VivoKey Apex update

If it were possible, we’d have done it before now. Your “idea” is not new.

Basically, there’s no way to just go and extract the keys used to sign/encrypt transactions from a card. It’s to stop card theft. We don’t get involved in that.

So basically, we need (and there’s no way to get around this) to seed the MC/Visa apps on the Apex (which are on there just not enabled, basically) with keys and personalisation data from a bank. So we need the bank to give us that, and then we need the authentication to talk to the applet to set that data.

Fidesmo manages all that. It’s the fact that Mastercard and Visa need to explicitly say yes to our module. They haven’t, so we can’t use that. So unless you’ve got a magic way for a bank to give us those (and they won’t, it’s all done in a secure facility normally and they’d be risking their approval from Mastercard/Visa to make cards), there’s no way to do so.

@amal Any updates?

Hopefully the final antenna iteration is on order and we can test that in a week or so… if all is well we probably have another 3-4 weeks to finalize production on the first batch for flex one beta replacements.

15 Likes

Personally happy to wait, love a company that take their time.

1 Like

Awesome. Any timelines for the apex mega?

Not really… nothing remotely concrete for the mega yet.

Good decision, I don’t think concrete would be a good long term Bio-compatible material :wink:

12 Likes

I’ve heard of it being used to encase body parts… Usually before going swimming as far as I understand.

:diving_mask:

9 Likes

I‘m excited to hear about that. Potentially my next one :slight_smile:

Any update here @amal?
Excited to hear something new

1 Like

well… perfection is the goal here … which can be “the enemy of the good” I know… but we ended up getting our chips punched out of their carrier ribbons professional done by a robot… now they are headed to be reeled on tape so they can then be picked up by robots and perfectly applied directly to our perfectly designed flex PCB antennas.

Because of the types of applications these devices will be running, where private keys which cannot be exported from the chip do their work inside the implant only, we want to eliminate any possibility of future failure, however remote… even 50+ years into the future. The best way to do that is to make robots extract and place components with precision.

14 Likes

6 Likes

Ok so that means there will be some time needed :wink:
But I like the way of thinking to have the perfect product.
:+1:

2 Likes

Any progress update or status change is like crack at this point.

11 Likes

Far be it from us to deny you your fix

2 Likes

Now that we are getting closer any updates on this :slight_smile:

Basically Apex is forced us to refactor the entire core of the VivoKey platform. Once that’s finished in Apex is properly linked then we move on to service deployment that will work for both Spark and Apex.

3 Likes

Ohh yeah I get that the services released will support both, that was always the promise of vivokey.
What I was curious about that comment that I replied to and some stuff you mentioned when I was asking you about if it was worth getting a spark, if you know you will be getting and apex. The details are a bit fuzzy because it was last year… but I remember you mentioning that it could act as a backup for your VivoKey account and that you also teased “other advantages” to getting a spark and an apex.
I was expecting that we would get to order them early or something similar, but seems like that is for the club so now I am curious about the advantages you where teasing lol.

Oh I see what you mean. Basically the Spark 2 can act as a backup for your account yes, but I honestly don’t remember what I meant by “other advantages” unless we were talking about the Spark 1… then there is a clear advantage to having an ISO 15693 transponder that is also a VivoKey

1 Like

Kewl yeah, I plan on my Spark 2 being a backup basically once I get the Apex, my Spark 2 is happy in place where it is and I’d rather just leave it there and add the Apex implant :wink:

1 Like