About Buy & Sell

The buy and sell category is a place where community members can coordinate the direct person to person sale of used and second hand devices and products.

All risk and responsibility are yours. Dangerous Things makes no claims of the legitimacy, safety, or reliability of the people, posts, or products posted here. Beware of scammers. Review thr account history of people posting here. Do your due diligence.

Dangerous Things does not, in any way, suggest that it’s a good idea to purchase second hand implant devices. We maintain strict chain of custody over the implant products we sell. Once an implant is shipped, it’s impossible to know what it’s been exposed to or what might have happened to it. That said, it’s your life and your responsibility. Proceed at your own risk.

FAQ;

Q: What can I post here for sale? Are there any limitations?

A: Nothing illegal or clearly unsafe. Honestly it’s subjective and mods may take a post down if it tickles that little bit of the brain that makes one of your eyebrows go up involuntarily.

Q: Can I post implant products?

A: Yeah sure, just check the advisory above and know we are letting potential buyers know they are taking a risk we don’t think is a good idea… but we won’t ban it unless there’s something clearly wrong with the listing.

Q: Can I post implant products for sale that aren’t Dangerous Things products?

A: Depends… case by case. The point here is not to have people set up shop, but to support individuals with excess gear they no longer need a way to offload it in a supportive community.

Q: How do I arrange payment / shipment?

A: No idea… that’s between buyer and seller, we just facilitate making the connection. Just like any open to the public bulletin board - we don’t take responsibility for any aspect of the transaction.

Q: What if my purchase / sale goes bad and I get scammed?

A: Sorry about that, but you’ll have to sort it out with the other party, privately. Posting about your botched transactions on the forum or attacking other members will get a pretty swift temporary silencing of your account so you can cool down.

4 Likes

Q: What if my purchase / sale goes bad and I get scammed?

A: Sorry about that, but you’ll have to sort it out with the other party, privately. Posting about your botched transactions on the forum or attacking other members will get a pretty swift temporary silencing of your account so you can cool down.

I understand that there’s a degree of tension in terms of the facilitation of purchases between two outside entities - but if this is a location where folks can advertise sales; it really should contain the space for buyer feedback in some way/shape/form. I would hope that if I started scamming for example, other active members could be safe from retribution if they posted in my thread that I was doing so, without fear of retribution.

Perhaps a feedback thread where that rule is not applied as stringently?

I see your point, but, this is also a small tight community, we know most of the regulars, and who we can trust.

There are occasional purchases made between members, I am yet to see /hear of one going bad.

I would Amals statement as a
“this is not eBay, Buy At your own risk, don’t air your dirty laundry here”

I would expect something like this to be the most severe if the deal goes south

A simple warning to others and statement of facts “I bought a thing from @thingymabob , It never arrived, I would not buy from them again, Buyer beware”

Right - I want this to be acceptable, in some way. If it’s contained to a feedback thread, fine - but provide some mechanism for a reputation to be visibly dinged for poor behavior.

I totally understand this desire, but the problem from my perspective is that these mechanisms provided on “real” P2P commerce sites are heavily engineered to limit interactions to star ratings and have an extremely rigid comment / reply system to curtail the back and forth between buyer and seller… this forum has none of those tools, and in fact encourages engagement.

If something goes south enough for someone to want to leave feedback here, the chances that it devolves is extremely high… overall not great for the forum in general… easier to just keep all transaction coms off the forum entirely, outside of initial connection of course.

1 Like