Body powered implant

I think the common perception of dangerous lithium ion batteries is that they violently explode, and by extension that’s the failure state that people seem to be most worried about with implants. I’m much more worried about a slow buildup of pressure over time causing the encapsulation to develop cracks that allow your body to infiltrate and mingle with the electronics without your knowledge.

I haven’t seen much evidence that the lithium ceramic batteries don’t outgas. I have seen data that some other novel solid state batteries are pressure neutral. We’ll see how they end up packaging them in this disposable market though.

Truly random thought here, cause it’s my jam and all.

I’m thinking about crystal radios. Fairly big coil, but can power a earplug/speaker.

Could a reduced size be used to harvest any measurable amount of power? I mean if you had a miniscule, but still (barely) measurable supply, and could find a place to store it, a 24/7 charge could be useful-ish?

I haven’t explored the idea at all, so don’t beat me up too much. Sometimes a little out of the box thinking can jar something else loose.

Like me brains.

2 Likes

I was honestly going to crop the author, then I see it’s a supposed phd… and that just makes it even funnier

It’s a fair line of thought,
The new Bluetooth stuff power harvests from wifi or something doesn’t it?

Wonder if we could apply the same concept

3 Likes

Too be fair, if it evens works, you’re gonna get a teensy tiny slice of almost nothing. Finding a practical use for it might be even harder.

about Kac Young PhD
Her degrees are a PhD in Natural Health and a Doctorate in Naturopathy
Apparently she’s been on alot of soaps (TV), and written 23 books including, Cheese Dome Power, and Natural Healing for Cats Combining Bach Flower Remedies and Behavior Therapy.

1 Like

1 Like

I shit you not.

41K+RLzCq4L.SX322_BO1,204,203,200

1 Like

1 Like

1d42bfa1936ad5fa5c1869a46a900e19

1 Like

That tiny signal might be enough to stimulate a nerve??
If I was about to explain this idea to an average joe, shall I say that the concept is an AM radio receiver encapsulated in a glass chip, with metal conductors on the surface?

So We have gone from crystal radio (isn’t that remarkably similar to an RFID tag?) To Cheese powered.

What kind of cheese works best? Roquefort? Gorgonzola? Chevre? Cheddar? Feta? American?

I guess the point of the crystal radio is that Amal can have control overseas at night time.

• mindcontrol knob
1 Like

You can definitely harvest energy from environmental EM noise

https://www.designnews.com/gadget-freak/harvest-free-energy-crystal-energy-receiver

The question is whether you could make the antenna small enough and how much of the target frequencies are attenuated by your meat sack. My guess is it wouldn’t work, for the same reasons implanted UHF wouldn’t work. The antennas are too big, and the dielectric constant of your flesh is too high.

How do those potato clocks work? It might be possible to power it with the fluids in your body?

They use two (different) metals and the acid in the potato to act as a battery. The most obvious source for acid in a human would be the stomach, so we insert the anode and the cathode into the stomach and hey presto we have a human battery. Of course we will have to seal around the two electrodes or we will have stomach battery acid leaking into the rest of the body and that is usually a bad thing.

We could instead try to create an alkaline battery using Zinc and Manganese Dioxide. The blood is Alkaline so we shouldn’t have any trouble finding a source of Alkali when we shove the two sharpened electrodes into the body.

Of course this ignores the fact that these batteries only have a limited shelf life, and when something goes wrong they can leak, off gas and even explode.

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

This is pretty cool

Lactic acid is also present in our blood, so this same mechanism could be used internally. They were getting up to 1.1mA at 3.66V, which is pretty impressive for any small scale energy harvesting. Unfortunately it falls prey to another issue:

How do we prevent the interface from getting funked up?

Does your watch use this?

This is strange to me…

Basically it needs… uh… 35C delta to produce a 1mA of current output?! With a 35C thermal difference a standard Peltier junction would be dumping out amps of power (and probably melting a bit). Am I missing something here?

1 Like

Whelp, never seen that one, but yes. I most likely uses that cause that’s the maker of the watch.

Yeah…does look strange. Maybe the size plays a role? I don’t know too much about those things but it really doesn’t look very powerful

I guess they might have been looking at getting usable power out of it at a minimal temperature difference and also compared to elements that start out low.

Maybe the voltage is very high (3.3V or 5V). TEG specs change drastically depending on how many junctions are in series vs parallel.

What little I saw when taking a quick look at it: the TEG is bundled with circuitry to boost the voltage up to a usable level.
Which does help with the charging of things at minimal delta t I’d say.
Can’t charge something if your voltage is lower and all that.