Comparison between xBT and thermometer

Still, the question here is what do you mean by difference. Do you mean that’s the margin of error? Or do you mean that simply it’s a linear difference at any temperature? It will always be 3° different but extremely accurate with a constant 3° offset? Does the offset change along the temperature scale? Is this a percentage of variance or a strict offset? You know what I mean?

This is why a scientific inquiry requires breaking larger questions down into simple questions you can answer and then build the overall solution from those answers.

The reason I’m suggesting in vitro testing is that the body doesn’t change temperature all that much. I’d like to know what the extremes of the sensors range reveal. Of course then there’s the practical application aspect. Who cares if the xBT is inaccurate at temperatures of 50C or 20C if the body is never going to reach those temperatures. I guess for me, I’m curious what the actual performance of the sensor is regardless of the application. Maybe someone wants to put the xBT into something other than human body to measure temperature.

I know, and it was pretty much what I was expecting - but the problem, as you can see in the data provided by both @biospoonie and me, is that there is no constant offset at all. If there was, it would be totally no problem - either just add 3° to everything you measure, or write a little update for the Flipper or whatever reader you use that does that automatically. But there is nothing like a stable offset at all…
So you have both xBT and BeUno installed - if you read them simultaneously, you say

So, for every reading, there is a stable offset of 3°C between the two implants? This would be really amazing (though to be honest, I am hesitant to believe it)! Where are your implants placed? Have you compared the temperature the two implant spit out to that of a thermometer?

Would be really interesting for sure - measuring temperature is something really useful, the chip itself is very small (so you could put it pretty much everywhere to monitor temperatures), so it would be cool to know how accurate it is and what range of temperature it can take…

1 Like

This is why it’s important to answer the question of xBT sensor accuracy and margin of error across a wide range of temperatures. Until then, we can’t really know if the implant location in the body is the only reason for such a wide variation of temperatures. But, if we do find out that the xBT has a stable linear offset from control readings, then we can start in on the implant location problem with the confidence of knowing that any variation observed is purely due to location and nothing else.

I think this is a worth while experiment to do … I will start preparing to make a video for YouTube :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello, I just received my xbt and can’t wait for the installation. I was wondering does the chip needs to be removed or is it a lifetime long battery ?

There is no battery. It works as any other Chip implant.

I am not a medical doctor but in my opinion, the importance ist not the exact temperature but the deviations between the measurements (eg in a day, in a weeek). For example i noticed, wenn i am sweating, the temperature goes down, wenn i am showering the temperature goes Up. I have the beuno in my left chest and the xBt on my right chest underneath the skin. Of course the core temperature ist more accurate at rectal measurements. But If you dont look at the actual correct temperature, and deviation line you can already figure Out If there is something going on in your body.

This is true - there is a clear difference between the temperature when I just had a shower vs. when I come back from a walk in the cold. Not a big surprise, though :wink:

Not for my use case - like I said, I track my cycle with my temperature. I can see when ovulation happens, I can roughly see when my next period will happen, such stuff. I measure my temp roughly about the same time in the morning, before getting up, and the temperature the thermometer spits out makes sense (like, over the course of a cycle it creates a very typical graph - there is a bit of variation between the cycles, in absolute temperature, but they all look very similar). The temperature from the xBT / flipper doesn’t, at least not for that use case. Having an offset between +0,2°C and -2,6°C definitely ruins this kind of tracking.
Yeah, I can see if I’m getting sick, and I can see if I partied too hard last night, but that’s pretty much it.

Not saying it’s not a cool thing to have! But I was hoping for more accurate measurements (so, a stable offset).

I’m getting ready to do this experiment to check the xBT accuracy and margin of error. If the sensor proves accurate enough with a low margin of error, perhaps some “innovative” installation locations can be explored for better results :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for doing the tests! :star_struck:
This prevents me from using my still sterile spare xBT, so I might be a good guinea pig for experimental installs :wink:
Though it still has to be shallow enough to be read by the flipper - mine is deep enough I can’t feel it through the skin, and sometimes the flipper has a little trouble reading it…

Well I have some ideas for reading temperatures when installed in more interesting places.

I’ve ordered this thermometer for accuracy and just in case anyone wants to try to replicate results.

Got an xBT under my left arm, started putting temperature readings into my iPhone’s health app last week. Lots of variability here, too!

Ultimate goal is to throw a copper coil under my bedsheets and have it log temperature data once a minute while I’m in bed. Excited to see what data I can glean from that!

Likewise, fucker dove under my fascia, and is now well hidden. Put a dab of tattoo at either end of it while I could still find the thing, which turned out to be a prudent decision.

1 Like