A Discussion on Sensing-Only Biomagnet Development

Yes! I would LOVE something like this but, kike @Zwack said, the Northstar implant isn’t what I’m looking for. Also, powering it would be problematic. But it would be awesome!

Let’s just hope the Sentero will become implantable 1 day.

You might already have one! :compass:
Don’t quote me on it, but a couple of years ago, I saw a some scientific “mentions” on Humans having a natural magnetic sense ability, I don’t have the information or references to hand, just something I saw in passing.
I might be worth investigating the validity…
:man_shrugging:

Just so you don’t think I’m full of shit :poop: or pulling your leg, some quick search results (mixed bag)

@Atilla and @Pilgrimsmaster - yep, I even read a bit about that, and thanks for the video! But problem with that, like with many other subconscious things, is the usability of it…
I’d be happy enough to be somehow aware of the magnetic field. It doesn’t have to be a vibrating implant or something, it would be cool enough to instinctively know north or something like that, but I currently don’t have the conscious ability to do so…
Maybe it’s possible to train it, somehow… gonna do a bit more research! :wink:

oh, and…

I would definitely never ever think that!

…okay, that might happen from time to time :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like
4 Likes

I like the video. After a quick watch I think that mostly aligns with what I was thinking and trying to write out. I’ll definitely rewatch it again for further absorption.

2 Likes

Years and years ago there was a study floating around about a device like this giving a bunch of people a very high quality sense of direction North Paw: Vibrating Compass Anklet Kit - IPPINKA but I’m having trouble finding it. I’ve thought for years about how to develop a sense of north passive implant but it’s a very difficult thing.

You need some sort of detectable sensation that doesn’t damage tissue, can be easily integrated and used by the brain (so not something you have to look at and check like the northstar implant), some low energy way of seeing north, of actuating something to change the location of sensation.

Maybe if we ever get access to neuralink style electrodes and an extremely tiny compass switch with 8 outputs we could maybe make such a passive powered compass, but I’m not holding my breath for anything soon.