US card with payment conversion?

I was wondering, if you were shipped a contactless credit card from the US, would you be able to do this with one of those?

It says on the link you sent, not currently. Needs to be a bank MicroCard not a full sized card.

Also please note for people who use bPay: Barclaycard wants to invalidate and reissue their chips so donā€™t get one for now!

Shouldnā€™t matter where it was issued (outside of the above issue with Barclaycard in the UK), as long as itā€™s in the MicroCard format. So yes, a US card would work, but only if itā€™s issued in the MicroCard format.

1 Like

But are there even micro payment cards in the US market?

A quick Google shows I couldnā€™t find any. Will do some digging.

The issue with the US is its only now that chips common are they rolling out contactless cards. The amount of times in new york I got told ā€œOh cool your card has ā€˜apple payā€™ on it!ā€ because its just not a thing there and people donā€™t know better.

1 Like

Even tho the USA was one if not the first country to offer contactless cards.

They werenā€™t really. The US started with bad standards, whereas the rest of the world did it properly a few years later - Australia has entirely banned signatures for payments pretty much and itā€™s been like that for well over 5 years.

2 Likes

Did not say they did it well, just that it was there earlier.

aha this is trueā€¦ we were the firstā€¦ it lastedā€¦ ohhā€¦ 6 monthsā€¦ the banks just started handing out cards with contactless payment insideā€¦ no announcementā€¦ nobody knew wtf it was or even how it workedā€¦ these cards had the magstripe and contactlessā€¦ no chip, just those two. i remember getting a spate of them from various banks i had accounts atā€¦ but no public education, no ads, nothingā€¦ and no terminalsā€¦ nobody and i mean nobody had any contactless terminalsā€¦ so it was utterly useless and stupid, and once the crazy nutjobs here got wind there was a ā€œwireless tracking chip inside your bank cardā€ shit went nuts and people were microwaving their bank cards like moronsā€¦ then banks realized they were paying twice the price per card to be manufactured with contactless inside and promptly stopped doing thatā€¦ and the whole thing failed.

then google wallet happenedā€¦ and that failedā€¦ agian, no terminals, no education, and mobile carriers were trying to do their own payment shit so they would block the wallet app on their crappy carrier-raped versions of androidā€¦

then apple sat patiently ā€¦ they worked with emvco to create a driving reason for merchants to upgrade their terminalsā€¦ the ā€œliability shiftā€ā€¦ merchants would be liable for all fraud if magstripes were usedā€¦ this prompted to upgrade of millions of payment terminals across the countryā€¦

suddenly - apple payā€¦ bamā€¦ contactless reborn in the USAā€¦

ā€¦but it still sucks if itā€™s not apple pay.

1 Like