Troubles with the Proxmark3 Easy

Hello!
I’m having troubles with the Proxmark3 Easy. It’s flashing correctly, both the ./pm3-flash-all and the ./pm3-flash-bootrom, however, when I attempt to run ./pm3, it detects it, but it passes an Error saying that it “cannot communicate with the Proxmark”. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

To launch the client you are supposed to go to /proxmark3/client and run

proxmark3.exe com*N*

where N is the com port of your proxmark

Thanks for the speedy reply! I tried this, however, it still said that it couldn’t communicate with the Proxmark. I’m wondering if I bricked it perhaps?

what com port is your proxmark operating on?

did you flash the correct one (PM3 GENERIC) or did you download the RDV4 precompile, they’re very different devices

COM4, according to Device Manager

I believe PM3 generic, but how would I check?

Did you compile it yourself in proxspace? If so did you edit the configuration file to make it build the right version?

1. Did you buy your proxmark3 easy from us with the pre-loaded iceman fork firmware?

2. Did you follow this guide;

I had communication errors like yours when I first connected my device. Found that the proxmark3 has two (2) usb ports. When I connected to the other one it was able to communicate with no issue. Just something to be aware of.

Yes there is a port near the button on the side that is only for powering during headless operation. You should use the other USB port… but I don’t think this is the case because;

of course he could have used the correct port to flash but then the incorrect port while trying to use it… dunno.

My proxmark3 easy doesn’t seem to have two usb ports. And no, the proxmark3 easy I’m currently using wasn’t from you guys, it was from Aliexpress (I know, I know, but I’m in college, I don’t have much money). I followed that guide, as well as this one for when I got stuck: Proxmark for Cyborgs - Getting started and cloning your first badge!. I did order another proxmark3 easy from you guys just a bit ago, just in case I bricked mine by accident.

Can you also check if it is a 512 or 256kB version?

Personally I would start afresh with a known entity, follow the guide to set it up.
Then use your Aliexpress one as a backup…

It says that it is the 512 kB version.

And yeah, planning to do that. Curse my 1-year-younger-cheapskate self! :smile:

Good, it will still be “easily” usable (the 256kB needs some fat trimming off it before you can install IceMans fork.)

You will be able to get it to work, you just have a few more hurdles to jump over

Good news! Only half idiot. The half of me that is bricked the bootleg proxmark, but the half of me that isn’t was able to get the official proxmark3 up and running easy as. Thanks for the help e’rybody!

3 Likes

I’m just reading this here and it sounds sorta like the same thing I think I have going on. Almost thinking I bricked it after flashing, and it actually disappeared as a COM port too. Now I was able to get it to come back on COM 6. However, is it normal to have a solid green and red LED, with an occasional Blue LED flash? I’m going to check it out further when I get up in the morning, but was kinda curious if that was normal at least. :wink:

My usual checklist for an Easy not showing up in device manager is:
Is the correct USB port being used on the proxmark (not the one near the button)?
Is the stock cable being used that came with the proxmark?
Was the client compiled properly before flashing (ie for PM3Generic)?
Does Windows recognise a device is being attached/removed (even without a COM port)?
Does a COM port get assigned when holding the button down and plugging in?

Thats not an extensive list but a good idea of things to check. The last one usually works the vast majority of the time; unplug the cable, hold the button down, plug the cable in (aka ‘the button trick’) and see if a COM port is assigned. If so, re-flash the bootloader then remove the cable and plug in again without the button held and see if a COM port is now assigned.

I also have never really paid much attention to the meaning of the LEDs as it has changed over time.