Are animal RFID implants reprogrammable?

Are animal RFID implants reprogrammable? I read an article about RFID chip implants in humans, and it got me wondering about the reprogramming capabilities of similar implants used in animals. Do they have any user-programmable data? Or do they only have some factory-programmed unique ID, that is used to map it to some kind of database or something? Does anyone have detailed information on this? thank you.

1 Like

some animal tags are em4305 which you attempt to overwrite. in most cases in which they are 3405 they’re passworded to prevent overwriting. you can attempt tear off attacks or just looking at the memory to see if they’re rewritable.

bare in mind this doesn’t mean all are em4305, a lot of manufacturers specifically fab them as their intended fdxb chip.

1 Like

I don’t think you can change the UID on an FDX-B but I know for sure that you can clone it to an LF chip.
I performed a magic trick at the vet’s clinic:
We scanned both my dogs, A and B. That was followed by dramatic gestures and incantations on my part, during which I claimed I was magically swapping the chips between the dogs. I then took the vet’s reader and scanned dog B to show that it now read as “Dog A”. The read range is quite long on pet tag readers and my hand, which was holding my dog’s collar during the read was an easy target. My xMagic had a clone of Dog A’s chip.
More magical gestures and earnest concentration to amplify my powers and I managed to “swap the chips back”. Hey Presto!

3 Likes

Yes, that is how they work but there may be some wriggle room, depending on the chip/protocol used on the implant.

To better answer your question though: are you just exploring pet/human RFID tech in a general way or is there a specific use case you want to achieve?
There are a lot of very bright people on this forum that can find ingenious solutions to pretty much anything RFID related.

Just in case (and as previously mentioned), implanting pet tags into a human is unwise for two reasons:

• pet chips are technically very limited compared to human ones because, as you said, they are really designed to supply just an ID number. Every human chip does that and then some.
    There are recent pet chips that claim to read temperature and other biometrics. Many of these claims are over-stated and besides, the achievable claim (temperature) also exists in human implants.

• Because they are intended to be permanent, most pet tags have a special coating that the body forms tissue around. This acts as an anchor so that the implant doesn’t go wandering about. Implants intended for human use typically do not have this coating, to make potential removal at a later date far easier.

2 Likes

The glass used in pet implants usually isn’t as nice and durable as DT stuff either, more likely to break in the usual spots for a human

2 Likes