Windows login, siid implant and buisness card

Right I’m getting one of the new siid implants and want to use it as a business card but 2k space where as I can store my info in around 100bytes seems a little excessive can I do anything else with it?

Could I use the first record as a contact/business card (am I right in assuming when read by a phone not using an nfc app you only see first record?) and have a second text record as my windows password (which work insist must be changed every 30days and will not implement nfc login)

1 Like

I imagine you have done your research, so just to clarify for you

At the moment, the SIID is capable of 2kB storage, but currently only able to utilize 1kB until DT work-out a couple of bugs with NXP.

With regards to your “issue”, It really depends on what you WANT to do with it and if you want to futureproof yourself.
Personally I would rather have “spare” storage and not need it than need it and not have it.

A simple way to use up that spare storage is to increase the size of your contact photo/icon on your business card.
Larger Image, Higher quality image, or personally I would increase the size of my business card with a winking :wink: Deadpool .gif
giphy%20(1)

There are other great implants you can choose with less storage, but I get it if you want the blinky

You will see whatever dataset you have created in the NDEF section

Are you suggesting you would store the password on your SIID as a reminder?
Otherwise, How would you choose which record to read?

As a solution, I would suggest you could use the UID as your login password either pre or post your word, numbers or phrase that you change every 30days in conjunction with a KBR1 reader, which needs no software or drivers

1 Like

This is indeed quite safe. But typing a stem and then scanning the chip kind of defeats the purpose of logging in with a chip. If nothing else, it kills the coolness factor at work - as in “Why the hell do you to to the trouble of getting an implant if you still have to type something” :slight_smile:

I use Rohos Logon key to log into my Windows boxes at work, which are on a domain, as yours probably is also if the BOFH insists on a password change every 30 days - which is crazy by the way…

Just use the UID for login purposes.

As for the extra information, you can store several NDEF records on your chip (name, address, phone number, URL, etc) But be aware that if you want to be able to share them with any cellphone that doesn’t have a dedicated NFC reader app installed, typically you can only use one record.

That’s because Android’s default behavior, absent a dedicated app that registered an NFC intent, is to trigger a relevant activity if it reads a tag with one and only one record on it. So for instance, if that record contains a URL, it’ll launch the default browser. However, if you have two records, with a URL in the first record and your name as text in the second record, Android won’t do anything because it doesn’t know what record to trigger an activity on.

This may have changed in newer versions of Android, but it holds true with all the versions I’ve tried it with, up to version 9. But even if it works in Android 10, the point is, if you want to share your business card with any old cellphone out there as painlessly and ubiquitously as possible without requiring the recipient to install something on their cellphone first, you need to stick to one record only. Mine is simply a URL that redirects to my server.

1 Like

Sounds like a good solution, but if @Devilclarke is being forced to change password every 30 days and not allowed to use an NFC login , I dont like the chances of being able to install Rohos Logon key.

Agreed though KRB1 with added password does remove the Cool factor :sunglasses: a little.
But a scan+month+enter not ideal but also not too arduous.

1 Like

I mentioned Rohos Logon Keys because, unless his PC is prorperly locked down paranoid-style by his admins, he’ll be able to install it. And then he can change his password in the software every 30 days: all it does is map a password with a NFC tag UID, that it sends to the login API when the tag is presented.

My understanding of “will not implement NFC login” in @Devilclarke’s original post was that the admin didn’t want to look into it server-side, and/or setup smartcard sign-in - hell, just spend time looking into it at all. Most people who flat out refuse something really mean to say they’d rather let the stuff that works work than spend time on it unless their manager tells them to.

1 Like

Hi all, just a quick update I have now purchased my siid implant.

I think what I may do is just use this for a business card and get another xnt and use a combo of the uid+changeable text record on the chip as my password would this work? No additional data, at work I can install drivers but not software, I have arduino and the ide installed so if i write something to decode the record I could use that correct?

1 Like

If you can’t install software, it’s unlikely that your code will be able to interfact with the login API. You will probably be able to read the record though.

In that case, I agree with @Pilgrimsmaster: the simplest solution is to use a keyboard wedge and tack on a changeable string by hand before or after the scan. A single rolling digit would kill the coolness factor less :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting. this Login Key business is similar to something we’re exploring.

2 Likes