Chip + Magnet Combo

<story>
I bought an alarm for my motorbike. :motorcycle:
I installed it and was happy with it… for two days.
The device slowly (2 days) drained the battery down.

The only option to keep the alarm seemed to be connecting a treacle charger to the battery. (and to buy a long enough cable that reaches from my garage to work at least)

Then I was also thinking about a solar panel :sun_behind_small_cloud:to resolve this… but that doesn’t give enough juice. (measured it)

Despite studying electronics for years I took a deep breath and contacted professionals to help.
I secretly hoped they will try to sell me an alarm that costs [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅xxxx)̲̅$̲̅]
because I have to admit, the alarm I had was a Chinese :poop:.
Their best advice was… buy a bigger bike that fits a stronger battery, but not so sophisticatedly:
-AMPERHOUR, mate, that’s what you need!
:cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:
:angry: I was fuming so started to look for alternative solutions… without much success.
I had to realise that small cc bikes need to be chained down at least.

Anyways, to solve the issue I thought I could just include a switch that could turn off the alarm and VOILÁ… case closed! Unless it isn’t!
MY GENIUS EQUATION WAS MISSING THE LOCK ITSELF!
Me being a silly pickle thinking that switching off the alarm would be good idea, huh??!!
(,Ծ_ლ) :cucumber:
The reason I'm going into the story is to tell what the project is NOT GOOD FOR btw. Stay tuned, I get to the point:

I didn’t give up! I thought about including a reed switch as circuit breaker and came up with a design:
</story>

clrscr
<idea>

ICONOGRAPHY:

This would be the implant itself. Chip + Magnet
This would be the reader.
The ping pong bat rotated counterclockwise meant to represent the antenna.
The loaf of bread under the reader is a reed switch.
The big red question mark would be the lock itself. It has to be mechanic to save power.
Plus on top, ground on bottom.

The other doodles on the picture are another implant with an extra LED.

Why would it be good, apart from a long lasting battery?
It would be useful for things that are small, or you need to save weight, like in the case of a suitcase. The surface of the lagguage could be smooth from the outside (continuous), no keyholes or code locks to attack.
DISCLAIMER! I am unlikely to be the person who designs a gun or a suitcase, these are just ideas.

</idea>

…that’s about it.

1 Like

I loved everything about that post, thank you :+1:

1 Like

I did fiddle with an idea like this with my next and xG3, installed on R3 & R4, but for a door lock to save power.

I managed to place my hand right in the testbench/prototype, but I got problems with finding the sweets pot on the door itself.
I think the simple solution for this would be multiple Reed switches in parallel, but I never got this far as I just threw in a wallwart and called it a day :stuck_out_tongue:

My mail motivation for the Reed was to increase the security as the magnet is needed to activate the system, thus if my UID leaks out there’s one extra layer of “protection”.

1 Like

That’s the kind of solution I applaud! Smart and simple. :bulb:

Edit: This made me think!
Tuning the lock for the magnet and get a chip with long(er) reading range. :thinking: