xGLO - Why was it discontinued?

There are old Cinnabar mines around my area. What’s Cinnabar you ask, why it’s Mercury Sulfide. Back in the day, they’d dig that stuff up by hand, then heat it in big metal pots over a wood fire to render out the Mercury.

I know this cause one of the Olde Timers in the area was talking about going to the mines as a boy, and watching his father work while playing with Mercury and running around in the fumes from the pots.

He’s fine, no ill effects. Don’t know how everybody else turned out, but I’m damn sure not trying that. We’ve progressed since then in scientific and safety thinking. No need to go back.

2 Likes

Mercury exposure like that (as a liquid) is harmless.
The vapors when heated aren’t.
My father told me about playing with it as a boy. The silver dime amalgamate trick.
I’ve kept mercury for years, a fascinating metal.
Spills aren’t fun or easy to completely clean up and must be avoided…ha-ha.

Been to the Mariscal Mine in Texas and another one nearby. Unfortunately the distillery for the Mariscal mine was completely torn apart. Huge section of 30" diameter terracotta pipes laid strewn about, most of the hearth remains. It’s eerie to walk those grounds because you know at least some if not all of the workers suffered from their exposure.
Even mining it is hazardous. Cinnabar was all around both sites, cool. Both mines are still there too, now a haven for bats.

2 Likes

I’ve got some Gallium in the other room. Fun stuff. Very pretty. Much much less likely to give me toxicity / neurological issues.

2 Likes

Completely agreed. Mercury is fine unless you have an open wound and can basically get it into your blood. My Dad bit apart a thermometer as a kid and presumably swallowed at least some of the mercury and was fine. Cody from Codyslab talks about this a great deal.

Now kids, gather round close, let’s talk about dimethylmercury, a name you can’t even Google without seeing Karen Wetterhan’s name, and not for good cause. Organic mercury compounds are very naughty substances indeed, and not to be trifled with. That scares me far more than radiation, because ANY exposure is likely to be devastatingly harmful - so much so that almost no labs anywhere will handle it directly after her death unless it is absolutely required for the experiment and no substitute exists. THAT scares me.

bionerd ate a Chernobyl apple and played with the firemen’s clothing from the basement of the hospital. That’s tame compared to that wretched stuff.

@Satur9, simply stated, I think we just have differing views on acceptable risk. Some of them are well informed and some are just based on your life. That’s fair. But I still disagree. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol, when I was 6 yo I chumped down on thermometer and promptly swallowed the mercury.
Tastes like Chernobyl chicken…

1 Like

TASTY GOODNESS.

Mercury is made out to be some demonic thing but it’s really only dangerous in specific circumstances or in other compounds.

Note there is a form of mercury that can be absorbed directly through the skin at a much higher speed and danger than elemental mercury ( Dimethylmercury )

Here’s the CDC page on elemental mercury; https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ershdb/emergencyresponsecard_29750021.html

Probably shouldn’t advertise that.
No one will find it… unless they are looking for it.
Mercury compounds tend to be very bioavailable ie very toxic…

Yep, I wrote aboot that above. Karen Wetterhahn was a colleague of my cousin at Dartmouth. You all but can’t get it these days.

It’s still used… much less and much more cautiously.

1 Like

Wow small world, I know someone who had an accident with some in a lab. Lab was shut for 3 weeks for cleaning and decontamination TBH it was a piss take as they didn’t start working till 2 days before the lab reopend…

Nasty stuff.

1 Like

Yes but not exactly. The safety regs in labs now call specifically for the least toxic analogous material to be used in place of DMM based on what will work in the experiment, with DMM only coming out if it absolutely must be used, which is pretty rare. Even then, the handling regulations are vastly different, because in Karen’s case, the DMM penetrated her gloves nearly instantly, in just seconds.

Yes it is @Devilclarke. Very scary.

There were 2 idiots a decade or so back in Alabama or somewhere that way that decided to get high by treating tobacco with elemental mercury and smoking it.
They noted the metallic taste.
They became drooling febrile morons in a few minutes flat. Chelation therapy saved their lives but that was about all. The damage was done.

1 Like

No: they started drooling and became febrile. But they were morons before taking a drag off the quicksilver spliff.

1 Like

I’m with @Rosco on this one, lol.

But that’s again in that circumstance where it’s being inhaled in a form much more bioavailable.

Careful here… that statement is basically what the Curies would have made about radium. Just because the effects aren’t immediately apparent or acute does not mean there aren’t ill effects.

Wow… so sad to know what’s happening to you as it happens, and you can’t do anything about it. For anyone else who might not know;

4 Likes

Side note since we’re on a related topic, Amal, what about other colors for xLEDs? I can’t imagine forward voltage is an issue since white is typically as high as anything else?

I would want multiples, which is why I wouldn’t want to do just xSIIDs given the cost difference.

Overcoming the forward voltage isn’t usually an issue. Other xLED colors are challenging because the capacitance of the LED itself is part of the LC tank circuit. The tolerance on the resonant frequency is extremely tight, and prototyping on a bench outside of the actual implant form factor will never give you an accurate representation of the final result. You would pretty much need to pay a manufacturer to do several small batch runs to test out different antenna configurations (which they hate doing and punish you with the price). Antenna tuning is black magic, even with expensive simulation softwares.

The xSIID on the other hand can easily be modified to support any LED color because it contains an energy harvesting IC that has a regulated DC output.

3 Likes

Got it, thank you!!!

1 Like

Why? Shouldn’t they like that you do develop a product with them, don’t they want that you buy some bigger batches of the final product?
I thought they’d like to support such research…