A couple of questions

So what can it even be used for? And what are the differences between them? If i can only put a key or a link on it, why spend up to 250 dollars on one? Also, what is the higher frequency used for then?

You can do a lot with them, and can make some custom uses that are well worth it.
But the DF2 chip is what I would class as a “professional” chip.

the whole issue, though, lies on how RFID as a whole is seldom understood by their own system administrators.

This explanation is slightly simplified to help me shorten it:

Think a reader as a keyhole, and a chip/implant as a key.

Traditional media makes it so that the keyhole is the holder of the password (the way it’s tumble pins are aligned), and the keys must be matched to each keyhole.

This way, if you have 10 doors, you need 10 keys.

RFID came in to reverse that:
A Key is a holder of it’s own unique password now, so each door (the access control system) should choose which keys to accept.

This logic should allow you to have only one key (chip), and then each door should know which keys to accept.

Let’s apply this to your life.

Your transit card uses a DF2 chip. It cannot be cloned.
Then you go to the transport agency and request a new card.
They will take a card with a DF2 chip, add it to the system, then hand over to you.

Technically, instead of receiving a new card, you could just extend your hand and they should be able to add your DF2 implant into their system.

Then you get to your job, which also uses a DF2 badge, probably, and instead of requesting a new badge, you just add your chip into their system as well.

so on, and so on…

Unfortunately, that is not how things are done, solely because most system administrators and clerks are absolutely ignorant to how RFID works… :woman_shrugging:

So they tell you “no” out of their limitations.

LF - low Frequency - 125KHz
HF - High Frequency - 13,56MHz

There are a few other frequencies as well around, most notably within veterinary chips. But those 2 are the majority whenever you are talking about implants and access control.

1 Like

Thank you for this amazing revelation! I never thought of just asking for the company to put the code directly onto the chip. But if i were to now buy the DF2 chip, put the code directly on it, i could still put on other things like a link, right? Or would the only thing on it be my bus card? Also, i have exceeded my first day reply allowance lol

1 Like

First just make sure the company is okay with that, before investing the money into it!!
So many companies just say “no” without having any real reason behind it… :expressionless:

Also, for the sake of completeness about DF chips:

• the UID is not changeable. this means you cannot use it to copy another card

• they do have an NDEF space (see bellow)

• they do have some user-writable space which can benefit from many security features sucha s AES encryption.

UID is the primary thing used with RFID as a whole. Not changing the UID means a system must add your card into it.

NDEF is an “open space” where you can write things to. It is also the default thing that mobile phones look for when scanning. So…

Correct.
The NDEF space is separated from the “user writable space”.

This relates to a system utilising the DF2 security features + it’s user-writable space to create an “application entry”, where the company will now have the password needed to access and alter the data stored inside that block of memory.

A single DF chip can hold multiple applications up to it’s memory limit, but each application will ask for an arbitrary amount of memory.

So if you have a DF2 with 8Kb of user-writable memory space, you could have 2+ applications consuming 1Kb each, but you could not have 2 applications if each would require 6Kb of memory.

So this might also be a factor to consider if you plan on having a single chip for multiple use cases.
(most applications I’ve dealt with tend to consume less than 2Kb each. most defaulting to 500mb, but there is no “industry average”)

Thank you very much. You cleared a whole lot of things up. I have two last questions and then im pretty sure in my purchase. First of, is it possible to wipe the chip fully? Will i be able to remove both the things i put on there with my phone (presumably yes) and the “cards” that the companies put on there? And second, will this chip work with the KBR1 reader also sold on here?

I also just want to tac on that if you end up taking @Pilgrimsmasters advice for accessories for the NExT, I would just go with the NExT deluxe pack because that comes with the NExT, KBR1(for unlocking computers), and the xEM access controller for custom stuff, as well as a couple of other goodies.

2 Likes

Yes.
You can “format” the chip.
for the NDEF part, all you need is your phone and you can replace whatever you put there.

for the user-writable memory it gets a bit more complex, but doable.

Yes. the KBR only reads the UID, so works with basically any HF chip from here.

I got one and that was my first Access control used with my DF2 implant.

Although I feel like I have to stress this once more:
Make sure you do have access to the systems you want to add a DF2 before.

Just because it is technically feasible (and very simple in most cases), it doesn’t mean the system administrators will allow it.
In fact, many of those admins refuse it based on BS.

And to design your own systems will require some advanced understanding of chips and coding.

Not only that, for the transit system you are probably interested in, the chances are pretty much zero, unless you have some pretty impressive connections.

1 Like

What are actually your use cases?

Also, did you already loose access to your first user account, given that you use a different one? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

He reached the daily reply quota for a new user, so he made a new account…
:crazy_face:

Riiiiiight :sweat_smile: forgot that was a thing
What’s the reason for that existing? Spam?

Trust Level 0 — New

By default, all new users start out at trust level 0, meaning trust has yet to be earned. These are visitors who just created an account, and are still learning the community norms and the way your community works. New users’ abilities are restricted for safety – both theirs and yours.

(We also want to hide any “advanced” functionality from new users to make the UI less confusing for them as they gain more experience.)

More here

Bruh this is my only comment chain, on a thread that i created and i cant even respond with more questions. If thats considered spam i dont know

I’ll give them a call, see how it goes and decide accordingly. Thank you for all the awesome advice!

1 Like

You’re welcome!

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t misleading you into assuming a DF2 can easily be accepted into any system.

Sometimes I get caught upon my own web while attempting to explain something technical. :stuck_out_tongue:

Unfortunately most places will refuse to add your implants out of sheer ignorance.
Public transport cards are most likely to fall within that category. :woman_shrugging:

No, no, you explained it perfectly. If i didnt understand something, i asked and i think i get it now. Thanks for all the help

1 Like

Haha,
It is more inplace to stop actual spammers, you stayed in your lane.
no issue here, it was a good work around.

2 Likes

Although there is something Discourse could improve upon.

EDIT: fixed my mushybrain’s autocomplete over there :point_up_2:

It should prevent people from spamming.
It should prevent people from creating too many new threads.
It should disregard (or set a new counter for) the replies upon a Thread the very same person is the OP to.

1 Like

Discord Discourse :+1:

Luckily we don’t get too much, and the community can quickly and easily flag it.

Yeah, although it depends on the person; Take Rosco for example, he is probably the most prolific thread creator, but his posts are quality and valuable contributions to the community.

I think the levels limit new users to numbers of posts and threads.

I think the closest to this is a 3 post maximum CONSECUTIVE replies by one person.

I dont use any other Forums, but from what I have heard, It rates pretty highly.

Personally I find it pretty good, a there are limitations and a few other things as you mentioned that could be tweaked… but
It could be worse

1 Like

yes!! :sweat_smile:

Editing to fix that! thanks for spotting! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

oh, when I said “prevent people” on my previous post, I meant a new joiner, on its first day.

And “it should” was in relation to Discourse’s spambot filter.

1 Like