xEM access controller question: shorts on board

Well you did not state LF RFID :stuck_out_tongue: not even the PM3 is a universal RFID reader.

It might be possible to make a reader that works with at least most of the things a t5577 can emulate.

Personally I would prefer a HF and LF reader that works with the more common standards.

2 Likes

My apologies i did not (fixed now).

what i am envisioning is essentially a cut down proxmark3 v2 no emulation or anything the whole analog front end design is basically there so should’t be massively hard.

:hushed: :hushed: :hushed:
something I’ve learnt is, you never say things like that “out loud”
:no_mouth:

1 Like

always use a qualifier hence the massively :wink:

1 Like

Fair
But
since I already grabbed the gif

1 Like

I think the various modulation encodings and formats would still be an issue. The PM3 you issue a command telling it what you want to do.

I am not an expert in the electronics under the hood but only way I can naively see it working is if you basically run lf search repeatedly which would make it less responsive.

I am yet to see something like a lf hid watch that is ‘universal’

Unless it is universally configurable… that might work. So it wont work with any LF tag all the time but could be configured with a dip switch array or something in very vaigly same way the t5577 can emulate many cards but not at once…

1 Like

I used to work for a large military supplier as a QA engineer. One of our products was an intervalometer for aircraft-borne rocket launchers.

The PCB for that thing was chock-full of shorts, connection bridges, extra resistors and caps tacked on as if they were aftertoughts - and the whole affair was then potted to avoid failure due to vibrations.

When I enquired about that sorry mess, and asked why we didn’t redesign the board entirely (which was my job after all), the reply was: as long as we modify the original board from the 60s, it’s a modification. If we redesign the board, it’s a new product and it’ll have to be certified by the FAA and the EASA as such - by modern certification standards. The 1960s board was never certified because it was a military product, and it was exempt back then, so we could do anything we wanted.

Yikes… The damn thing was more tacked-on modifications than original product. And I know for a fact that it’s still flying…

2 Likes

I saw some boards like that at my last job. I know they went into the rockets though not into the launchers. Anyway we had a specific path that a bunch of jumper wires had to follow and extra caps on the board then we had to tack down all the stuff so it didn’t move lol.

2 Likes

Hello, my first post, I call South Australia home.

I would appreciate help wiring up a RFID reader.

I purchased a couple of RFID readers many years ago from a US serviceman.
I think I have the original xEM Access Controller, but I don’t have the wiring connection information, and my readers didn’t come with the red/black/white or yellow wires, just the eight pin connector and the spade lug connectors.

I’ve tried tracing the eight pin connections back into the PCB and worked out the ground pin seems to be the second from the right top row, but that’s all that makes sense.

I haven’t done the mods as yet wanting a bit more clarification first, as I was told they both “worked”.

Assistance would be appreciated.

Hey mate,
Pretty sure I / we can help you out.

Can you upload a photo?

Hi there, thanks!
It looks the same as this one: https://forum.dangerousthings.com/uploads/default/original/2X/b/bad6f1e0c2721b7e250f2a930cbcb04405909142.jpeg

This should get you started

This should get you finished

Amal actually had an accompanying video on YouTube to go with with the one above for enrollment etc. , but its currently showing as Private.

So I went all old school up in this bitch

Here you go

1 Like

Mate, thank you very very much for your efforts, I do appreciate it. It’s the actual connections to the PCB that I’m looking for assistance on.

2 Likes

Ah, My Bad, You did ask for that quite clearly;
Wait one, I’ll go an pull one apart

:hamster_emoji_gif:

1 Like

This is a modded one (4 wire)

I have a 3 wire one I can open up for you tomorrow

1 Like

Mate, that’s a great, it looks like the wiring starts at the top row of pins positive on the right, then next pin going left is negative, then yellow and white being the outputs.

And the mods mention in this post haven’t been done – interesting!

I guess you know all about the tamper-proof screw!!! and how difficult it can be get it undone!!! You have technique!!! Lovely! Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

As promised

1 Like

You’re a legend, thank you so much!!!

3 Likes