppy anyone?

I’d offer Win 3.11 on about 10 floppy disks… :stuck_out_tongue:
I worked a lot with those things as a kid (was the connecting hobby of my dad and me), but I was still surprised when I recently dug through all the boxes with disks and such… I mean, I even found some floppys with DOS on them - so, a new computer was basically blank, you spent lot of time installing everything you possibly need (just to realise that harddrives were quite limited in those days…^^). Today, you buy a brand new computer and spend at least the same amount of time deleting all the unneccesary stuff that’s either pre-installed or just comes with the OS.
Call me nostalgic, but I prefer the first option :smile:

1 Like

The original IBM PC had a tape drive interface and ROM Basic. If you didn’t boot from a disk it went into Basic.

I know, I am old.
:unicorn_crying:

Oh, in case I wasn’t clear an 8 inch floppy looks like a bigger 5¼ inch floppy, but can hold from 80Kb (in 1972) up to 1.2Mb (in 1977)

The first time I saw a floppy disk in real life was 2 years ago in IT history class…
I grew up with CDs and DVDs. I feel like an inexperienced child now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m glad we’ve done away with physical storage medium almost entirely. I haven’t even needed a flash drive (beyond occasionally installing an OS) in years. Keeping track of all the disks and drives and cassettes and cartridges, ugh.

1 Like

There is no cloud, it’s just other people’s computers.

2 Likes

corporations aren’t people

4 Likes
1 Like