Dangerous Things community project agreement

This thread is to serve as a legal agreement where signees who agree to its tenet can simply reply to this thread with “I agree” to agree to the terms detailed below.

There are a lot of things that people want to explore in terms of implantable technology. Dangerous Things has a lot of projects in the works, as does VivoKey. Since time and resources are limited, we can’t explore everything that some community members want to explore. From time to time we are approached by community members with ideas or concepts they would like to see made as implantable products, and they also have the means to perform at least some of the design and engineering required to produce working prototypes. In some cases, we may also agree that the idea or concept is good and is possible to make into an implantable device. In those cases, we would want to support those efforts.

Dangerous Things agrees to

If Dangerous Things agrees to support a community project, we will provide support in ways deemed appropriate by our team. This includes concept vetting, design reviews, parts (e.g. components) and services (e.g. PCB manufacture) acquisition, and / or final assembly and testing of the finished device. If the project can be successfully manufactured, Dangerous Things may provide one or more finished devices, safely encapsulated and safe for implantation, to some or all contributors of a community project.

Contributors agree to

In exchange, community members (contributors) agree to relinquish any and all claim to intellectual property or rights related to any and all work (ideation, consulting, electrical design, firmware, software, mechanical design, etc.) associated with any project or final product, effectively making their contributions part of the public domain. The effect of this is that Dangerous Things will be free to produce and sell finished products based completely or in part on any and all community projects the signee may have been involved with or contributed to in any way.

Example project turned product

Community member @NiamhAstra wanted a new kind of iClass compatible implant, but we didn’t make such a product. So, @NiamhAstra sourced the chip he wanted to use, received guidance on antenna design from @Satur9, and was able to produce working prototypes of a custom antenna with HID iClass chip on board. A number of these devices were sent to us here at Dangerous Things. After testing, we encapsulated them and sent back 2 of the finished products to @NiamhAstra. The rest we put up for sale, and we will continue to build the flexClass product as a new entry to our product line.

In the flexClass example, it is important to note that we did not supply funding for the cards which were ultimately the source of the desired HID iClass chips, nor did we fund the iterations of antennas which had to be ordered to fine tune the design. However, with the advent of this agreement, it is our intention to formalize a way forward where Dangerous Things may fund these types of purchases to support a project’s efforts and minimize cost to contributors.

2021.08.25-1642 EDIT: To be clear, a “community project” is defined as a project with a thread created under the Community Projects category here on this forum.

11 Likes

I agree (kind of a given)

4 Likes

I agree

1 Like

I agree

1 Like

I agree

1 Like

I agree

1 Like

I agree.

1 Like

I agree (not that I am doing anything that needs me to agree to this at the moment)

2 Likes

I agree.

Out of curiosity, what happens to members who don’t? They don’t get to order the community project products? They get expelled from the forum? You turn the DT mind control machine full tilt on them? Meaning what’s the point of this agreement and how is it legally binding?

1 Like

I agree,
I like the concept of the community gaining more ability to take on more and unique projects

2 Likes

I agree

1 Like

I think the intent is less to do with purchasing the projects and more to do with contributing to them without being able to sue DT or other contributors for using the designs or selling them.

1 Like

This thread probably isn’t legally binding, but it lays out the groundwork of the system

Before anything moved forward in a more official capacity I’m sure real paperwork would happen

I can make a few guesses about community projects that *could/should have moved forward but legal ownership stuff probably got in the way

I agree

Yeah it’s basically to ensure contributors to a project are giving up any claim to their work or intellectual property. In particular it’s declaring that those who agree are putting their contributions or “work” into the public domain.

Don’t be so sure… basically the only difference between this and an OSS license is that this agreement states contributors are putting their work into the public domain. There are no rules or restrictions or stipulations, no need for governing district or arbitration declarations… it’s the cleanest legal agreement you can come up with really. I’d argue it’s binding.

3 Likes

I agree.

Do you decline contributions from people who haven’t agreed in here then?

Also, it legally takes effect after the agreement is “signed” - meaning you’re not in the clear with the flexClass, strictly-speaking :slight_smile:

Just playing devil’s advocate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Considering @amal is well respected and not in the business of taking advantage of people, and @NiamhAstra has been working on this for a while and is also in good community standing, I’m sure they had this discussion previously and have made some sort of arrangement that is of benefit to all parties.

This feels more like formalising the rules for everyone going forwards to enable more community projects - great example for us all to follow @NiamhAstra!

I agree

4 Likes

Legal done right covers all bases when everybody is buddy-buddy, so that everything is ironclad if they fall out with one another. Just ask the Winklevoss brothers.

Of course I’m 100% sure everything is honky-dory and everybody behaves impeccably… now.

At any rate, it doesn’t hurt to play devil’s advocate.

1 Like

I agree

1 Like