Apex cryptocurrency wallet test - VivoKey Unplugged

This seems to be a similar model to the Tapsigner by Coinkite (creator of the ColdCard, a preferred bitcoin-only wallet).

I’m attempting to see if their Tap-Cards-Protocol could be adapted into an applet for the Apex as this would by my preferred method of utilizing the Apex as a signer in a multi-signature setup.

This is their Github if anyone who is actually technical (unlike myself) wanted to look over it : [https://github.com/coinkite/coinkite-tap-proto/blob/master/docs/protocol.md]

More to come hopefully…

Slight derailment and some food for thoughts, how do you backup something that you’re not supposed to extract ?

I think “redundancy” may have been a more accurate word here.

Since you are unable to extract the private key, these cards are typically used as part of a multisignature (m/n signer threshold) setup as opposed to just securing funds with a single private key.

This way, if one signer (key) is lost, the remaining signers can be used to sign the transaction so long as they meet the threshold set at the creation of the wallet.

2 Likes

Yes it’s a bit of a hassle to look into it, but afaict they do not prevent you from peeking inside the app i.e., they don’t use obfuscators or stuff like that.

They do however use a native library, peeking into that is even more of a hassle but shouldn’t be too hard with ghidra for instance.

Just saying if you wanted to, you could more or less “easily” see what the app is doing.