Bodybytes Implant

What are the odds of getting to use the Broadcom wifi 6e chips (and software for them) in this?

1 Like

Low honestly because itā€™s a brand new chipset and the availability and support will be limited. As it becomes more accessible we can definitely consider adapting a newer version of the bodybytes to use this

3 Likes

Getting consistent 500mA at 5V and the heat (on the chip) is manageable. Maybe 680mA at 3.3V, but the heat gets a bit out of hand. I need to make one more pass to fix a resistor, then Iā€™ll be making them available for people to play with.

Hereā€™s a module Miana made for it already

20230609_211513

4 Likes

Wouldnā€™t heat dissipate faster through the body (which is essentially like water-cooling) than in open air? So the in-vivo temperature threshold might be higher than expected. Iā€™m not sure what kind of temperature internal cells can sustain for short periods like thatā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s the plan. The entire heat dissipation right now is convection with the air. In the body it would be entirely conduction so probably better. Basically water cooled. You can see I added as much of a ground plane as I could afford on the bottom.

This unit will also likely be available for hobbyist projects outside the body though, since I can crank them out on my pick and place machine. In that case the max draw would be more relevant for the lifespan of the device.

3 Likes

Maybe next test, you can slice open a piece of chicken, Insert the module, and see how long it takes to cook dinner :poultry_leg:

3 Likes

Iā€™d definitely buy one to play with.

1 Like

Me too.

Bodybytes?

If so, wonder where at? Dont see it on a talk when I was poking through the list, or biohacking village site.

The defcon talk was Miana (@NiamhAstra ) and the post on Facebook was chimpo mcdoodle from the discord

2 Likes

and on occasion @Chimpofm on the Forum

1 Like

First implant using the Qi charger. Iā€™m meeting up with Miana tomorrow. Sheā€™s going to add glow powder, then get it encapsulated and put in.

8 Likes

Iā€™m sure itā€™s very premature to ask, but where/when/how can I get one? Also how will installs be handled for these?

What kind of glow powder is she going to use?

1 Like

Yeah definitely premature. Iā€™ll get back to you. This was a collaboration between Miana and I for her personal use. It may literally not be safe, so after having it in for awhile sheā€™ll determine if sheā€™s even willing to offer it to others.

On my end, the black Qi receiver board will be made open source now that itā€™s finalized, and in about 2 months I should be finished with a large population run of them on my pick and place and can begin selling them to anyone who wants to use them for their own implant projects. I know the grindfest people were very interested for some of the whacky ideas they had, so there will be more interesting stuff coming up in this space over the next few months

3 Likes

Also premature, but what did you settle on for expected & functional power budgets? 500ma @5v implanted what youā€™re assuming for your work? Or did final resistors & losses from skin knock it down significantly?

She said this

3 Likes

It depends on how good you can get the coupling, because the Qi chargers are always bigger than this receiver. Under good coupling conditions with a standard Qi charger I was able to pull 750mA, but thatā€™s cutting it close. The hardware limit I imposed with resistors was 1A, and if I make a special small charger to couple specifically with this receiver then I may be able to achieve that down the line.

Iā€™m also thinking the next goal is to add an NFC antenna around the outer perimeter that is connected to an NTAG 5 so that you can do power via Qi, and transparent I2C channel over NFC to broaden the number of use cases. This is version 1 though and that will be version 2 early next year

4 Likes

hello,

I follow this project from the beginning with attention.
And i was wondering, the implant u show in last video does not store data right? for now itā€™s just to test supply right? or did i misunderstand something?