WIKI - NFC phone performance

Blackviews S U C K for NFC performance. Can’t get any read on my Flex One at all. Currently exploring a coil to boost signal.

1 Like

Sony Xperia XA1 Plus works perfectly with the HF side of the NExT.

While I tend to center the NFC Forum logo for regular tags, the best performance with x-series implants seem to be achieved if you go above the NFC Forum logo, around the same level as the LED.

XA1Plus

You’ll want to make sure that x-series chip will end up being vertical to ensure good coupling, which means that it will look something like this:

xm1read

(Only tested without a case.)

6 Likes

Great post, very informative, I have just updated the wiki and linked it back to your post :+1:

You can add the Google Pixel 4a to the list too, it reads very well. The best orientation I’ve found is the tag vertical, just below the finger print reader. I get super consistent reads and writes with a thicker case, and it even lights my xSIID super bright.

Google-Pixel-4a-back-standing-stright-1200x675 (1)
At least with a spigen Tough Armor case, this was the only orientation I found that really works, but it’s effective.

4 Likes

Done, thanks, linked :+1:

3 Likes

Huawei P20 works pretty well with x-series from the left-hand-side. You hook your fingers around the top, so the joint between your fingers and palm is nestled in the corner, and lay your thumb against the back of the phone. I usually get a read within a second.

6 Likes

Good info, picture and description.
I have updated the wiki and linked to your post above.
Thanks

1 Like

LG Velvet 5G

I tested read range by layering cards and paper on the back and trying to read through it.
Results are:
3 cards = thickness of about 2 mm

at the 2mm thickness i get some reads but not great

i tried 2.5 mm and i got reads but very inconsistently. id move my hand around the same spot as before and it only read about 20% of the time or less. For consistent results id say 1.5mm is most ideal

reason for the inconsistency seems to be timing. i got out my x field detector and turns out that the phone sends 3 weak pulses and then 1 stronger one. pulses seem to be at an interval of .58 seconds measured with a stopwatch. even knowing that though, more than 1.5mm is very difficult

if there’s anyone making a spreadsheet of phones, here’s all the info:

Summary

Name: LG Velvet 5G
Carrier (if it matters): AT&T
Tested with: NExT
pulse pattern: 3 weak 1 strong
Pulse speed on home screen: 0.5 to 0.6 sec between pulses
pulse speed on taginfo: ~ 0.2 sec between pulses
does not check nfc when screen is off.
ideal max read range: 0 to ~1.5mm
absolute max range: ~2.4mm

@Pilgrimsmaster mind adding this info?

2 Likes

Done and moved and here we are, thanks.:+1:

Quite possibly the stupidest thing that’ll be posted here…

Similarly to the iPhones, reader is near the top of the back on the Lumia 1020. Vertically approaching the implant to the reader works.

2 Likes

Not at all, that will help others out. thanks for the share, and I have updated the list and linked to your post :+1:

Just wanted to confirm that as expected, the OG Pixel also works quite well (my implants have not yet healed, but I’m getting consistent reads / xLED lighting up / xFD).

This is not a surprise, since the Pixel XL works, but more the merrier right!

Positioning same as

1 Like

Indeed, Updated and linked, Thanks :+1:

Samsung Galaxy A71 works pretty good. I have a thin silicone case and I get good reads with it on, but better with it off of course. Antenna is located next to the camera block, but I find the best reads come from the highlighted blue zones, better if the x-series implant antenna is perpendicular to the antenna.

Tested with xFD, xLED, xNT, NExT, Spark2 + DT Diagnostic card

4 Likes

Added yours with :ringer_planet:9 A71 post

Good info :+1:

Whoops, I looked to see if it was listed already but looked at the wrong place. Sorry!

Nah, your one had a little more detail, It’s all good.
Better too much info, than not enough :+1:

1 Like

The Pixel 5 has 100% success with my xSLX right below the fingerprint reader

2 Likes

Excellent, Thanks, I have added and linked to your post