Android Wedge? (this is for 15 characters)

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a wedge like this one, that is meant for Android phones?

I currently use the UID as a password for several things, and having to scan it and move back and forth is not much easier than just making every password the same.

I had a Keyboard App that would allow me to scan the UID for my implants, but it would input like, 00:00:00:00 instead of what I needed, 00000000.

2 Likes

That one is really easy: any wedge that presents itself as a USB HID device (all of them, normally) will be seen as a keyboard by any Android device if you connect it with an OTG cable.

All you need is an OTG cable :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought about that. But then I thought about having to carry that with me. If I could somehow make it smaller.

1 Like

Hmm, then I’m not sure what you’re after exactly: if you’re willing to carry a KBR1 around, surely a small OTG cable won’t make it much bulkier / heavier.

2 Likes

I may end up doing that. I guess I was looking for something sized out like these black boxes.

1 Like

Well, the smallest I can think of short of a device designed specifically for cellphones would be a USB fob and an OTG adapter.

I’m not sure you could go much smaller anyway actually, as the device needs to be large enough for the antenna to have any kind of efficiency for implants - especially HF readers. And you want a cable, as something with a fixed MicroUSB plug that isn’t really, really small would easily bust the socket if you’re not super careful all the time.

That’s what I do when I want to check LF chips before and after implanting them at my piercer’s: I bring my cellphone, this teeny tiny wedge and a short OTG cable. Both the fob and the cable fit in a matchbox.

2 Likes

I should be able to use that with my NeXT. Thanks! I will look into this one, and a HF one also if I can find one. That is a lot more manageable to carry over the one I linked.

I found this.
It can scan a tag from the keyboard and confirm the entry. It does add spaces instead of a colon. Not able to tinker with it much at the moment since I’m at work, not a good look to have a confused expression while staring at my phone for too long.

4 Likes

That is one I have not messed with.

I had a few of those, and I was unable to change the output. If I could, I wouldn’t look for an external attachment.

I will have to download that one and some others, re try them. Who knows, maybe some updates came out. Thank you.

1 Like

I’d probably just make a custom app that lets you copy the id in your wished format.
Then when logging in to a website, scan, it asks if you want use the “new tag” ndef thing or copy the id to clipboard.
Doesn’t sound 2 hard… theoretically.

KBRApp?

2 Likes

made this a while back for the acr122u

someone could probably update to work with android phones over a network or bluetooth connection… oh but it uses sendmessage windows API to “type” stuff… so probably can’t use for login to windows since that’s a protected dialog box.

2 Likes

yeah thinking about it you’d need a hardware connection… an OTG or at least a bluetooth dongle that looked like a keyboard on the USB side and did some magic.

1 Like

I think that’s another story but also a great idea :smiley:
AFAIK it’s about input to an android.
Using a phone as NFC reader for the PC is also nice.

So many ideas…

2 Likes

Smallest ones I’ve seen are these https://m.made-in-china.com/product/Micro-USB-OTG-mobile-Phone-Android-Tablet-IC-Chip-Reader-821397945.html

2 Likes