Connective tissue question

Question for somebody who knows anatomy.

Most of the skin on the body can “slide” very easily. In places, it’s taught and doesn’t move much (like around fingers) and in others, you can literally pull it inches from where it normally sits.

My understanding is that the skin doesn’t slide, but rather is anchored to the meat underneath with flexy/stretchy connective tissue - the topmost layer of which we stick our implants in. And after pulling my skin here and there, basically it seems the thicker the layer of connective tissue, the more the skin can be moved sideways.

Still, there doesn’t seem to be more than a 1/8" of skin and connective tissue on, say, my forearm, and maybe 1/4" on my belly, yet the skin on my forearm can shft a good inch, and 2" on my belly.

Is connective tissue really that stretchy? It seems incredible to me that so little of it can take so much shear without damage, or even putting up much of a fight.

The question isn’t totally off-topic, as I’m exploring the possibility of implanting a large glassie in a really stretchy area, and I think I run the risk of placing the implant over a bone I’d rather it wasn’t anywhere near just by moving around. So I’m wondering if implanting it deeper - basically at the base of the connective tissue, just overtop the muscle, would help it stay put.

2 Likes

I’m on a train currently, so I can’t do proper research, but yep, it’s all about the connective tissue. It basically connects skin and “meaty stuff”, and its stretchyness depends on the way certain fibres are aligned. On humans, you can’t move skin very much - compare it to the skin of dogs or cats, for example, where you can easily lift the skin much more.

I have no clue about the benefits of implanting something beneath that tissue, but I guess it would have quite an impact on reading range…

Ah yes true, cats really seem made out of rubber when you pick them up by the back of the neck :slight_smile:

Read range is no issue with that one. I mean to use it with the long range readers, and it’s picked up from a good 6" away.

Thing is, I’m not sure you can “aim” through the deptch of the connective tissue that accurately. I have a feeling the only way to be sure it’s not in it (and to ensure it won’t take a hike afterwards) it to install it in the muscle, and I’m not really keen on doing that.

There really isn’t any difference with fascia tissue depth… that is fairly consistent. As far as I understand it, human fascia doest stretch much… but the undertissue has more to do with motility. Fingers have no muscle under it’s really just a bit of connective tissue, some shit to hold tendons and nerves in the right place, and bone… hence the skin doesn’t move much at all. Forearms have a bit more fat and connective tissue surrounding the muscles… and the muscles themselves are also pretty stretchy… this is why massage works so well… bellys hold fat… even skinny people have a nice fat layer there… and men hold integrated fat which interlaces with muscle and other tissues, whereas women have a clear layer of fat… all this combines to make it appear the skin / fascia can “slide around”.

1 Like

Actually I tried to move my skin tightening my muscles as hard as I could (arm and tummy), so the muscles sure weren’t moving. I guess there’s more fat than it looks in-between the fascia and the muscles, even though the thickness figures I gave were half of the thickness of pinched skin measured with calipers - so not much.

Anyway, the human body never ceases to amaze me - and get in my way to stick implants in creative locations :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cross section of forearm

800wm

Look at all that yellow fat. It’s pretty crazy.

1 Like

It’s one of the reasons why people who are truly starved to death look like “skin and bones”. As sort of filler material, it does a great job of energy storage but also padding and thermally protecting bits of the body.

1 Like

I’ve seen many sections of arm like this one as I was researching implant spaces and it never occurred to me how much fat there was. Funny…

I can directly relate to that: when I dropped 110 lbs years ago, the very first thing that happened as I started slimming down somewhat visibly was that I got back pain. The doc said it was very common in people who crash-diet, because the spine is partly supported by fat that isn’t there anymore. His advice: tone up. I did, the pain went away.

Now that I’m thin, I have trouble sitting on hard-backed chairs because my deviated spine sticks out - a problem I never had before when I was fat.

hmm… well let’s just say i’ve never had a problem amorphously forming to any surface.

5 Likes

“Amorphously forming” hehe. Interesting description. It’s almost like a slightly shit superpower you have there :slight_smile:

tenor

3 Likes

Hydration levels seem to make a big difference for me too. :thinking:

1 Like

If you mean to tell me I should lay off the sauce, you Sir win the subtlety award hands down :laughing: