Xsiid and nxp tagxplorer (windows)

Greetings all.

Longtime lurker, new poster.

I had an xNT implant sitting on the shelf until I saw the sterilsation expiry date was due to expire soon. Got implanted in January this year.

And now the introduction is over …

A lot of the ndef memory issues for the xsiid focus a lot on mobile os such as android or ios. However, I havent seen a single person mention the use of nxp tagxplorer for windows. Nxp demo vids show utilisation of the password protection and authentication features.

Interestingly, I saw on the nxp community site in the video it shows the writeable ndef memory as 1952 which suggests it can utilise the 2k memory.

Any takers?

Stay frosty.

HB

Yeah, if you read my post you’ll realise ive seen this. Its this that i make reference to the fact most use cases are mobile os focussed. Im referring to tagxplorer for windows. The video looks like the 2k memory is readable for ndef.

I think the point they were trying to make with the post referring to the memory issues is that the inherent limitation is not related to NDEF standard or the hardware… it’s literally the wonky incomplete support for memory allocations for NDEF across multiple memory sectors on various operating systems such as Android and iOS.

If writing a 2k NDEF record with tagxplorer to a 2k ntagi2c chip like the xSIID works fine, that’s half the issue… the other half is reading it and making use of it… which Android and iOS have a hard time doing. So, if you are saying that you can write 2k NDEF records on windows and also make use of them properly on windows, and you don’t care about actual support of the standard across multiple operating systems and devices and you just want to stay within the windows environment, that’s great! However, if you’d like your windows written NDEF records to be readable and used with other NFC devices like phones, I’m afraid you’re still likely to be out of luck there.

1 Like

Okay that’s more where i was wanting to get to. Cross platform is not the be all and end all for me, more about being informed if full features and functionality are usable and available, and then second priority is whether that platform is convenient for me. But thank you for the clarification. My use cases are more professional than hobby. Also, sorry but i couldn’t find it amongst all the posts but will there be an xsiid with no blinky available? From what I’ve been reading the failure with some of these comes from the led function sometimes having issues, or is there an led colour that you know is more reliable than the others? (Sorry i know the answer might be a dont know but thought worth to ask).

Are you able to elaborate?

Right now we don’t have any plans to make a 2k ntag i2c implant with no LED.

The appeal with the xsiid is the 2k memory.Writing to the implant will be undertaken in a controlled environment. there will be technical assistance available to complete the end to end process. The process is not dependent on mobile devices as the write operations are not being written on the fly. Therefore, using windows is not an issue. There will be computer access etc. desktop solutions are an option for what i want to achieve.

Is this a one off or do you need quantity of an injectable, implantable xSIID with 2k and no LED?

At the moment it’s a one off.

a lot to type, and im only on my phone, with a short period to type this out, im just going to throw stuff at you and see if you catch my drift.

Do you see where Amal is heading with his questions?

I could be wrong, but reading between the lines, to me(and likely Amal also) it sounds like you are try to set up a small scale business enterprise or bespoke workplace access solution!

If so, Amal is the guy you want to include in your plans; if you dont want to make it public, my suggestion would be, you can try contacting him via DM…or maybe raise a ticket on the DT store :man_shrugging:
(ASK Amal here first, so he can confirm)
He’ll be best placed to confirm for you any MOQ, lead times, or offer a more suitable COTS solution.

it sounds like you are interested in the 2k of the xSIID, NFC read/writable, and xSeries.
Is there any reason why it needs to be i2c?
Have you considered the xDF2? only $20 more (although I think stocks are low, so if it really is a one off, you might want to get in quick ) in my opinion the DF2 is a more capable chip, and you may be able to do some other thongs you havent considered with the i2c.
I have another idea, but I’ll need to confirm something first.

If the LED is the issue, I really dont think you can “fry it” without also destroying the i2c chip, but on the outside chance it could be a solution, I’ll call in @Satur9 to 100% confirm that for you.

That’s all I have time for…for now
good luck

Every implant with an LED will have worse performance fundamentally because some of the power available in the field is being used to produce light. In the case of the NTAG I2C Plus chip, it does prioritize the energy harvesting over the NFC, so if there was a manufacturing defect that produced a short circuit, or the LED failed closed for some reason, the chip would brown out and the NFC communication would not be available for use.

Honestly though if you want more memory you can get an Apex and have a 32kb or even 64kb NDEF record

1 Like

Thank you both, we decided against the xsiid due to some of the reasons that you mentioned and because it comes with irreversible preconfiguration to the lock bytes. The i2c isn’t designed for what we want but had features and memory that would have been advantageous. I decided to pull the trigger on good ol’ reliable xNT which our uk vendor has a stock of and hopefully are still not preconfigured.

The xnt and xsiid were prime candidates as the ntag216 and i2c both have password and authenticate features that work with off the shelf software (as far as I can tell lately). The spark 2 is locked down and as it’s based off ntag424 the space is too limited.

The xdef was something I wanted for personal use and unfortunately it’s been showing as out of stock in both UK and US. I don’t think there’ll be another run since a lot of focus is being put into flex implants.

1 Like

That was what I was going to suggest but I wasn’t 100% of the chip.
Im pretty sure Amal would ha e been able to unlock them and make them blank if they suited your purpose.

It sounds like the xNT will suit your purpose, and I’m not sure of your budget, but in 90% of cases, I would reccomend a NExT over an xNT.