xGLO - Why was it discontinued?

Truth told I dunno, I didn’t see any followups, so maybe not? And really, if we’re talking about radiation concerns those are years off. Still, worth the risk to me from an interest perspective.

@Devilclarke, yeah, I get ya, but again, I just don’t think that’s really such a significant risk. It’s far more likely to be absorbed, as at any rate, the tritium gas would not be conducive to any such concerns especially at such trace amounts.

Regarding supercaps, I don’t think they’re going to be feasible as regular implants for a very long time based on size constraints, only for the hardcore grinders who wanna do larger incisions to do installs, which I don’t. If it were an injectable size, maybe with some SMD components we can get there, but I still think it’s a ways off.

Keep in mind a tritium ampoule hardly qualifies as “trace amounts”. The general disregard for tritium exposure is because the usual vector is through drinking contaminated water, which can be flushed out of your system by drinking excessive amounts of uncontaminated water.

The xGLO does not have resin inside to provide structural support like the other x-series implants. If it cracks due to blunt force trauma, a bunch of broken glass will cut flesh and expose the tritium to your bloodstream. It might not have immediate effects, but it certainly wouldn’t be good for your life expectancy.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind an xGLO. I’m just letting you know why Amal doesn’t sell them anymore.

2 Likes

Blood is probably the best place for it to go tbh.

Lol, that’s a strange thing to say. Could you elaborate?

It’s water soluble; the faster it gets to the kidneys and out, the better.

A more interesting use would be to make a micro betavoltiaic generator.

Oh yeah, nuclear powered microelectronics be cool… or how about a self charging cell phone?

2 Likes

Betavoltaics are pretty cool. zvava started a thread about a watch implant where we talked about that. I just wish you could get them to produce more current. You’re not going to get very far with micro-amps

2 Likes

In short, I just am not interested in making booby traps. Break an x-series chip, not much happens and you have it taken out. Basically negligible risk. Break an xGLO and there absolutely is significant risk. I just don’t want to enable such a booby trap inside the body.

7 Likes

Don’t take this the wrong way Amal but I can’t help wondering how you thought selling capsules full of radioactive gas for people to implant under their skin was ever a good idea - not to mention, the complication and risk of handling the stuff when encapsulating it.

The other thing I wonder is how you managed to get your hands on tritium gas. Surely it’s a controlled substance and you need a variance to buy it. I once bought a 5W tube laser (before high-power solid-state laser diodes existed) and the feds were all over my case for weeks. And that wasn’t even radioactive…

Was the gas under pressure in the xGLO?

1 Like

If I recall correctly from the original post the xGLO is a off the shelf Tritium vial potted into a biosafe glass capsule. The vials are fairly easy to acquire.

3 Likes

The mind boggles :slight_smile:

THESE ARE VIALS NOT IMPLANTS!
Ebay!

2 Likes

I really should get a tritium keyring. To put on my keys. Which I leave at home since I use an implant…

Okay, maybe I don’t need one, but fuck they are cool!

4 Likes

Years ago I made a really nice keyring out of brass on the lathe and then inserted a tritium vial it looked great but it got pinched along with my bag about 6months later my wallet and everything but the only thing I was pissed to loose was the keyring :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can’t believe those things are so easy to procure.

Okay, hear me out here guys… maybe @amal made thousands of these to sell, but had to stop when the CIA purchased his entire stock…

Cheaper and easier to install that a cyanide capsule in a fake tooth… I’m on to you mate!

5 Likes

Wow, I always wanted one of those nice vial holders but they tend to want a lot for them. Pity yours got nicked!

@anon3825968, they’re not dangerous, that’s why?

Thanks @amal. I guess I was just wondering if there was another worry or risk to them, but alas, I guess there’s no way to get my hands on one of these. Or get them in my hands? :wink: Hopefully Cyberise will come back out with them - sorry kids, I’m not giving up my dream! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Fair enough… I knew I could make a superior and safer product than cyberise. I made 18 of them in total as a “can it be done” project. I never intended to make any large volumes of it, but people who wanted one were going to get one from cyberise and that was just not sitting well with me. I released them somewhat privately only here on the forum, the product page was never publicly listed on the store.

Correct.

indeed… check this out;

which lead to

4 Likes

I have one of those “negative ion wands.” A metal pen body filled with thorium dioxide, lol. They make great test sources! :stuck_out_tongue: I’m using mine to help dissuade people who believe in that crap and who buy into the EM radiation garbage.

So I guess this is all to say there’s zero chance you’d do it again, eh? :wink:

pretty much… especially since cyberise is no longer shipping firefly, there is no compelling reason to endanger my precious customers :slight_smile:

If you wanted to buy me a house or a cybertruck something grandious, then sure I’d probably consider it… but otherwise naa.

3 Likes

As soon as I can buy me a house first and something not sold on the backs of Elon’s forced labor (cause the dude is creepy af and getting creepier with his go back or else threats to Tesla workers), I’d consider it. :smiley: Hell, I’d consider it anyway, lol, cause you do cool shit and I wholly endorse it.

4 Likes