Ace ideas for the KBR1

I was thinking about how the KBR1 returns the UID for computer logins.
But what if you can’t use your KBR1 for some reason and have to recall a long series of two character bytes?
I thought it would be cool to use a chip with a changeable UID and create passwords with the 6 hex letters, plus 0 for O, 1 for I and 5 for S. Then I used an anagram solver to create 8, 14 and 20 character passwords for the 4, 7 and 10 byte UIDs. I stored the results in a database.
Here are three records from that database:

4 Likes

Not sure if you’ve come across this but might be a helpful resource for what you’re trying to achieve.

https://nedbatchelder.com/text/hexwords.html

4 Likes

This is an old project might be worth looking at:

2 Likes

@Zwack still pops in from time to time and would be invaluable getting this up and running again

3 Likes

I have one of them (I need to get it back out) and made some cases for them.
If we’re reviving that project, I’ll post what I have :+1:

2 Likes

Indeed, particularly when called.

What I had would output the UID, a preset password for the UID (stored on the reader), or a password stored on the card that was “encrypted” with the UID. Not strong encryption by any means but it made the stored password less obvious when the card was read.

I should dust off the code. It looks like my office is finally going to exist, so I will have a bit more room to work on these things than I currently do.

I really should start frequenting this forum more. Especially now that I have two RFID cards for work (one secure one for work and one much less secure for our secondary data center).

6 Likes

Indeed you should

Ohhhh, Is it finally Stabby stab time???

:pbjtime:

4 Likes

The problem with that is that my work data center is 50 miles away and I have been onsite 3 times so far. In the data center, never.

The secondary data center is twice as far away, and I have been there once to get my pass.

Maybe one day I will go back.

4 Likes