"Cannot Parse File" Error When Using Sub-GHZ Commands on Flipper

Hey al! As the title says, I am having some issues using the Sub-GHZ functionality of my Flipper. I have added the .sub files from Github for for the Tesla charging port and gas station signs, but whenever I try to use one I get a “cannot parse file” error. Any ideas? Did I not set this up properly?

I have no idea… But I have some experience with text file parsing. What exactly was the process of getting these files from the GitHub repo and putting them on your flipper? I ask because there are so many little details with file parsing having to do with the carriage return character (ASCII 13) and the line feed or new line character (ASCII 10)… certain systems and parsing methods count on test a line feed and some require carriage return and line feed together… and sometimes if you copy and paste text it will not necessarily capture this correctly. Also if you open files in the wrong text editor and save it without making any actual changes, it can change up the line feeds.

Since your error is parsing related this kind of thing immediately came to mind

Thanks @amal! Process was as follows:

1. Remove SD card from Flipper
  2. Insert SD card into computer
  3. Download .SUB files from GitHub individually
  4. Copy .SUB files to subghz folder in SD card
  5. Eject SD card
  6. Reinsert SD card into Flipper
  7. Restart device
  8. Test new sub-ghz

did you confirm the files weren’t zipped?

I did, yep! Just the .SUB files.

:thinking:

So I followed my guide also and it works ( I did the fulld SubGHz folder though, not individual .sub files

This is what mine looks like

Screenshot-20221020-124329

Screenshot-20221020-124302

Screenshot-20221020-124318

Screenshot-20221020-123957

Screenshot-20221020-122723

Screenshot-20221020-124447

To clarify, did you overwrite the original SubGHz folder with the new folder, or just copy the entire contents into the original SubGHz folder?

Also curious if you did it via the SD card or qFlipper.

I’m not saying you have to, nor is it the best way to do it, but personally I don’t fuck around with installation stuff, Just like the PM3, any issues, I just start clean.
The Flipper install, I formatted my SD card and started from scratch.

SD card for “bigger / longer” installs, qFlipper for quick additions

Good to know @Pilgrimsmaster, I’ll try that! Do you do a full wipe-and-clean for each firmware upgrade? I know it’s best to upgrade from stock → custom vs. custom → custom, so I personally revert to stock before upgrading custom firware, which for me is Unleashed.

No, only for a “How To” guide, to help other people. :wink:
Firmware updates I would simply use the .tgz OTA update.
BUT, if I was getting unexpected / unexplained errors, and the fix wasn’t obvious / quick / easy I wouldn’t waste time chasing my tail trying to fix it, I would do a full wipe, and start clean.

Or if I was changing firmware eg. from RogueMaster to Unleashed etc

Again, not saying my way is the right way, it’s just the way I do it.

2 Likes

That is super helpful, thank you! Will give it a shot.

@Pilgrimsmaster I had a couple questions about your “full wipe” process:

1. When formatting the SD card, do you do so within Flipper/qFlipper, or just through your desktop/laptop’s OS?
  2. Do you do a DFU repair to reinstall the stock firmware, or just a regular .tgz update with qFlipper?

So I just went through the same thing. Copy only the RAW sub code from github do not download the file. If you did download you get a bunch of HTML that makes it say “cannot parse file”. Once I copied the RAW and overwrote what was on my SD card it was working perfectly. Hope that helps everyone.

Hello,
I had the same problem that it prevented me from opening the subghz files, what I could notice is that for some reason the files with .sub extension that are saved in the subghz folder of the sd card get damaged. These files are simple in plain text but they must have a format and I don’t understand why suddenly special characters appear that do not allow them to be opened by the flipper. These files can be opened from a text editor. In my case what I did was:

1. extract the SD and open it on the pc
  2. Look for the file with the damaged .sub extension on the memory card
  3. Verify that the file format is correct or does not have special or corrupted characters.
    4.For example, when opening a file with the editor, it should look something like this

Filetype: Flipper SubGhz Key File
Version 1
Frequency: 433920000
Preset: FuriHalSubGhzPresetOok650Async
Protocol: Security+ 1.0
Bit: 42
Key: 1C 41 D2 39 E6 A3 8B CC

1. In my case the file type and version headers were damaged with random and special characters. I changed them and put like the example above, I saved it
  2. Put the SD card back into the flipper and reboot the device.

I hope it helps you.