ASUS is apparently using NFC in their laptops

So apparently ASUS ROG is using these little NFC Enabled keytags you slot into specific laptops and prebuilt desktops to do things like apply overclock profiles, work as a security key for a “shadow” drive, apply lighting profiles, and more. And what’s awesome is obviously you can move them between computers.

Got me wondering now if readers are small enough to be able to be grafted onto laptops in a permanent or semi-permanent solution aftermarket so we/I could add similar functionality to my laptop or desktops. For instance it would be super awesome to have a reader under my mousepad at my desktop for 2FA or on the backside of my laptop screen.

2 Likes

That’s what I did! I just never managed to do any cable management. It works just great! I save so much time with it!

1 Like

I had the idea of sticking a bare ACR122U board under my laptop’s casing somehow, next to the mouse pad or something. I even remember someone reporting to have done exactly that on this here board (can’t find it again for the life of me though).

However, when I opened my laptop, space was at a premium: there was no way in hell I could have fitted an NFC reader in there. I have no idea how that other poster did it.

1 Like

So what do you use yours for? I wanted to use the reader for my phone but sadly it doesn’t power up it’s NFC coil until after it’s already unlocked so there goes that.

This is how the keystone device is seen. The use is kinda limited inside the native app (Armoury Crate).

I would like yo replicate this, but so far I wasnt able to find 10mmx10mm square Slix2 NFC stamps.

Images with the device:

I was literally going to post this… totally stole
My thunder lol

should be available … maybe as circle wet inlays 10mm diameter…

icode slix2… can’t be secure then…

From what I gather it’s not really

It doesn’t even really encrypt the shadow drive, it just hides it on a very basic level

1 Like

Oh? Is it sniffable like NTAGs? Or some other security flaw?

It just doesn’t have any security mechanism at all. You can read the UID and memory contents and there is no password functionality or anything.

About to be clear, there’s no password feature for the standard user memory. There are AFI EAS features that can be leveraged to the do have a password function to enable and disable those particular aspects of the icode chip, but I seriously doubt the laptop is using any of those features.

1 Like