Vivokey Spark for Novice

Hello everyone, two days ago I implanted the vivokey spark, for now I still have a swollen hand and do not read it well. The problem is that I do not understand well the operation of this implant, since it is different from the rest of nfc implants.
We start in that we have two app Vivokey and Vivokey Authenticator:
Vivokey: apparently it is only to create a profile that can be public or private, it has a QR reader that does not stop to serve
Vivokey Authenticator: at first I thought it was like the Google Authenticator that is to say that it serves to activate the security of 2 points, for example in this forum, that possibility fits, well I have activated a QR I have read it with Vivokey Authenticator and when I give Safe it says “tap your vivokey” if I pass it because my vivokey spark does not do anything, (only a web with my viviokey profile opens) then it does not let me save authentication in any way.

So I want to test if with NFC Tools Pro I can do something and it does not stop,
My questions are:
1- The Vivokey app only works for the profile?
2- How does the Vivokey Authenticator app work?
3- How can more things be done with the Vivokey Spark? (I have ideas of things I want to do but I do not know how)
4- I understand that if more things can be done … Are they from the Computer or from the Smartphone?
5- If they are from the computer what type of reader and software do I need? (I have a pro macbook)

Excuse me, for my English, and for my doubts. I hope you can help me!

2 Likes

The Vivokey Authenticator is not meant for the spark. it’s meant for the Vivokey Flex.

You cannot write NDEF records to the Spark. It’s locked down.

The spark is limited in it’s current form. Work is still being done on the software side.

Read this thread, it has more info.

3 Likes

:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::neutral_face:
So I can not do anything, just wait

You can change the URL redirection in the VivoKey platform and register the NFC ID on access control systems.

I’m doing tests with different smartphones for reading the Spark:
Huawei P9 Lite: read it quickly, instantly
Samsung s8: it’s hard to read, it takes a long time to read it
Huawei P20 lite: it is difficult to read it enough, although it is faster than the Samsung s8

How are your readings?

I am finding there is a bug in the Android NFC library that is triggered with certain phones. It has to do with reading ISO15693 tags like the Spark. On my pixel 2 I get all kinds of problems just getting a full memory read of any ISO15693 chip using TagInfo. I submitted a bug report through a friend in Google and the guys were looking at it… confirmed there is something odd going on… but haven’t heard back.

3 Likes

I can read the chip easy with TagInfo, but reading it with the App is difficult - the most times it flashes “red” what does this mean.

Can you reliably get a full memory scan each time with TagInfo? Getting it to register is not the issue, the issue we’ve seen is that the tag will begin to read, and then the process is aborted. This is a problem with Android, not with the chip itself or even the coupling.

What phone do you have?

This means that during the attempt to cryptographically verify the chip’s authenticity, something broke and the attempt did not succeed. This happens as well on my Pixel 2. Very irritating.

3 Likes

Samsung Galaxy S8+
I never have problems with my other chips. It needs only a bit longer to read the xIC.

I was able to make the profile, I hope it works.

I can also see the Spark a bit - it makes a little bump unter the skin :slight_smile:

It also happens to me when I try to read with the Vivokey application the red light sometimes comes out. My smartphone is Samsung S8

Attention: since the update of my Samsung s8 to Android 9 the reading of the Spark is fatal, or it does not read it directly, or it takes a long time to read and it gives an error in the app. On the other hand, my Huawei P9lite with android 7 is great, it reads super fast, that is, I put my hand and read it instantly.
Is this going to be solved?

1 Like

Having the same problem, updated phone two days ago.

Same problem :frowning:
The stupid stuff is you can’t turn the updates off, I got daily very often the message to update the system.

Interesting. My experience with the S8 is the complete opposite. A Tag Info full scan takes a few seconds (3 - 5) but it works every time. Same with the Vivokey Spark app.

I’m using Spark demo card though, as I haven’t actually implanted my spark yet.

The sweet spot on my S8 is right below the Samsung logo, horizontally centered. I’m still on Android 8. Unlocked, U.S. Samsung phones are always the last to get an update.

Definitely update the thread one you update to Android 9… I’m very curious if it kills iso15693 performance. I’ve had issues with my Pixel 2 phones with both the Spark and demo card.

1 Like

I have Android 9 - unable to read the Spark :frowning:

Unlocking the phone works perfect with the flexNT or flexDF - also reading the chip.

I am using a Pixel 2, on A9. It has been spotty and sometimes requires a restart, but I am still able to read the spark.

Same problem except that I do not know anything about electronics …
So how do you configure the chip to unlock the natel or make payments online.

Currently there is no online payment platform for the Vivokey.

There might be in the future but it would be up to the developer of the website/application to implement it.

I hope because this is my first implant and if they develop Vivokey to optimize the platform, then it’s good but I do not understand its usefulness too much …

3 Likes