Blood sugar scanner

Hey yall, one of my guys that works for me got this sensor on his arm yesterday for his diabetes. They are trying to sell him a scanner for over $300! When I scanned it with my NXP Tag Writer app it tells me “no NDEF” can anyone recomend a scanner or app for him.

Use the nxp tag info app to do a full scan and post the results

gab the tag info app in the app store / play store and do a full scan.

2 Likes
3 Likes

can you post a link of the scanner they are trying to sell?
might give us a better idea of what we are looking for…freq. , protocol etc.
might be some proprietary bullshit

It looks like a Freestyle Libre although I’ve never seen one in person. If it is, you should check out the android app Glimp that is a non-approved app to read the sensors.

Edit: it’s worth noting that Abbott makes apps to read these for everyone but US customers because they are assholes

2 Likes

@Locutus , nice.
I hope you are correct, that will be a great save :+1:

Looks like one of the Libre ones

This project would likely help you :slight_smile:

Or the app @Locutus posted :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Well thanks for the help guys but no luck. Must be proprietary, each app says unable to read sensor. :crazy_face:

1 Like

See if it has a patent on the device and/or technology.
The patent disclosure could useful.

2 Likes

He is going to attempt to get his hands on a trial scanner so we can do some more investigating.

2 Likes

Its definitely a libre lifestyle looking at it the like @NiamhAstra liked to is a supposedly good diy monitor.

2 Likes

Anybody know what limits the lifespan of the device? Is it the battery or the sensing element that gets spent? If the latter can measure blood sugar indefinitely (which I doubt, but maybe…), this is just begging for a charging port hack.

These sorts of medical hacks are my favourite, the amount companies charge for these sorts of things is insane - the open source community will end up saving lives!

I’m a huge fan of the hack for old insulin pumps to make them ‘closed loop’ and auto adjust to your levels.

Not sure if I’d trust my life to one, but if people can’t afford the alternative ones or don’t have insurance it can really improve quality of life.

2 Likes

Bit of both, the battery is only designed for short term use and they “company and medical professionals” dont like the idea of having the probe in the same place for a long time.

Theoretically if you could replace the battery (its a coin cell) you could use almost indefinitely but having the same hole in your arm could cause some pretty big problems.

1 Like

I was more thinking of taking it off, charging it with the filament thingy dipping in ether while it’s charging, then slapping it back on at some other location on your arm.

What I was wondering was whether the sensor used some kind of chemical to react with blood glucose, in which case at some point the chemical will be depleted, limiting the lifetime of the sensor, and thus the device itself. Or maybe the device sucks in blood, and after some time, it’s full - kind of like a toner collector in a laser printer.

I’d be very surprised if the sensor unit could keep on working forever - discounting power and hygiene issues.

The sensors each have a puck that attaches to the applicator. That piece also appears to be single use.

I’m not sure how they work I was thinking could it be some sort of conductivity measurement? It dosnt appear to draw blood as there dosnt appear to be a resivour.

This type of shit infuriates me all the waste and needlessly expensive.

Sounds like it’s a measurement of conduction

current is proportional to the glucose concentration at the measurement site

1 Like

yep… however the enzymes and what-nots involved break down over time and you need a new stabby.