Can't Protect (Lock Tag) - Write Protect Failure

Hi guys, I was using NFC tag for a while and now wanted to lock my tag from rewrite, so I tried to do it with “NFC TagWriter by NXP” on Android. I am choosing “Lock Tag”, scanning, but it’s not possible to lock due to erors. I keep getting them randomly, so I can’t even understand what is the problem.

1. Write Protect failed (unknown error).
  2. This tag cant be protected (Parts of) tag protected
  3. Something like “Write Protect failed (IO Failure)” (don’t remember exact code, but IO Failure was there 100%)

Tag type is ISO 14443-3A, NXP Mifare Ultralight - NTAG216

1 Like

Is this an implant you are trying to do this to? If so, what implant?

3 Likes

It is xNT NFC Chip (ISO 14443-3A, NXP Mifare Ultralight - NTAG216)
Untitled
Tag Info

2 Likes

When you first installed the implant, did you use the Dangerous NFC app to secure your implant?

3 Likes

Actually I don’t remember.

1. I can write to it, so there is no lock.
  2. I can read it without any passwords.
  3. I can’t remove protection.

So, I didn’t secure I guess.

2 Likes

Try scanning with the TagInfo app instead of TagWriter. Go to the Full Scan tab and tell us what it says under these bytes:

3 Likes

Untitled

1 Like

@amal

See anything funny with these configuration bytes?

3 Likes

I know that the NExT comes with the NFC portion set up so that the locking bits are disabled entirely, removing any chance of them being write locked. However, the xNT info page states that they come unlocked, and they need to have these bits set by the Dangerous NFC app to stop them from changing.

@stasuk2015 can I see the config info from memory page E2? From what I can tell you have disabled the lock bytes using the dangerous NFC app, but I can’t confirm without seeing the data there. However, Im gonna say you have disabled the write lock bits based on the fact that you can not set them right now.

As a side question, why are you trying to lock the implant from rewrite? This is a permanent action that cannot be undone, there by rendering your implant (something which is hard to swap out) locked in its current state with the current information on it until the end of time. What if you wanted to change the information at some point?

3 Likes

Of course, here it is E2 included. I don’t think I will ever need to change my data on this tag, this is the only place where I can see it and it is impossible to remember, so I don’t want to lose it because of some drunk stupid mistake or fatfinger, just a bit of paranoya. Moreover I have another xNT to implant to another place in my body if I will ever need to have rewritable tag for temporarily data, also I am thinking to use it as a backup tag for my first.

From what I can see, the data bits are set so that the write lock bits can never be set to locked. It looks like you did use the app to secure the chip. I wouldn’t be too concerned about the data being lost or overwritten however, as you would have to purposefully overwrite the data.

Thaough, if the data is so important to you, it may be a good idea to back it up onto some form of external media. What would you do if the chip ever failed, ya know?

2 Likes

Sorry to hear, but what I can do, right? Apparently I did something wrong while testing functions with my tag right after implanting that’s why I wasn’t sure about it.

Yeah that’s why I thought it would be good idea to implant another one to the different body part, I can easily break it in my hand or just lose it because of any sort of injury. The only place I think is okay to back it up is my body and not cloud storage, emails, papers - I don’t think it is secure, you can lose an access at any time by a number of reasons and I have already experienced this problem in the past and it did cost me some money. You can ‘lose’ your body too, but chances are not that big if you know what I mean.

I am just curious which places I can use to implant another one, I saw some people implant into the armpit but I don’t like it. I wanted to use upper body or leg, but can’t find obvious great place.

1 Like

If you are attempting to use this for mainly storage, maybe something like the FlexDF2 would be a good option with 8k of storage. The flex devices can also be installed in many different locations.

I’m not a medical professional, but I can imagine that the chest/breast area would be an acceptable implant location for a flex device as there are no joints there. It would be available to scan, and more protected from external damage in that location. Also, the flex line of devices have more consistency in reads and are just overall superior to their x series counterparts in alot of ways.

2 Likes

Yes he has, the scans match exactly what the Dangerous NFC app does to protect the tag.

My question is why? Why would you want to lock the tag? Are you aware that locking the tag means that you can never ever change the data on it? There is no way back from a locked tag, there is no “unlock”… this is why we disable this capability… because it just doesn’t make sense for an implant to lock it so it can never be changed.

If you want to ensure that the data is protected against change, you can update the AUTH0 byte to protect the memory blocks against writing UNLESS the correct password is used to authenticate first. This would effectively protect the data on the chip, but still leave it possible to change later if you provide a password to do so.

You can put an implant basically anywhere that isn’t directly up against bone, in a flexing area (a joint), or in a weight-bearing area (palm of the hand, bottom of the foot, etc.) that might cause undue pressure on the implant.

Of course, the whole idea of placement is mostly about usability… the hand is a complex body part, but it also makes use of the implant the most practical… so in the hand, the best place is between the thumb and index finger because it’s the safest place in the hand… but there are other areas of the hand that a careful placement is perfectly ok… it’s just, the point is that utility and safety are parallel concerns when choosing an area to implant.

1 Like