A little advice on removal needed…

Sounds like a scene from Final Destination :joy: Glad you made it alive. Is it the first time you react violently to blood? How did you get the implant in in the first place?

In the UK using scalpels takes things to another level, see here.

I’m going to get a mate to do it instead.

Yep. Give blood every twelve weeks and have had injuries before and not reacted like this.

Went to a piercer who installed. No problem then either, or with previous implants or piercings or tattoos.

1 Like

I think the scalpels were just the convenient tripwire to bring the morality hammer down on this guy. The real problem was what he was doing with the scalpels… i.e. removing body parts that even cosmetic surgeons would be hard pressed to justify… which is probably why they went to a body modder. That’s the thing that was pushing the social buttons and the reason the punishment was what it was.

1 Like

True but they also made a big deal of him splitting a tongue which involves cutting but no removal. Given how many people now have forked tongues I’m surprised that it still raises such outrage.

1 Like

In public perception it probably didn’t help that he goes by “Dr Evil” although he is clearly neither.

Wow, I just reread the article and realised that they sent him down for three and a half years despite the fact that even the prosecuting lawyer himself said that in these exceptional circumstances his sentence could be suspended. They really wanted to make an example of him!

and James, you definitely need a kaishakunin for your next attempt! I feel for you - sounds awful.

1 Like

What did you eat before the procedure?

If you don’t have a habit of reacting to blood then in my experience it is a physiological, rather than a psychological reaction. But you didn’t die so :+1:t2:

1 Like

I have similar violent reactions when I do self installs. Doesn’t matter how bloody it is. If someone else puts it in I’m great but otherwise I am a pukey mess. Even if everything went great.

1 Like

I think this is pretty common… at least from what I’ve heard and also experienced myself. I have a nice variety of mods, and I really love to get them done - it’s painful, it’s uncomfortable, but I love it.
But doing something remotely similar to myself? Nooooo way.
I got nauseous when removing a little suture on myself, and I’m pretty sure I would have fainted if it had been more than two or three stitches.
Poking myself, on the other hand, is fine… so I have no clue where my body draws the line :smile:

They did. Even an average rapist would be out of prison again by now. This really makes me sick.

1 Like

I had a pecan and maple plait at home, then when I got to work (around half an hour later) I had an almond croissant washed down with a latte. Then it was about an hour later when I started the attempted surgery.

Hopefully to just slit my hand open, not disembowel me!

1 Like

The advice I received was to eat a breakfast rich in fat and protein. This was explained after I nearly passed out from three installations in one session. I too had a sugary and carby breakfast and apparently this was causing a sugar spike which meant it was not having the desired effect of picking up my blood sugar levels post installation.

Did you get the maple and pecan platt from the coop?

The funny thing is it has nothing to do with blood sugar. You pass out or feel light headed because of the vasovagal response. Eating or drinking just prior to your procedure, within 5-10 minutes prior to the procedure (or just after with certain medical procedures you shouldn’t eat before), will give your brain an endorphin rush that can sometimes short-circuit this response or lessen its effects. Digestion also affects the vagus nerve which stimulates the brain and, apparently, can also lessen the effects of the vasovagal reaction.

Actual glucose serum levels being “low” isn’t really a thing for most people because, generally speaking, nobody getting an implant is actually chronically starving (suffering from clinical starvation) or actually has “low blood sugar”. Unless you’re a massive long term body builder or a diabetic and your insulin dosing is way off, most people’s glucose stores in the liver and muscles will always be there to replenish actual low serum levels for many days after someone stops eating.

It’s just something regular people noticed as a patient or heard from a doctor - eat something prior to the procedure… or they were offered a cookie after or whatever… and somewhere along the line the idea of “low blood sugar” became the layman’s explanation of a much more interesting and complex cascade of effects.

As for the idea of having a fat and protein breakfast vs simple carb breakfast, I think this has to do with time, not sugar spikes. If you’re eating and waiting an hour or more until your procedure, then a simple carb breakfast will be digested rapidly while a fatty protein breakfast will take longer, keeping your vagus nerve engaged longer.

6 Likes

This is an interesting topic because a vasovagal response can vary individually and be both mental and physical.

As @amal started those of us getting implants likely don’t have the conditions that would deem them a vasovagal syncope episode but there are some ways you can kind of avert them.

In my experience food isnt as helpful. Usually when people are told to eat before they will over eat which can make the effects of the response worse and be the cause of vomiting. Eat normal the day of the procedure at least an hour before hand.

Hydrate. Hydrate more than you would normally in the day. You want to keep your blood pressure up.

Avoid any supplements that may lower your blood pressure ie magnesium.

Next, be aware of your body and it’s responses. This is a new experience you may be nervous and may misinterpret nervousness for the vasovagal response.

If you start feeling uneasy, sweating, nauseous, fuzzy, dizzy; cross your legs, begin tightening your thighs and , arms, tense up your extremities, cough(mouth covered) if possible. You want to try to increase your blood pressure through the response. Any of these tactics should be able to advert the response. It should pass in a couple minutes

2 Likes

Absolutely… docs will offer you a single cookie or a little juice box not a 3 course meal. The point is not the food, it’s the endorphins/vagus involved with getting food / eating. Without understanding this, or mistakenly thinking it’s about blood sugar, I can see why people would then want to eat a full meal…gotta get that blood sugar up! Haha :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Perhaps include a DangerousThings stress ball with every order!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Yes, but the almond croissant was from Tesco.

1 Like