xGLO - Why was it discontinued?

The mind boggles :slight_smile:

THESE ARE VIALS NOT IMPLANTS!
Ebay!

2 Likes

I really should get a tritium keyring. To put on my keys. Which I leave at home since I use an implantā€¦

Okay, maybe I donā€™t need one, but fuck they are cool!

4 Likes

Years ago I made a really nice keyring out of brass on the lathe and then inserted a tritium vial it looked great but it got pinched along with my bag about 6months later my wallet and everything but the only thing I was pissed to loose was the keyring :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I canā€™t believe those things are so easy to procure.

Okay, hear me out here guysā€¦ maybe @amal made thousands of these to sell, but had to stop when the CIA purchased his entire stockā€¦

Cheaper and easier to install that a cyanide capsule in a fake toothā€¦ Iā€™m on to you mate!

5 Likes

Wow, I always wanted one of those nice vial holders but they tend to want a lot for them. Pity yours got nicked!

@anon3825968, theyā€™re not dangerous, thatā€™s why?

Thanks @amal. I guess I was just wondering if there was another worry or risk to them, but alas, I guess thereā€™s no way to get my hands on one of these. Or get them in my hands? :wink: Hopefully Cyberise will come back out with them - sorry kids, Iā€™m not giving up my dream! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Fair enoughā€¦ I knew I could make a superior and safer product than cyberise. I made 18 of them in total as a ā€œcan it be doneā€ project. I never intended to make any large volumes of it, but people who wanted one were going to get one from cyberise and that was just not sitting well with me. I released them somewhat privately only here on the forum, the product page was never publicly listed on the store.

Correct.

indeedā€¦ check this out;

which lead to

4 Likes

I have one of those ā€œnegative ion wands.ā€ A metal pen body filled with thorium dioxide, lol. They make great test sources! :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™m using mine to help dissuade people who believe in that crap and who buy into the EM radiation garbage.

So I guess this is all to say thereā€™s zero chance youā€™d do it again, eh? :wink:

pretty muchā€¦ especially since cyberise is no longer shipping firefly, there is no compelling reason to endanger my precious customers :slight_smile:

If you wanted to buy me a house or a cybertruck something grandious, then sure Iā€™d probably consider itā€¦ but otherwise naa.

3 Likes

As soon as I can buy me a house first and something not sold on the backs of Elonā€™s forced labor (cause the dude is creepy af and getting creepier with his go back or else threats to Tesla workers), Iā€™d consider it. :smiley: Hell, Iā€™d consider it anyway, lol, cause you do cool shit and I wholly endorse it.

4 Likes

we could make a biohacker compound.

8 Likes

The more visably cyborg you are the higher your level! Only when you reach pure cyborg can you drink to coolant (read as kool-aid).

3 Likes

2 Likes

Interesting conandrum: you either sell a ā€œsafer dangerous productā€ to steer determined reckless people away from the lesser alternative, or you donā€™t release said dangerous product, putting said determined reckless people even more at riskā€¦

Kind of like the addiction centers who give away clean needles to junkies: they shouldnā€™t, but itā€™s better than if they didnā€™t. I didnā€™t understand it that way. Thank you for clarifying.

That isā€¦ Wow. Words elude me. I guess Iā€™m really naive: I really thought dangerous substances were much more regulated than that nowadays.

Although I shouldnā€™t be too surprised: when I was a kid, I tried to put together a collection of all chemical elements in the Mendeleev table. My dad even helped me: we put together a nice wooden Mendeleev table-shaped display case, and I started putting bits of mundane elements in it (copper, iron and all). For gasses, it was more complicaed, but I managed to synthesize hydrogen and oxygen with water and batteries into vials that I closed with a rubber cap. For helium, I bought a balloon and filled another vial with the content. Those probably leaked without hours, but I didnā€™t know of course.

My Mendeleev table box slowly filled up, with my dad all happy that I was leaning chemistry in the process. But quickly I ran into a problem: a lot of slots were going to remain empty because it was simply impossible - or very complicated, or very dangerous - to get or keep some elements. My dad was quite adamant that I wasnā€™t going to store sodium metal in there for instance.

And then one day at the library, I read that smoke detectors used Americium 241. Great! I could get one of those easily enough. After school, I bought a used smoke detector in a thrift shop, dismantled it, extracted the magic metallic disc in it and proudly put it in the case.

My dad came back from work that evening, and a couple hours later, he gazed at the display case and noticed something in the bottom row. I had waited all evening for him to notice. Boy did he notice! He freaked out, took the display case away and drove off with it - never saw it again - and he stuck me in the shower for an hour with a wire brush and a bar of soap, and stern instructions to scrub.

BUT! That was in the 70s. I didnā€™t think that kind of shenanigans was still possible in the 21st century.

2 Likes

.A shame, you could have been the first Nuclear Boy Scoutā€¦

Oh wow, so Iā€™m not the only stupid kid then :slight_smile: He did that in the 90s too, which astonishes me even more. I mean, I grew up when atomics were still considered a friendly desirable space-age thing to do. But in the 90s, that whole concept had all but disappeared - if only because Chernobyl happened in the 80s.

Wellā€¦ these keep dropping in price.
Youā€™re own on demand solid state neutron source.

But kids who were lucky enough to have wealthy parents in the early 1950s had the unprecedented chance to play with uranium ore in this very cool science kit. The Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab was only sold from 1951 to 1952, and at the time its $50 price tag was too steep for many families.

The kit came with four different types of uranium ore, a geiger counter, a miniature cloud chamber, an electroscope, a spinthariscope and an educational comic book called ā€œLearn How Dagwood Splits the Atom!ā€ Kids could perform their own experiments at home to discover the secrets of radioactive materials and learn how they made ā€œclean, safeā€ atomic energy. The kit even included a government manual called ā€œProspecting for Uranium,ā€ which claimed to be able to help kids discover new sources of uranium and be rewarded with $10,000 from the US government.

Because the radioactive sources only have a finite life, the instruction manual came with a handy re-order form on the back cover. Unfortunately, the product wasnā€™t on the market long enough for those ores to degrade, much less be re-ordered. Thereā€™s no way parents today would let their kids play with radioactive materials, but this science kit has become a much-sought-after collectorā€™s item. Complete sets can sell for more than 100 times the kitā€™s initial cost.

4 Likes

I had a chemistry set with stuff in it you wouldnā€™t believe. There was a vial of quicksilver in it - fascinating thing, that. Nowadays if you break a old thermometer, FEMA is called in. There was also an acid and a base that were really quite strong iirc. No radioactive things though, just chemistry :slight_smile:

2 Likes