VivoKey Apex update

Graphene is that wonder material that’s always talked about in material science.
It’s made of pure carbon (so producing it would reduce CO2 in the atmosphere).
It’s a monolayer molecular structure (ie it’s 1-atom thick sheets of carbon) so it can either be an incredible insulator or incredible conductor depending on how it’s arranged. I believe it’s “magic-angle” graphene that’s a superconductor.
Because it’s just carbon the body in theory wouldn’t reject it, but because it’s so difficult to produce that’s not been studied much yet, but it should be completely biocompatible. It should create a ‘perfect’ seal with the skin.
Its strength is absolutely bonkers, something like 200x as strong as steel - essentially the strongest material we know of. But mechanical engineers would be quick to point out that strength, toughness, hardness are all different properties.
However, the problem with it right now is that it’s so difficult to produce, and therefore expensive and impractical for most consumer applications. It’s mostly just found in research labs and universities.
Here’s a brief article summarising some of the important bits.
If we could mass-produce it and it was everything it is promised to be, then it would replace so many materials that we use right now like gold, copper, silicon, aluminium, titanium (in the case of implants). There’s probably whole industries that will exist because of it’s properties and uses. In Cyberpunk 2077 there are characters that have entirely replaced their skin with artificial materials, usually shiny metallic materials. That might actually be possible with something like graphene.

That’s an excellent point, and something I’d not thought of. I checked the article I linked before and some others, and graphene actually has great elasticity (another fancy material engineering term).
“Harder than diamond yet more elastic than rubber; tougher than steel yet lighter than [aluminium] – graphene is the strongest known material.”

People are not sitting idly by. It’s being worked on right now.

Again from the same article:
"Graphene’s unique combination of extraordinary properties offers a fascinating material platform for the development of next-generation technologies in many areas – wearable and superfast electronics, ultrasensitive sensors, multifunctional composites and coatings, membranes, medicine nd biotechnology, energy harvesting and storage.

Since its first demonstration in 2004, graphene research has evolved into a vast field with approximately 10,000 scientific papers now being published every year on a wide range of topics."
~ Jamie

4 Likes

I am sorry to interject this but this is quite a coincidence Apex flex for sale rn probably just not the one you wanted to see. :rofl:

9 Likes

Those bastards! I was excited to click that link and now I am just mad.

6 Likes

I have warned ya

I half expected a Rick roll, and I was both relieved and sad when I clicked the link XD
Nice find though!

2 Likes

A “review” of the Apex Flex

I’d heard whispering of its development for years. Its prior iterations were smaller by several orders of magnitude, and I was surprised to see North Face as the distributor. I’ll admit the new form factor was intimidating, but I went in with an open mind and a stiff upper lip.

Pros:
Thermally insulated
Waterproof
Cheaper than expected
Fits like a second skin

Cons:
NFC capabilities don’t seem to be working
Certain features like pockets and zippers are inaccessible
Lightheadedness and fever
Fits like a second skin

Supremely difficult to have installed. Every installer from the Partners Map that I called about it either hung up immediately after I sent them the link, or called me a lunatic before dramatically ending the call. I realized I’d have to do what I swore to myself I never would. Self-install.

North Face rudely didn’t include any installation tools, so I had to make due with the as-yet-extra drape, gauze, and chlorhexadine wipes from my xG2 kit. And so, armed with DT’s largest flex installation needle and a gibbering prayer (along with copious amounts of Everclear) I set to work.

It’s a singularly unique experience installing a thermal layer beneath the dermal layer. It was a mostly clean installation, though a few mistakes are to be expected when the shaking gets too bad. I’d received a noise complaint from my neighbors for the screaming, so I recommend some light jazz or lo-fi hip hop to drown it out. I must say, two little CH wipes were difficult to stretch over the entire upper torso and thoracic cavity, not to mention the single small gauze pad, but luckily it worked out. I could’ve used a larger drape, though. That rug, chair, and curtains will never get the stains out.

Long term results aren’t looking too good, but I have faith in Amal’s products. He hasn’t let us down yet.
Will update you again Soon™.

20 Likes

This was both hilarious and extremely uncomfortable to imagine, thank you for the laugh!

4 Likes

I clicked, you got me. My camping side went oh thats actually kinda cute, so I clicked again… and wouldn’t you know… its COMING SOON. I am dead right now.

10 Likes

That is sad for you I get 404 on few of them but also DISCONTINUED/Buy from distributor on some, probably geolocation based.

@amal Any updates? :weary:

1 Like

SOON™-O-Meter recently increased from 3 to 4 of 5.
More details are in the DT Club so can’t talk about it :confused:

7 Likes

Hey everyone! I’ve got an update here. I am programming batches of Apex Flex now. I have about 200 units ready to go through programming, then we’re going to start getting updated addresses for everyone who was in the Flex one beta program and pre-order from the DT club.

I also have a surprise update! We now have a gas plasma sterilizer unit financed and shipping to us in the next couple weeks. We had to get this sterilization unit because DHL no longer allows us to ship vials with chlorhexidine solution inside. It’s considered a hazardous material and they do not allow it without special permits and training in a certified packer signing off on every parcel. Also special materials are required to ship hazardous products and it just made more sense to invest in a clinical sterilization unit than to try to work around the chlorhexidine problem.

So now, I can say that all Apex Flex will ship fully clinically sterilized! They will ship in dry sterilization pouches that have been processed, no longer in vials.

Yay!

35 Likes

Does that affect installation? Does it change lubrication requirements for the implant?

2 Likes

No installation procedure is not affected by this change.

6 Likes

evolution-lubricant

12 Likes

Awesome news, and really cool that you’ve now got a steriliser big plus. Any idea of general sale time?

I’m guessing general sale will start around 30 days from now or about 2 weeks after we get the sterilizer up and running.

14 Likes

Thanks Amal!! Great news. Love your hard work

1 Like

Awesome news!
Out of curiosity, would this allow you to pre-sterilize the flex needle? I don’t remember the original reason that it’s not sterilized before shipping so maybe I’m just dumb and don’t see some other obvious reason.

8 Likes

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO CONTROLLING MY CAR!!

3 Likes