Titan install sharing thread

For me it was rather weeks than days, too, but the titan sits pretty much on the spot I hit the buttons with…
But I started typing again after a few days as well, just trying not to use this very finger - felt totally stupid (and a lot slower than usual), but it was okay.
Now, after it’s fully healed, I can type all day long without any problems. Carrying heavy stuff or gripping something with a bit more force works totally fine as well now, though it took a bit longer.

My titan is kinda off to the side of the finger so I don’t really remember any delay typing with it…

Then again I don’t tend to touch type

3 Likes

I explicitly tried to not do this.
At my installer I pressed my finger on the table really hard in multiple angles, so she could see where my skin “folds” (buckles up??).
She proceeded to install it directly above this line.
So when using my finger normally, I don’t even feel the titan.

I didn’t even try to type with it for a few days, but when I did I can’t remember any pain or anything.
I wouldn’t wanna touch my dirty keyboard with the wound still open tho, so maybe give it a few days in any case?

2 Likes

I installed my titan Sunday night! Installed to my right ring distal on the outside. I took a slightly different approach on making the cut, and coupled with using my left hand and not being left handed it seems to have came out alright. The pain has subsided and seems to be less pain daily.

I filleted a small flap of the skin from the outer edge (not quit to the nerve bundle) towards the print until I was a pocket, then slid the magnet in and wrapped the skin back closed. I used topical lidocaine, hair tie tourniquet, and dipped the scalpel in topical lidocaine as well. Took ~12 minutes for the procedure (it was my first attempt).

Pain scale 3/10. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be. It hurt but no worse than slicing your thumb open with a filet knife cleaning fish.

I wanted to take a video and was going to use my Google glass for a first person video, but forgot to turn on the camera before my hands were sterile and didn’t wanna redo sterilization. Maybe next time :smiley:. I still have a few x series and flex series to install. Just trying to resist the urge to do them all at once to give my body time to heal right.

Thanks everyone for all the information and videos that helped me feel confident enough to make it happen. I don’t have an installer close to me 🥲

P.S. I have a waterpik tooth brush and it makes my finger buzz like crazy! Such a weird feeling. :smiley:

Edit: wanted to add something

4 Likes

Background:. I live in a very rural area and have chickens and acreage. So doing my daily chores were a bit of a pain (har har) not using my finger…

Things I’ve learned:

• watch out for big strong magnets in places you don’t realize would have a magnet. My side by side has a compartment held closed by some very strong magnets. When the titan flipped in my finger I think my eyes rolled into the back of my head and it was painful and just a full on sensory overload. I’ve also lost some sensitivity that o had prior to “discovering” this other magnet. However the strength still seems to be intact.

• I have also come to realize just how important that finger is for grip.

• it really does work for sensing significant electrical current! I was skeptical but I’ve actually used it to my advantage twice now when rewiring some parts of my boat (24ft pontoon). E.g. I can tell which cable is the charging cable connected to the battery of the charger is plugged in. This made it easy for me to figure out which wires were which, and which had current without using my multimeter. The other instance was rewiring the bilge pump.

• after a month most the skin sensitivity from being sliced open is gone and just a minor scar on my finger.

• took about a month for my grip to not cause any pain. Although it still hurts a little if I grip a odd shaped surface that pushes deeply into my finger (think car steering wheel that has the seem inside it)

2 Likes

If you have slack in the wire you can coil it up to make an air core electromagnet and sense smaller amounts of current more easily

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

Excited to finally be able to participate in this thread!! I plan on updating this post as my healing continues. :sunglasses:

My installer is located in a suburb of Philadelphia, PA - they are listed on DT’s partner list and can perform a very wide variety of body modification services.

$150 - important to note that an xBT, flexEM and xG3 v2 were also installed during this visit. Including tip, I paid $250.

Left ring finger on the right side of the pad.

I soaked both my middle and ring fingers (wasn’t sure which the Titan would be going in yet) in the numbing gel on the 30 minute drive from my apartment to my installer. It didn’t really do anything at all, and we wound up doing a few lidocaine/epinephrine injections in my ring finger.

