Australian with a proxmark3

Okay Hey, all! Its been a while since I have browsed this forum, But I know you have helped me in the past and I love you all.

I have a bit of a conundrum, I have just started at a university that allows us to unlock our computer labs with our student ID card. I straight up just tried to scan it with my RFID handheld as soon as I got it and it came back with nothing, no beeps etc. Now at the moment, it is with security getting access granted onto it so I can open the labs (we get given the cards start of the year and we then hand them in so they can allow the card to unlock the doors) Once I get it back I will try again (can’t hurt right?)

Now if this does not work I am stuck. Either the card uses NFC(?) or MiFare Classic or something else entirely. At this point, I will need to check it on a proxmark3. But seeing as I’m a uni student that doesn’t want to drop a few hundred on what is essentially a test of the card, I have come to You guys for help.

If anyone is willing to let me send them my card to check it on their proxmark3, please let me know! I Live in Australia so another Australian would be nice. It would only cost about a dollar in postage and I could include a return envelope and stamp. If you are outside the AUS, and I cannot find someone closer I am still willing to send you my card and pay for the return shipping.

I have a NexT chip at the moment, and wouldn’t mind getting a second chip for my school ID if it turns out to be an entirely different chip as I will be using these doors for a minimum of 4 years.

Thank you for reading and happy hacking!

What Uni are we talking about? Someone here may be able to tell you what sort of card it is and save you posting the card. Feel free to PM me if you’d rather not post it publicly.

You can also get on AliExpress a Proxmark3 Easy clone for about $60 AUD - worth considering if you are going to play around with RFID a lot but obviously not worth it for a one-off read.

I’m in Melbourne with a Proxmark3, so if you’d like to send it my way I’m happy to see what details I can read from it.

3 Likes

It has been a while, Welcome back.
Sooo, No conumdrum just yet, there are still quite a few easy avenues for you to take before you need to get all proxmark-y.
What implant(s) do you have currently?
Did you try to scan your card with your phone using TagInfo app( Or similar )
Do you have DT Diagnostic card?
Do you have xField detectors ( HF and LF )
Can you post a picture of the access Card / fob ( Front and Back )
Can you post a picture of the access panel(s) if there are different ones.?
Is there any writing on the card / fob / panels?
We will talk about social engineering later if we need to; So for now I think that is a good start, and if you can answer those questions for us, you may / or may not still need to send your card to @Compgeek who has kindly offered their services.

Are you in Melbourne?
You never know @Compgeek might be just around the corner…I know Australia is just a little Island / Continent.

2 Likes

@Compgeek and @Pilgrimsmaster

Thanks for the reply! I will start collecting info that was asked on Tuesday when im back in class and i will hopefully have my card back.

I do live in Melbourne and i go to Holmesglen Institute.

Knew i could trust you guys! talk soon when i can start getting info on the panels and card

4 Likes

Hello!

Brisbanite here!

Let me know if you still need assistance.

2 Likes

Hi mate, I live in Melbourne too, just bought an implant from these guys. Im in the same boat as OP need it for a Uni FOB, dont really have any experience with this sort of thing though.
Was wondering if you would maybe beable to help me out cloning the FOB to my implant, i would pay you for your time of course

While we wait for @Compgeek to pop in.

Can I confirm you don’t have a ProxMark3?

Which implant?

Did you want to use TagInfo to scan your card so we can see what we are dealing with? and make sure your implant is compatiable…

1 Like

Hi mate, I do not have a proxmark3.
The FOB is a HID iClass FOB
The chip i bought is a xMagic Implant

That is a screenshot from the taginfo app scanning the chip
The FOB isnt registering on my phone

Thanks for getting in touch :slight_smile:

Unfortunately
These 2 chips are not directly cross compatible.

All is not completely lost, there is potential that your xMagic could be enrolled into the access system, its not guaranteed and will depend on 2 main things.

1. The access system needs to accept 4 byte Mifare Classic chips
  2. The system admin needs to allow you to enroll your implant

Well thats unfortunate, do you know of any implants that are compatible with iClass fobs if I cant get the system admin to allow access with my xMagic?

Thanks again so much for helping this noob :sweat_smile:

your best bet is the FlexClass

Enrolling the FlexClass should be straight forward, if the administrators are happy to enrol it.

If not, Cloning is a possibility

Heres the how

BUT

FlexClass are out of stock currently

@amal @tac0s any update on availability/ re-stock?

1 Like

It also depends what types of iClass the system accepts:

1 Like

Unfortunately these are not on the short list last I heard :grimacing: No ETA.

I dont even need one, but now that I can’t have one, I WANT one :wink:

1 Like