3D Printer Tipps&Support Lounge

Yep, that’s the right board, but you also need a set of stepper motor drivers (TMC2208s are the most popular). You should be able to find a full set of those on ebay for pretty cheap as well.

One of the bigger things to contend with is the screen. The most popular one to pair is the TFT24, a touch screen.

The one on the i3 Mega already won’t work unfortunately, it’s proprietary, made for AnyCubic.

(just saw your edit, that screen would work).

1 Like

do i need 4 or 5 drivers?

1. One for the x-axis, one for the y-axis, 2 for the z-axis (one for each side), and one for the extruder.
1 Like

ok - thats a deal

for the TMC2208 there are two options
?
uart and diy - do you know the difference?

maybe buy a bltouch with it

Ayy very nice, that’s an excellent deal. A full 20 euros cheaper than the bundles I could find.

1 Like

its shipping from china

UART essentially allows you to control all of the stepper drivers via the board itself through the firmware, with DIY, it has to be tuned via the pots on the drivers.

Would recommend the UART version if you can spring for it.

A BLTouch is definitely a good investment, I love mine.

1 Like

Been meaning to upgrade my board

I have like gen 1 creality main board

Robot opera lol

Trying to decide if I care enough about potentially running linear advance or just slap a silent board in there

do this knockoffs work okay?

From what I’ve heard, it depends on the knock-off, but most work just fine.

Considering the cost of the printer in the first place, plus the cost of the parts you’re buying, I would probably go for the knock-off too. Probably not worth it for a genuine one in this case.

1 Like

Checking in here, also running a BL Touch knockoff on my Ender 3, haven’t had any issues at all. Just ordered an Ender 6, pretty pumped for a new challenge with corey-xy!

1 Like

What printer do you have?

Ender3?

More or less

I just finished adding some belt tensioners
Been sitting in the “to do to printer” pile for a few weeks now, a Christmas gift to my tireless ender

Literally just 6 t nuts and a straight swap he tells himself
Definitely won’t need power tools

needed a cut off disk :roll_eyes:

And it’s about time for me to change all 13 of my rollers, which should be a barrel of fun

Probably also doing a nylock mod to my bed I’m in there

I can’t give any advice on bed levelers, someone far smarter than me at printing explained to me long ago why auto leveling is a half assed fix, and that your far better off in the long run just spending the time getting a really good level and never messing with it

I forget the exact points, but it was about how it either adds a ton of work to your z, or you get some out of square result

Point is dudes been doing 3D printing in one form or another for a long enough time in both hobby and industry levels that when he speaks I listen

Up until an hour ago I hadn’t leveled my bed since March?

1 Like

To add to the bed leveling conversation,
From my understanding doing it manually is the best way to get a level bed. But using a touch probe of some description is an easy way to compensate for a bed thats not flat.

I know over time the bed sticker on my printer has gotten ever-so-slightly thicker in the center due to buildup of plastic. So while the bed is “level”, the touch probe helps get large prints to stick evenly to the entire surface over a bed thats not very flat.

YMMV

1 Like

Yes, I too faced the same issue, but then I got it replaced from Airways Printing, now it is the same 3D printer that I needed and it works really well than the earlier one. You can also go through and get your issue resolved.
Thanks.

Thread necro

@darthdomo (or anyone else this applies to)
You have an ender as far as I know,

So you run octopi?

I’m considering finally biting the bullet to add some mosfet safety in addition to wifi file transfer

I’ve used it a lot in the past, but haven’t set it up for my ender 3 yet (although I think I might do that rn, I’ve got everything I need lying around). It’s really convenient, but I would ensure that you’ve got a good enough power supply lying around. When I used it a few years ago, my power supply couldn’t supply enough current, and the Pi would reset, ruining my print. Should be fine with a good supply.

I would also recommend getting a camera to use with it. The official pi camera or a cheap USB webcam would work. It makes it much more useful, being able to see what you’re doing it you’re starting a print remotely. It also allows you to monitor your print remotely, which is nice if you have to run to the store or something.

My threadstarter i3 mega is still not fixed.

I was wondering if i can just replace the mosfet…

I run octopi for my prusa mk2.5s, and I will say it is really really good at what is does.

Some things to think about though:

• if your printer supports power recovery, is that something that you need? AFAIK, octoprint does not currently support those sort of features well if at all
  • do you have a touchscreen or other way to conveniently start a print near the printer? You can’t go to the normal print from SD menu to select a gcode file, so stopping, pausing and resuming prints can be annoying without a local interface. Phone might work well enough for you though

Apart from that, plugins are amazing, and so are the monitoring features. You might also want to look into Klipper if you’re willing to put in the effort to reflash your printer firmware / go through all the tuning processes, the results can be quite insane (mainly in terms of print speed / quality)

I decided to go ahead and re-do my OctoPrint setup, now that I have a spare Raspberry Pi 4 lying around (this Pi 4 has a lot of GPU issues, but otherwise it works, so it’s good for this).

One of the things I’d make sure you set up is Cura integration, if you use cura. It’s super convenient.

It adds a print button right in cura after slicing, that automatically starts the printer. It also adds the camera view, and full printer controls under the monitor tab of cura:

Ignore my terrible camera quality, I got this webcam for like $2 on sale at a grocery store.