xEM affected by temperature changes?

Nope: the reader worked fine with the EM in my hand.

I thought of all that too. The only remaining possibility I can think of is that it was somehow disabled temporarily, either by temperature, or by a loose solder joint - possibly the latter caused by the former. If that’s what it is, the problem is bound to reappear some day. I sure hope not…

I have a remedy, but you won’t like it

If the implant is damaged, it’s too late for your remedy :slight_smile:

1 Like

He needs something like this, to keep the barefoot feel.

your product go on top the platform yes, not being hit by the impactor, but riding on top of it?

Assuming the boss approves, any chance you could take photos of the thermal cycling and video of the drop tester with chips on? … for the testing page?

Yes that’s right: the product is attached to the rail that’s screwed onto the sacrificial block of wood (the “impactor”). There’s a bit of unused flat space above the horizontal aluminum bar the block of wood is screwed onto: I’m thinking of taping a few chips there. They’re so light they won’t damage anything.

And of course, I can tape a few chips directly under the impactor, for repeated massive squashing testing.

Also, I’ve been meaning to add a proper hit counter to that device for a long time. I could simply add a reader at the bottom of the guillotine and catch one of the chips passing by. That would be a good occasion to implement a counter, and a dead-or-alive check for the chip at each hit at the same time. I could even ship the data to you, to add a live counter on one of your pages (as in, “that chip has survived xxx hits so far”) :slight_smile:

My boss is cool. I don’t think he would mind, since there wouldn’t be any identifiable information in the photos or videos. But I still want to run that one past him because, well, I can’t just go misuse the facilities willy-nilly. Also, our product aren’t consumer products, and there might be restrictions dictated by our customers. But I doubt it.

Lemme check with him on Monday.

2 Likes

I just ordered 3 of those WiFi NFC readers to query the status of the chips remotely :slight_smile:

To reply more visually, this is the range of the ACM08Y reader I use at work, with the IAR EM4305 in my hand, and the xEM in my foot:

Kinda hard to achieve poor positioning on the reader :slight_smile:

And yes, sad ole me is at work today.

4 Likes

Only rosco would see it as normal to be sat with feet on a high power reader and waving around his feet on camera :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Nothing terribly extraordinary to me…

On the other hand (pun), think what you will, but at least if someone wants a long-range reader, or an implant in the foot, or both, you gotta admit that’s pretty good documentation material right there :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a neat reader, but I can’t believe they’re charging €89 for it. Must have some excellent proprietary firmware.

That’s the price of laziness. You can do cheaper with an arduino, an NFC board and some time to put it all together. But I want plug and play. So I pay a premium for the privilege.

Amal: boss is okay. You can send stuff over to test if you’d like. There’s room for as many as you want of any kind in the 4 temperature chambers, and room for maybe 10 / 12 glassies on the drop tester’s carrier (fewer than that if you want to test flexies).

And if perchance you want to test crushing a few under the drop tester’s impactor, I can put 2 or 3 glassies, or 1 or 2 flexies there. But I suspect if they don’t shatter or get mashed into a pulp, they’ll quickly become embedded in the wood. So maybe it’s not such a great test. Still, if they survive, that’d be impressive :slight_smile:

Photos and videos of course.

4 Likes

sweeeet!!

haha no way… the x-series would send glass shattering everywhere. the magic of x-series is that it’s slightly higher strength than your tissue so your tissue loses and squishes out of the way, absorbing energy as it does… it’s still just glass. the flexies… that’s another thing… but honestly, if a screwdriver being rammed into it with a hammer isn’t convincing… i mean… well hahah :slight_smile: the mob packaged chip though… that will definitely shatter too under an impactor… so meh… not worth testing.

2 Likes

I was under the impression that they were filled to the brim with epoxy - thereby making them solid plastic objects with a glass coating, essentially. That’s why I thought a crushing test might be relevant - or at least a good stunt.

yeah there is resin inside but its not rock solid… and even if it was the glass itself is still going to be easily crushed and peel off like the candy shell of an M&M :wink:

1 Like

Tell you what: after I’m done running whatever you send me in the temp chambers and on the drop tester, I’ll pick one and put it underneath next to that crap DSruptive faux NeXT chip I have and I’ll hammer both down with the video rolling. If yours happen to survive, you’ll have your stunt video.

1 Like

Holy crap, I ordered those things on Nov 6 and they’ve only just landed at customs in Helsinki. 23 days to do 1,300 miles… The Serbian post must do international shipping on foot.

Aargh! What the hell possessed me to buy from the manufacturer direct outside of the EU. I’ve just been hit with 24% VAT + 15% import duty :frowning: Fuck a duck…

This is turning into an inordinately expensive purchase. Them readers had better work REALLY good.

1 Like