xGLO - Why was it discontinued?

Probably shouldn’t advertise that.
No one will find it… unless they are looking for it.
Mercury compounds tend to be very bioavailable ie very toxic…

Yep, I wrote aboot that above. Karen Wetterhahn was a colleague of my cousin at Dartmouth. You all but can’t get it these days.

It’s still used… much less and much more cautiously.

1 Like

Wow small world, I know someone who had an accident with some in a lab. Lab was shut for 3 weeks for cleaning and decontamination TBH it was a piss take as they didn’t start working till 2 days before the lab reopend…

Nasty stuff.

1 Like

Yes but not exactly. The safety regs in labs now call specifically for the least toxic analogous material to be used in place of DMM based on what will work in the experiment, with DMM only coming out if it absolutely must be used, which is pretty rare. Even then, the handling regulations are vastly different, because in Karen’s case, the DMM penetrated her gloves nearly instantly, in just seconds.

Yes it is @Devilclarke. Very scary.

There were 2 idiots a decade or so back in Alabama or somewhere that way that decided to get high by treating tobacco with elemental mercury and smoking it.
They noted the metallic taste.
They became drooling febrile morons in a few minutes flat. Chelation therapy saved their lives but that was about all. The damage was done.

1 Like

No: they started drooling and became febrile. But they were morons before taking a drag off the quicksilver spliff.

1 Like

I’m with @anon3825968 on this one, lol.

But that’s again in that circumstance where it’s being inhaled in a form much more bioavailable.

Careful here… that statement is basically what the Curies would have made about radium. Just because the effects aren’t immediately apparent or acute does not mean there aren’t ill effects.

Wow… so sad to know what’s happening to you as it happens, and you can’t do anything about it. For anyone else who might not know;

4 Likes

Side note since we’re on a related topic, Amal, what about other colors for xLEDs? I can’t imagine forward voltage is an issue since white is typically as high as anything else?

I would want multiples, which is why I wouldn’t want to do just xSIIDs given the cost difference.

Overcoming the forward voltage isn’t usually an issue. Other xLED colors are challenging because the capacitance of the LED itself is part of the LC tank circuit. The tolerance on the resonant frequency is extremely tight, and prototyping on a bench outside of the actual implant form factor will never give you an accurate representation of the final result. You would pretty much need to pay a manufacturer to do several small batch runs to test out different antenna configurations (which they hate doing and punish you with the price). Antenna tuning is black magic, even with expensive simulation softwares.

The xSIID on the other hand can easily be modified to support any LED color because it contains an energy harvesting IC that has a regulated DC output.

3 Likes

Got it, thank you!!!

1 Like

Why? Shouldn’t they like that you do develop a product with them, don’t they want that you buy some bigger batches of the final product?
I thought they’d like to support such research…

What you’re moving beyond prototyping you do small production runs to avoid large numbers of useless or inferior products.

Manufacturers that can get down to a reasonable price per unit do so by economies of scale. They don’t want to prototype and they don’t want to do small batch runs because one time costs like the machining of a mold can’t be spread out over thousands of units. Supporting research is expensive. If we were willing to deal with xLEDs that were $400+ dollars per unit, we could get whatever we wanted.

Engineering firms will prototype for you and “develop a product” but after the first few proof of concept units they just farm it out to a medium-sized large scale manufacturer like everyone else.

2 Likes

Just pay a premium for color instead

1 Like

Ok so it’s not punishing but just fix costs for each batch + price per unit? Makes sense.

With features you may not necessarily need. :wink: