Where are you going to get your Apex Flex implanted?

I’m thinking probably L5 for myself. Should be a good location that’s not in the way while still being easy to present to readers if payments are enabled.

1 Like

I am right handed, I wear a pedometer on my left wrist usually (and a pocket watch at times when I want a watch).

However having tested attempting to “scan” either wrist with my phone I don’t find either one particularly hard to scan.

Where would others think is the best place to put this?

I think I’ve settled on getting my Apex in R5 in the hopes of payment being turned on in the future. As for the xSIID I just ordered…still debating on R0 vs. L5 given I have a NExT and 125kHz xLED in L0.

For the xsiid, depends on the use case… but I like mine in 0

Now that I have my flex, I’m glad I didn’t do a knife edge, my L4 gives it plenty of support that I feel like knife edge would lack

I’m also tossing up between L5 and middle forearm above my watch.

I’m reasonably confident we’ll never get payments (at least in New Zealand) however I do want to try and use my Apex as a smart card to log into my computer and with that in mind I’m thinking L5 is better.

I’m not sure, NZ is reasonably early adopters, It is rare to find a payment terminal that is not contactless payment, EFTPos has been used in NZ for over 30 years, I don’t even think you can get a cheque book anymore.

I have an ASB payment conversion

ASB have stopped supporting the PayTags and mine will die in a couple of years, but WestPac still have them. ( I’m not sure if they have 3 or 5 year expiry )

Mine reads well on all terminals I have tried.

If Vivokey mange to get Visa or Mastercard onboard, I don’t know how long we will have to wait to see it downunder, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we do.

1 Like

Hello fellow kiwi?

I guess L5 it is!

1 Like

Of course I cant guarantee it, but I hope it will.
By the time my Payment Conversion expires, I can transition over to VK Payments :crossed_fingers:t3:

It is Soooo handy [pun] :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t3: :credit_card:

I use it a lot

So I am looking at P4 or P5 or my wrist on either left or right now… At this rate I will end up being even less certain as time goes on.

@amal Where are you putting yours?

I’m waiting for the Mega actually… and I will put it where my old prototype was… left hand over the wrist where a watch would normally go. I may actually put an Apex Flex in my right arm as a backup… but arms… not hands. My hands are full of other things :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Can anyone with a flex in the knife edge part of the hand comment on comfort, issues, or noticable feeling in that location. That’s where I want the apex, but also debating with the wrist / forearm to avoid more risk possibly.

Also is the top of the wrist or the underside of the wrist more recommended, or does it not matter?

I decided after a lot of back and forth against knife edge for a P4

Kinda glad I did, I don’t think life edge would hurt but I do think you’d feel it more

There’s a lot of stuff going on underneath the wrist, it’s probably best to avoid or REALLY do your research and get an installer who knows that area

(A defensive thing that’s taught these days is, when taking a melee defensive stance, try to roll the under sides of your arms inwards, as they are contain the large arteries and other good stuff, and the outside of your arm is mostly flesh and muscle… much better to sacrifice)

What would you recommend if there is a watch? A smartwatch? I assume it will be a little bit uncomfortable and maybe some issue because of the watch tech.

I think you and I have the same installer in Fenton MI. He did my xSIID last year, and will be doing my future flex install too. Was there anything you would have had him do different, or made him aware of for next time?

Would you mind sharing the details of the installer in Fenton? Pirate is awesome, but it’s a 4+ hour drive for me.

Fenton tattoo and piercing,
Thomas is the guy you want, good dude
I get ahold of him via fb messenger to the shops page

Make sure to remind him which way you want the needle bevel, and don’t let him push the flex in with tools ( it’s super tempting so I don’t fault him, given I was his first flex install)

1 Like

Awesome, thanks!

I have a payment conversion flex in the blade of my left hand. Maybe I’m an outlier (or just a big baby) but it was a really unpleasant install so it’s hard for me to recommend that location.

Couldn’t use my hand, or really my whole left arm, for about 2 weeks after. After about a month it didn’t hurt at all anymore and I regained full movement of my arm. That first month was a lot worse than I expected going into it though!

My hand feels completely normal with it in there now, no discomfort at all unless I bang it on something hard. And the blade is a super convenient location to make payments from, so I’m pretty happy that it’s there.

That said, there’s no way im going through that recovery again with my right blade, so I’m thinking the top the forearm is where my APEX is going. Maybe the area where a watch would go, but on the right arm so that it doesn’t interfere with wearing a watch…

Amal, do you have a install video of that location?

1 Like

Nope no video sorry