Community Project: Bodybytes
Anyone who would like to contribute feel free to add your thoughts here. If you need to make purchases to support your contribution to the project, see this thread, and direct message @amal or @Satur9 with details. Project threads can get a little out of hand with tons of people brainstorming. I ask that you limit your messages to the topic at hand. Try to condense multiple messages into one post.
This community project has been in the works for awhile. The idea is to create a smaller, more reliable, and mass producible version of the Pegleg. The project was originally started by @Chimpofm when he located these Flashair WiFi SD cards. We encountered some sourcing issues, and their interface was unreliable, so we moved on to creating a more custom solution.
The current project requirements are:
- Must be encapsulated in the flex biopolymer
- More reliable software than PirateBox
- Field programmable over WiFi
- Powered by Qi wireless charging
- Large storage capacity with software fixes that preserve the flash memory
The inconvenience of needing to carry a Qi charger to use it will be mitigated by the increasing prevalence of cell phones (like the Pixel 5) with reverse wireless charging. In the meantime there are plenty of battery banks with built in Qi charging. Here are some of the parts we have been testing out and are planning to use in the prototype:
Some next steps are:
- Designing and testing out the software (currently people are trying out FTP servers)
- Designing and testing a miniature Qi charging circuit (That has been in my court but I haven’t had the bandwidth)
This is by no means the entirety of the information available about this project, I’m just trying to parse it down. Current collaborators (mostly on Discord) are: