Any of you approached cosmetic surgeons for "serious" stuff?

Yeah I thought about the voicebox thing too. That would be a fantastic party trick :slight_smile:

The mouth is a great area for augmentation without the help of doctors: it’s open yet kind of still on the inside, and much more resilient to infection.

1 Like

If you use UHF RFID you could eliminate the head wearable and any batteries. NXP has(had) a UHF RFID chip called the G2IL+. The novel thing about this device is that it has a single bit digital input. It was originally intended as a security loop function, i.e. in removing the tag the loop breaks and an alarm is triggered. Now you can use several of these retainer mounted devices to a single or multiple antennas to create a tongue operated joystick. Alternatively if the user has head movement then they could be controlled by tilt switches (not mercury ;-)). A palate mounted UHF RFID tag will have a read-range of 1m at best, so 0.5m is a good compromise distance from head to reader.

Great idea - with the problem that I’ve come to the conclusion that a UHF tag inside a body just won’t work very well, if at all. All the studies I’ve read on the subject seem to indicate passibe using UHF tags in flesh for long-distance reading is a dead-end.

I didn’t know a chip existed that could read a digital input line. I’ve been wondering if a LF chip existed - or could be created - that changes its UID with the state of one or more input lines. As in, the digital inputs are “mapped” in one of the UID’s bytes.

EDIT: actually, 2 minutes of googling turns this up. Not LF, but close enough to what I have in mind. I’ll do some more googling :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Epidermal is passable, but yes you’re correct.

There are a few devices with additional features. RFMICRON have one with what is effectively an interdigital capacitor across its antenna. It is used for moisture sensing but I have used it for liquid level sensing. The range is small (0-1pF) which gives 32 levels or ‘sensor codes’ as they like to call it.

You can look at connecting devices in parallel, but those UID’s are still fixed. I think I would programme a microcontroller to emulate the NFC chip then you can do what you like. The RF bit would need to be added of course. In fact your chip could be dynamic and be an NTAG, Mifare classic etc etc too.

2 Likes

Called my local plastics. The device has to have FDA approval, then it has to be presented to the board. Upon approval, it would qualify for implantation.

So on the look out for a body mod artist in MN.

1 Like

Any news yet? :wink:
I’m really thinking about a sensing magnet for some time now… and I know my luck, guess I get a silicone-coated one implanted and a week later or so, you announce a new and improved one :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

24 posts were merged into an existing topic: Walletmor - some questions

Why is borosilicate cheaper than soda-lime for implants? I decided to read up on them and it seems borosilicate is usually more expensive for other products. I only read a couple of articles though.

It’s not the price it’s the sealing method that’s an issue. Flame seal is necessary for borosilicate and it’s very hard to get it right.

1 Like