Beginner Here! Looking to get the NExT implant

Hey everyone, I’ve been looking into getting an implant, mainly for my university student card so that I can get into buildings and such. Also, I really want to clone my Octopus Card, it’s like the Oyster card in London, it used to ride the metro and make payments/ transactions in convenience stores, I read up about it and did a little research, the Octopus card is 13.56mhz HF, however, Octopus uses a nonstandard system for RFID instead of the more popular [ISO/IEC 14443] standards, so I’m not sure if the NExt would work with that.

If not, I’m okay with just being able to clone my university card, which should be an LF-type RFID, but with the NExT, I can do both HF and LF, so I’m not worried about that.

Is there anything I should know, pay attention to, or do more research on before I get the NExT implant?

Cheers
Much thanks

Your good I’m just not sure on the octopus card thing because it doesn’t work with the iso systems. But you’re lf university card is a go for sure.

1 Like

(I deleted because I misread, thought your uni card was HF not LF).

why so, is there anything i should pay attention to if my university card is HF? Just asking, i thought the NExT could clone both HF and LF.

It can, kinda. Each chips have their limits. For instance, if your uni uses desfire chips, they can’t be copied by the next, you’d have to get a desfire chip and ask the uni to enrol yours. You’ve gotta know what chip you’re trying to copy, or if it can be. I’m not the best one to explain it technically though, best to get info from those on the forum who are better versed :slight_smile:

Does your university card have any info printed on it? Also can you scan it with your phone with something like “nfc tools” or “tag info”?

1 Like

What phone you have matters for this also

There are a few varieties that iPhones can’t scan

@Ben_bionic is pointing you down the right path…. The first step is correctly identifying WHAT you have, then we can figure out what implants fit that criteria

2 Likes

ive tried using nfc tools and tag info, but once I try to scan it, it doesn’t even show up, I think cuz I have a iPhone XR, its kind of iffy

should i try getting an android phone then? or some sort of identifier tool?

The XR should work if it’s a HF NFC type of card. To mean that means your card won’t use the HF side of the NExT chip. Now that means it could still be HF but something like an hid iclass card or it’s a LF card. Again, check the card and see if it says the type of card in a little corner somewhere. Or maybe even some text or logo on the readers the school uses.

A proxmark would make this process a lot easier. We are just trying to know the exact kind of chip inside the card and a proxmark could just tell us that answer.

The card doesn’t have any sort of info on it about what the card is, about the readers my university uses, I’ve tried paying attention to it, but its just a metal pillar with a “tap here” text on the reader.

Just wondering, if it’s the sort of HF class hid chip you mentioned, would it not work with the NExT implant? I’m still not too familiar with all this, but I thought the NExT would be the more all-around/ universal, beginner-friendly type of implant.

Knowing a bit more of my use for the implant, would you have any suggestions? Cause I currently don’t own a proxmark 3, any implants/ bundles I should look into other than the NExT?

much thanks

sorry, I know this is a lot of questions haha, but this is a very curious topic for me and I’m keen on learning more about it!

So the NExT is a combo xEM and xNT chip. The UID of the xEM can be changed, while the UID of the HF side cannot be cloned. You need an xM1 for that. The HF side can be registered to compatible systems, but you need permission for that in most cases. The HF side does have about 1KB of starage you can use to store urls, contacts cards, trigger actions, etc. The LF side you can take any compatible LF fob and clone the UID, so you don’t need permission.

I’m fairly certain that’s all accurate, I’m still pretty new too, so please anyone correct me if I’m wrong about anything. Don’t want to spread the wrong info🙂

2 Likes

So, since you don’t currently have any diagnostic tools, what you could try is:

Illuminate your card from the back, and try to identify the antenna

If it is HF, it is likely a rectangular antenna that runs the perimeter of the card.
:card_hf:

If it is LF, it is likely a circular coil in the middle of the card.
:card_lf:

All of my issues LF cards have been rectangular

The only visual key, was that the LF antennas were thick and chunk wire, and the HF was thin with a lot more wraps

This is the reason I said Likely and not certain

The only exception in my collection is
HID Prox II

2 Likes

Even if they are not circular, hf cards usually have a more squared off antenna with less tunes than the rounder antenna of an lf card (at least that I have seen)

so I’ve decided to pick up a prox mark 3 from ali-express, makes it easier for me to diagnose what the card is,to determine what implant ill get. however, as it doesn’t have the iceman firmware, ill have to flash it myself.

I just follow this video right?

Hey there, I was able to get a reading with the nfc tool and determine some info on my card

It’s a

Tag type : ISO 14443-4
NXP - Mifare Plus S

Sooo, now my question is does the NExT chop work with it or do I need the other kind of implant ?

iirc that video is for the proxmark that is pre flashed with Iceman, and i don’t think it goes over flashing, but I may be wrong

Tricky.
It depends, it may accept other chipsets rather than JUST Mifare Plus.
There is currently no direct compatible implant with a Mifare Plus, but you have options

If it has to be a Mifare Plus, you could get a conversion service on your original, or find a spare from somewhere, get that one enrolled and then converted.

Your other option is get something like a test card bundle, and try enrolling one of them.
Personally I would start with a Mifare Classic 1k because there are implants that should work if the card does.
But if you can find out what other cards are compatiable to enroll we could suggest some other implant options?

How many bytes is the UID?
ie
00:11:22:33 is 4 bytes
00:11:22:33:44:55:66 is 7 bytes

I think it is 7, But, you might be able to get away with a 4 Byte UID :man_shrugging:

2 Likes