A bit of confusion regarding writing

Does the full kits with implants come with something to write to them? If so, how? And I’ve heard talk about the Proxmark3. What is that? What can it write to? And what does the RDV4 kit include that a 40 dollar one doesn’t?

None of the kits come with ‘writers’ - depending on what implants you get, what you need to write them changes.

At the most basic level, writing an xNT or the HF side of a NExT requires an NFC capable phone and an app like TagWriter or NFC Tools.

There are various ‘cloners’ sold all over the internet out of china as ‘turn it on and it works’ systems - they all have problems and as you’re looking at going into pentesting will just give you more headaches.

The Proxmark3 is an open source RFID research and development platform. It can read and write HF and LF, just about any type of card you can imagine - and the list is growing! It’s a little bit harder to learn than the basic cloners, but nothing you can’t pick up in a weekend. This is definitely the way to go.

As it’s open source there are different variants that all can call themselves Proxmark…

Proxmark3 Easy: These are the ‘clone’ boards that are all over AliExpress. (a company once made this nice compact size, china started making a lot more of them!) This is the way a lot of people go if they only do occasional writing, its RF performance is pretty good, but working with implants can be a bit fiddly. For me, this was the way I went, and a lot of people on the forums will tell you the same thing.

Proxmark3 RDV4: This is the gold standard - in active development by some of the best minds in the RFID research space. It’s sleek, its modern, it comes with a sexy case, theres a Bluetooth option available for field use, it can be easily battery powered. It also has the advantage of being better for changing antennas to suit your use, such as the ProxLF antenna which is the best for LF implants (its scary good!)

Those are the two most common, it just comes down to how often you’ll be programming and how much money you can justify.

3 Likes

Nice breakdown @Compgeek

As said above, a Proxmark Easy is a mustang as the Proxmark pro is a Ferrari.

Farther reading distance, specifically designed swappable antennas, more capacity to perform “brute-force” attacks. The pro is able to run headless without accessories.

The Proxmark Easy wins over a blue cloner all day. It allows you to FULLY interact with RFID and nfc. All in one tool!

2 Likes

I will jump in with a couple of things, Proxmarks covered above.

No, but you probably have one in your pocket, or your hand right now.
So when you say write, you probably mean read and write.

Your phone can write NDEF data to NFC compatible implants.
NDEF being an intialism for NFC- Data Exchange Format
NFC is a protocol in th HF band 13.56MHz allowing you to write to you compatible implant.
this is an example of what you can write with your phone to implant

Here are some tools to do that

Tag Info
Tag Writer
NFC Tools
NFC Tools Pro

Now If you want to write a UID or NUID (unique ID and Non unique ID) here is where the proxmark comes in.
Keeping it simple, only LF implants:
xEM, NExT-xEM, xHT, xBT can have their UIDs changed
The only HF implant is the Mifare classic 1k family: xM1 and soon to be released the FlexM1 gen1a &gen2.
Any other HF devices need to be enrolled into the system, and they need to be compatible… but that’s another matter when I’m on my laptop and not typing on my phone.

Between @Compgeek @MouSkxy and myself you should have a better idea.
If you haven’t already, check out the faqs and Wikis, that should fill in some of your knowledge gaps.
If you get stuck after that, ask away

3 Likes