Picture from after my install:

Picture from right after removing my stitches, 4.5 days in:

I’m currently on day six, and it seems to be healing well. Definitely still have some swelling/light bruising in the whole area but the wound itself is doing great. Of course, I have the usual irrational fear of rejection…but I’m confident it’ll settle in there perfectly. I am taking prenatal vitamins and refraining from letting my finger go near any kind of metal for at least the first 2 - 3 weeks of healing. Had it flip in the pocket for the first time the other day and ooooh boy y’all were not kidding about how painful that can be haha.

I’ve got a bandage on it now, but will post more updated pictures when next it isn’t bandaged. I’m so hyped to finally have this installed - can’t wait until it’s really healed + settled so I can start having some fun with it.

2 Likes

I have ZERO biomagnets, but if I did, and if I wanted to protect the site from knocks and bumps or damage and protect from magnetic attraction.
I would consider something like this.

*maybe double them up.
*A size smaller than normal would create an air pocket (allowing healing and no touchy touchy on the wound)
*Aluminum is non magnetic, and will reduce the attraction from metal and external magnets. *Aluminum is light
*Aluminium is strong enough to protect / disperse any impacts that would otherwise do damage and cause pain.

Just a thought

3 Likes

Good thinkin’! I’ll see if Amazon has any…I’ve got pretty chonky fingers so will have to measure. Gloves never fit me. :sweat_smile:

Wouldn’t a size bigger than normal to create an air pocket vs. a size smaller than normal might be too tight?

my logic is,
with your wound on the tip of the finger, too small means an airgap at the top.
Too large would leave a gap around the sides.
so if it was more to the side, I would suggest, which ever suits you better. But looking at your finger it looks like fingertip to me

Ah that makes sense, thank ya for clarifying!

10 days in - feeling good overall! Still some slight discomfort and occasional swelling and a good bit of sensitivity, but nothing I’m super concerned about. Migrated a bit off the pad and on the right side of my ring finger, but I believe that’s a frequent occurrence.

3 Likes

Also a chosen location, and I can see that actually being a “better” location for it

1 Like

That’s what I was thinkin’ - might be easier to use the finger for normal finger things with the pad being unoccupied.

1 Like

Day 12 after install, glad I can finally contribute to the thread! Install went smooth, and I think it’s healing in a nice place a little to the side of my finger pad. Was glad to see I’m not the first only person who got a Titan in 2023, I hope there’s more to come.
If anyone who has had this magnet for some years now would like to chime in on the effectiveness of its longevity, that would be cool.

6 Likes

May the 2023 Titan Club grow and grow! :sunglasses::magnet:

@StevieP How good of a “stick” would you say you’re getting with yours so far/how is the pocket feeling?

I’m on day 18 and can occasionally get one paperclip or a bottle cap to stick for a few seconds before falling off - I’ve heard it can take 5+ weeks of healing for it to be at “full force,” if you will. I’m still avoiding typing with mine and using it since the pocket is sensitive.

Updated Pic:

2 Likes

I’ve been able to hold a pin/thumbtack since day 1 post op, and a bottle cap around 4 days after. I comfortably hold paper clips now, so I’d rate the “stick” as great.
As far as the pocket, after about 1 1/2 weeks the nerve deep in the finger is starting to be able to handle more pressure with comfort, but it’s still fairly sensitive.
The most fun I’ve had is feeling the “buzz” from the side of my microwave and toaster, and a little bit in cars. Have you experienced the same?

I haven’t really tried to actually - I’ve been avoiding anything that might “trigger” it while it’s still healing. I was able to feel some iron fragments in a borosilicate beaker that I was using but that’s about it so far.

It helps that I got an xG3 V2 at the same time which is pretty much already healed so I’ve been playing with that a lot in the interim period lol.

This is SO helpful. I’ve got a Titan which will be going in this half term (I’m a teacher), and to see the positioning is exactly what I was wondering about.

Thank you for such detailed updates :grinning:

1 Like