Company name issues

I had to look up this word and will be using it at every possible opportunity from now on

2 Likes

8 Likes

“I didn’t choose the borg life….

…but that was futile” ?

1 Like

The only issue with the name for me is trying to convince one of my parents that this is not in fact that dangerous

Tell them this: if you meet a murderer, the last thing you’ll see him wearing is a T-shirt that says “I’m a murderer”. By that token, ask yourself whether the stuff sold by a company that calls itself “Dangerous Things” is really that dangerous…

1 Like

There are many other cool words to use then…

Here are a couple to get you started:

merryandrew - a fool (as used in Kate and Leopold)
bedight - adorn (see Tasting History with Max Miller)

2 Likes

My favorite usage is from “El Dorado” by Edgar Allen Poe

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old—
This knight so bold—
And o’er his heart a shadow—
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow—
‘Shadow,’ said he,
‘Where can it be—
This land of Eldorado?’

‘Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,’
The shade replied,—
‘If you seek for Eldorado!’

4 Likes

Looking forward to hitting someone with ‘you’re such a fucking milquetoast merryandrew’.

I’m reading a book called ‘The road’ by Cormac Mccarthy. Awesome read, but should come with a dictionary.
That guy’s lexicon is something else.

2 Likes

I agree. The word “Dangerous” definitely attracted me to the site.

I was searching around for a ring that supports mifare DESfire. Many YouTube videos later, impulse bought a flex implant with the ring. After some time in a drawer the implant got installed yesterday evening. I’m pretty sure the branding helped make it cool and metal. I wouldn’t have made the leap to be brave and do it otherwise. Obligatory humorous name ideas: Cyborgs 'R Us, Coils Inside

Edit: Mine was installed professionally by Patrick Sarcono of Bound by Design.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s fair… but also these are exactly the people we don’t want as customers… people that lose composure over a name… chances are they would be more trouble than they’d be worth. Think of it as a filter :slight_smile:

As much as a I want this to be a more mainstream product, it’s not there yet. What we want to avoid right now is the type of person who approaches their purchasing process like a child - by that I mean they place all the personal responsibility for their own safety and happiness on the vendor, and in turn take no responsibility for themselves or their own actions… and trust me, there are millions of people like this. This kind of person would be very likely to buy an implant product, open the kit without reading anything, take the injector out of the pouch and let it sit in a drawer for a few weeks, then get drunk and jab it into their hand all fucked up like… then come at us with full legal force when they lose their hand to infection and stupidity.

I had considered several names before settling on Dangerous Things. I think I even registered the domain safethings.com at one time… but other names were considered like Cyborg Tools and Biohacker Central and others… but when talking to random people about what I was selling, the more “upturned nose, wrinkled brow, perpetually faklempt” types would always have some lame comment like “that seems dangerous” no matter what the name was… so I was like “You know what, fuck it… I’ll call it Dangerous Things and nobody like this will ever buy from me and that will be a good thing.” … I ended up buying the domain from the then owner for $2000 and never looked back.

On the other hand, when it came time to consider wider scope applications for more mainstream types, VivoKey Technologies Inc. was launched in 2018 to develop more secure implants for exactly that kind of market.

19 Likes

@The13Beast
I love that poem by Edger Allen Poe! I had it memorized for a while but forgot the second stanza. Good stuff. I recommend his stories like the Pit and the Pendulum for some other good reading.

2 Likes