Body powered implant

I found Amal’s proof of concept -implanting a solar panel under the skin very interesting, despite the small power output.

I am somewhat aware of the fragility and relatively short lifespan of such modules.
Yet I still think it might worth a prototype… just to see…

I would be happy to chip in for a project if there was a chance to.

Also, a way to use that energy should be proposed, considering the low and irregular power output.
🤷 me I don’t know, just curious!

1 Like

I was hopeful for new nano materials that efficiently utilize IR photons… current methods require up-cycling two IR photons to a higher energy photon to then dislodge an electron, but there is potential for certain materials to enable a single IR photon to motivate a single electron… when that day comes, subdermal photovoltaics suddenly become a great option… at least for low melanin skin (racist technology?)

8 Likes

As far as I know melanin meant to absorb mainly UV.
It does affect IR as well, but significantly less, so it’s more progressive :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

In fact the combo of IR and cross polarization is used to photograph the skin… to see a bit deeper, so to say.

I didn’t read a lot about IR cells you mention before… I need to Google that.

Edit: cross polarization effects the reflection of the light but not the absorption, but I need to double check that as well…

Amal is saying two things:

1. Drawing a lot of power (like an LED) from a small battery will damage it over time so it will need to be replaced

2. Drawing more current means the battery will have less capacity per charge. So for example if you draw 1mA then the battery might last for 10 minutes. If you draw 10mA it might last for 20 seconds, not 1 minute like you would expect. It’s non-linear

ok i understand but what if we use a larger batterie ( as you can see in the video the battery is flexible so we could do things like the flexNExT)

video: https://youtu.be/kJXRyWQgOY4

its seems very powerfull

when tech gets racist we have a big problem (huston huston we have a problem)

If you can get your hands on some prologium lithium ceramic batteries I would be more than happy to test them. We need to make sure that during regular charge/discharge cycles they don’t outgas or the implant will pop.

I have seen a lot of videos about them and seems to be the safest battery I have ever seen
(you can literally cut it in half and it won’t do anything)

sadly i d’ont have any and i d’ont know were to find some

I found the concept of technology being “racist” amusing. We are talking here about an inherent physical difference, on a natural spectrum. This is like claiming that a meteorite hitting the centre of London is racist because it “targeted mostly white people”.

As for the flexible battery there is still a size limitation. Particularly if you are placing it somewhere inherently flexible (like a hand).

It might be possible to place a battery in the forearm, with a piezoelectric generator in the elbow, and connect those to an implant just above the wrist with subdermal wires. But there is a lot that could go wrong there too.

1 Like

just contact them, im sure they sent out some samples/prototypes
sales@prologium.com
purchase@prologium.com

Therein lies the rub

I already reached out to them in 2019 when this was first making the rounds, but I just tried again with my vivokey email. Maybe they’ll get back to me, but I doubt it. These batteries are designed for B2B scale purchases of 1 million units or more. It can be difficult to purchase samples. Even for more obscure things like the betavoltaics, where a client like NASA is unlikely to purchase 1 million units, they still make up for the margins by charging hundreds of dollars per unit.

I see your point, but technology builds momentum and if there is a bias there, even a “natural” one, we should be definitely be cognizant of that bias as things develop. Face recognition not working so well on darker faces is one thing, but then instituting said facial recognition as was done in China as the standard authorization and citizen social credit tracking system that it is… darker faces have an unfair advantage of remaining somewhat anonymous… or in other use cases, they are excluded entirely from participating.

Humans have, for a very long time now, been bending away from the natural selection aspect of evolution, because we have the cognitive power to do so. There is nothing for us back there… so when it comes to our advances through technology, we shall endeavor to ensure its development improves everyone’s lives, not just a naturally selected segment of humanity.

1 Like

The technology itself might not be racist, but if the people developing the technology decide not to spend a bit more R&D money solving the issues that only affect people with darker skin tones, then those people are being racist.

2 Likes

Indeed, I really hate dealing with American Voice Recognition systems, and I don’t have a particularly strong accent.

Yes the technologists need to overcome these issues.

However the concept amused me.

To some extent it reminds me of a neural network that the military trained with two sets of aerial photos one with tanks in and one without.

They got 100% success then they introduced a third set and got totally random results.

They eventually realised that the results weren’t random, but the first two sets were sunny days with tanks and cloudy days without tanks. The neural network had learned how to detect sunny days!

2 Likes

yeah I know what you mean… and I totally remember that experiment! hah :slight_smile:

i guess my point is, so far we are the ones developing technologies (outside complete AI based design, manufacturing, marketing, and retail sales systems yet to be a reality), so it is up to us to ensure those technologies developed and deployed are not “acting like a dick”, basically.

2 Likes

if we could find some

it would definitely be promising as it looks super safe:

I might have found some but I think they are li-po

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60199960402/3-7v-130mah-801519-Ultrathin-Ultra.html?spm=a2706.amp_sc_detail.item_details#show_specifications

Yeah they look like lipo’s

It doesn’t say anything about no off gassing, which is also a major concern